Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 won't boot after disabling Google Search

I disabled Google Search on my Nexus 5 and now it is stuck on the booting screen.
    After looking around on here, I found that part of the launcher is contained in Google Search.
    Is there a way to enable it again without completely resetting my phone?? Or is there a way to install another launcher?

Thanks.
  2. Best Answer

Okay, so I just had this happened and the only thing helpful I found with this page!! So I added myself just so I could reply. I disabled all my google apps because it kept driving me crazy asking to update info and that it was having log in problems... silly move! Shouldn't have disabled and just dealt with it.... anyway... I read a comment about connecting with another device, well I couldn't get my phone to connect through computer or anything so I asked my friend to call me, once she called me I was able to put her on speaker and access my settings and enable everything that I had disabled! YAY!!!!!! I have 4 young kids and all their pics and videos are on my phone (which btw I am doing a back up right now! lol) So if this happens to you, have someone call your phone so you can access your settings and enable everything... hope this helps someone like you helped me

Linux: The power beneath

Default re:

Quote Originally Posted by keikurausu View Post
    I disabled Google Search on my Nexus 5 and now it is stuck on the booting screen.
    After looking around on here, I found that part of the launcher is contained in Google Search.
    Is there a way to enable it again without completely resetting my phone?? Or is there a way to install another launcher?
    Yep, that is not something you should disable.
    Yep, you will probably have to wipe the phone to factory defaults.
    You have to be very careful what you disable
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default re:

How do I backup my data in that case?

Default re:

Have you tried booting from stock recovery? If it boots, make sure the first thing you do is enable Google search. Good luck.

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Default re:

How do I do that?

I went to the recovery option and hit reboot now, but that didn't work.

Default re:

How do I do that?

I went to the recovery option and hit reboot now, but that didn't work.
    Have you plugged the device to a computer to see if you can access your files? If so, copy and paste all your pic, vids, documents, and whatever else you can to your computer desktop.

You will then (probably) have to boot back into recovery and select restore instead. I don't want to be responsible for whatever you lose. Do this at your own risk if all else fails.

Hopefully someone else comes along and can offer a better alternative.

Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Default re:

Problem is solved. Finally got something to work after trying multiple things. From my PC I sent a shout to the phone from AVG which I had installed on my phone, which then triggered the start screen. I was able to get to google search and enabled it again.
    Thanks for the support!

Default re:

Problem is solved. Finally got something to work after trying multiple things. From my PC I sent a shout to the phone from AVG which I had installed on my phone, which then triggered the start screen. I was able to get to google search and enabled it again.
    Thanks for the support!
    That's great! I bet you won't be disabling anything again.

Thumbs up re:

Okay, so I just had this happened and the only thing helpful I found with this page!! So I added myself just so I could reply. I disabled all my google apps because it kept driving me crazy asking to update info and that it was having log in problems... silly move! Shouldn't have disabled and just dealt with it.... anyway... I read a comment about connecting with another device, well I couldn't get my phone to connect through computer or anything so I asked my friend to call me, once she called me I was able to put her on speaker and access my settings and enable everything that I had disabled! YAY!!!!!! I have 4 young kids and all their pics and videos are on my phone (which btw I am doing a back up right now! lol) So if this happens to you, have someone call your phone so you can access your settings and enable everything... hope this helps someone like you helped me
    Thanked by 2:

Default re:

Sorry to bump, but thank you so much!

I tried so many different things from ADB, Recovery, ADB Shell, 3rd party programs, etc...

All it took was a simple Phone call and to renable. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Default re:

Just had the same problem. I reset my task killer, to a little too aggressive apparently, and it closed/disabled Google Search. The phone crapped out on me, then upon reboot it got stuck in the loading screen.
    All it took was a friend calling my phone and staying on the line while i jumped into my app settings and re-enabled Google Search, problem solved!

Default Re:

genius... so i tried to have my wife call me via her cell no go, she received my mailbox,no go..... then i said, well i will try from my land line, it WORKED i am so jazzed i cannot tell you this is so easy. amazing i love you all.
    paz
    from mexico.

Default Re: Why won't my Nexus 5 boot after disabling Google Search?

i face same problem, that time i am open play store , click my apps, there already installed app list show, you search which app you disable , you again click once again install , it is automatically solve after download the app, important already your phone switch on the internet (WIFI or DATA)

Default Re: Nexus 5 won't boot after disabling Google Search

I think it would be simple programming to not allow to disable necessary things....

Posted via the Android Central App

Hi,

This will not stop the phone boot. This will only freeze your loading screen - the repetitive animation.

In the Backgroun your phone will boot up and start normally.

To force Android show the normal screen you can :
    • If you don't have a PIN to enter in order to enable your SIM, call yourself from another phone. if your carrier force a PIN to activate your phone SIM - enable phone calls, it means you cannot call yourself to force the Android to show the good-screen.
    • If you have Wi-Fi Activate and automatically connected to a wireless, then go to another device and enter play.google.com and install remotely Google app on your broken device. In some seconds the phone should display the lock screen.
    • If you don't have WiFi activated, and no other way to communicate with the phone i have no idea what to recommend. Maybe install Google apk through ABD in recovery mode....
    • or sue google for letting this very easy trick ruining your life because probably you'll need to reset your phone to factory settings.

Good luck.

Even though in boot loading screen, the phone is working, and booted. Install google app from play.google.com (if you have wifi on) it will trigger the phone to display the lock screen.