Why won't my Nexus 5 boot after disabling Google Search?

keikurausu

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5 won't boot after disabling Google Search

I disabled Google Search on my Nexus 5 and now it is stuck on the booting screen.
After looking around on here, I found that part of the launcher is contained in Google Search.
Is there a way to enable it again without completely resetting my phone?? Or is there a way to install another launcher?

Thanks.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
re:

I disabled Google Search on my Nexus 5 and now it is stuck on the booting screen.
After looking around on here, I found that part of the launcher is contained in Google Search.
Is there a way to enable it again without completely resetting my phone?? Or is there a way to install another launcher?

Yep, that is not something you should disable.
Yep, you will probably have to wipe the phone to factory defaults.
You have to be very careful what you disable :)

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

Have you tried booting from stock recovery? If it boots, make sure the first thing you do is enable Google search. Good luck.

Posted via Android Central App

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

How do I do that?

I went to the recovery option and hit reboot now, but that didn't work.

Have you plugged the device to a computer to see if you can access your files? If so, copy and paste all your pic, vids, documents, and whatever else you can to your computer desktop.

You will then (probably) have to boot back into recovery and select restore instead. I don't want to be responsible for whatever you lose. Do this at your own risk if all else fails.

Hopefully someone else comes along and can offer a better alternative.

keikurausu

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
re:

Problem is solved. Finally got something to work after trying multiple things. From my PC I sent a shout to the phone from AVG which I had installed on my phone, which then triggered the start screen. I was able to get to google search and enabled it again.
Thanks for the support!

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

Problem is solved. Finally got something to work after trying multiple things. From my PC I sent a shout to the phone from AVG which I had installed on my phone, which then triggered the start screen. I was able to get to google search and enabled it again.
Thanks for the support!

That's great! I bet you won't be disabling anything again.

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

Okay, so I just had this happened and the only thing helpful I found with this page!! So I added myself just so I could reply. I disabled all my google apps because it kept driving me crazy asking to update info and that it was having log in problems... silly move! Shouldn't have disabled and just dealt with it.... anyway... I read a comment about connecting with another device, well I couldn't get my phone to connect through computer or anything so I asked my friend to call me, once she called me I was able to put her on speaker and access my settings and enable everything that I had disabled! YAY!!!!!! I have 4 young kids and all their pics and videos are on my phone (which btw I am doing a back up right now! lol) So if this happens to you, have someone call your phone so you can access your settings and enable everything... hope this helps someone like you helped me :)

glimmerman01

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
re:

Sorry to bump, but thank you so much!

I tried so many different things from ADB, Recovery, ADB Shell, 3rd party programs, etc...

All it took was a simple Phone call and to renable. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Ren W

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
re:

Just had the same problem. I reset my task killer, to a little too aggressive apparently, and it closed/disabled Google Search. The phone crapped out on me, then upon reboot it got stuck in the loading screen.
All it took was a friend calling my phone and staying on the line while i jumped into my app settings and re-enabled Google Search, problem solved!

cisco diet

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Re:

genius... so i tried to have my wife call me via her cell no go, she received my mailbox,no go..... then i said, well i will try from my land line, it WORKED i am so jazzed i cannot tell you this is so easy. amazing i love you all.
paz
from mexico.

Marc Mari

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
i face same problem, that time i am open play store , click my apps, there already installed app list show, you search which app you disable , you again click once again install , it is automatically solve after download the app, important already your phone switch on the internet (WIFI or DATA)

claud rapoza

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 won't boot after disabling Google Search

I think it would be simple programming to not allow to disable necessary things....

Posted via the Android Central App

robby_krlos

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

This will not stop the phone boot. This will only freeze your loading screen - the repetitive animation.

In the Backgroun your phone will boot up and start normally.

To force Android show the normal screen you can :
  • If you don't have a PIN to enter in order to enable your SIM, call yourself from another phone. if your carrier force a PIN to activate your phone SIM - enable phone calls, it means you cannot call yourself to force the Android to show the good-screen.
  • If you have Wi-Fi Activate and automatically connected to a wireless, then go to another device and enter play.google.com and install remotely Google app on your broken device. In some seconds the phone should display the lock screen.
  • If you don't have WiFi activated, and no other way to communicate with the phone i have no idea what to recommend. Maybe install Google apk through ABD in recovery mode....
  • or sue google for letting this very easy trick ruining your life because probably you'll need to reset your phone to factory settings.:(

Good luck.

robby_krlos

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Even though in boot loading screen, the phone is working, and booted. Install google app from play.google.com (if you have wifi on) it will trigger the phone to display the lock screen.

lowestprime

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Don't fear, I will save you.
This bug literally ruined my life, however I have grown immensely in the process of figuring out how to fix it. All I can say is persistence pays off.... big time.
What I did to get my Nexus 7 2013 (rooted and running android 6.0.1) to finally boot after stupidly disabling/uninstalling the Google voice and Google search app packages, was extract an old Nandroid backup containing undisabled versions of the Google app's corresponding app and data files, and then pasted these folders into their appropriate locations within the device itself using TWRP's recovery file manager.

ZIP WITH FOLDERS LINK:
https://mega.nz/#!ioc2jb5S!Cr54Izn-987p1bma3fCTE_YndJYXk1HKU0DhFLh7TsY
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Install the newest version of TWRP onto your device.
2. Boot into bootloader mode (recovery/TWRP mode works as well).
3. Connect your device to your computer with the folders ready to be copied over.
4. Copy the two folders into your devices root/internal storage aka the group of folders that appear once you click on your device in windows explorer (most importantly, get them onto your device).
5. Boot into TWRP if not already and click advanced in the lower left-hand corner then file manager.
6. Once in file manager, navigate to the location you copied the two folders onto your phone.
7. Copy the folder with a -# at the end of its file name by clicking on it and then clicking copy folder from the options that pop up.
8. Navigate to /data/app and paste the folder there.
9. Copy the folder withOUT a -# at the end of its file name.
10. Navigate to /data/data and copy the folder there.
11. Boot up your finally working device (you shouldn't see any weird dimming or other odd symptoms during bootup this time)
12. Once booted up, if Google doesn't automatically do this, update the Google app to the newest version
13. Never disable/uninstall/freeze the google app ever again.
14. Just kidding, there actually is a way to disable it without preventing your device from booting, just Google it and you will find it; it would be smarter however to just leave it at that and never uninstall the Google app again.
Good Luck And I Hope This Fixed Your Life/Helped You In Some Way

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci