Any faith left for sprint

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
[...] my husband does not receive my texts or some of them anyway and on occasion I don't get one or two from him. We are on same plan with Sprint [...]. We just got the Note 3. Text not going thru and not received on the other end is frustrating. If you call or go by to see tech support all they want to do is a factory reset. They seem tho think that fixes everything. It doesn't..

Try going through that for a year.... except also add REPEATING text messages, like 3, 10, or 16 times over HOURS. Because of that and continued data issues, I left Sprint in Feb (after 15 years) for T-Mobile. Have not had a SINGLE text message (or data connection) problem since. They really blew it.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Very nice.....weird upload though lol

When I was on Sprint and they FINALLY brought LTE, it was around 20Mb/s for a few months... before it then dropped down to maybe 3Mb/s during any normal time. But I would regularly test and get good download and have it completely error out on upload due to no connection or lost packets or timeouts. Other times getting like 0.01Mb/s upload. It was, indeed, very weird.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Try going through that for a year.... except also add REPEATING text messages, like 3, 10, or 16 times over HOURS. Because of that and continued data issues, I left Sprint in Feb (after 15 years) for T-Mobile. Have not had a SINGLE text message (or data connection) problem since. They really blew it.

My wife still has Sprint and she has failed to receive a few picture text I've sent her...... Regular text seems to go just fine but if you try and send a picture she never receives it....... Before I left for T-Mobile I don't recall missing any text but I have had them all of a sudden show up hours or days later almost out of nowhere....... but I've only been on T-Mobile a month now so time will tell..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My wife still has Sprint and she has failed to receive a few picture text I've sent her...... Regular text seems to go just fine but if you try and send a picture she never receives it....... Before I left for T-Mobile I don't recall missing any text but I have had them all of a sudden show up hours or days later almost out of nowhere....... but I've only been on T-Mobile a month now so time will tell..

Does she have her mobile data on? Or does she have a good mobile signal where she is at? Sounds like it's something with that since texts (SMS) go through but not picture (MMS).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Good read! For anyone interested :)
Sprint's role as technology outlier may keep it on a road less traveled - FierceWirelessTech

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Didn't sprint delay their LTE goals last december or something?

Why is it that sprint always comes up with a new project while half assing their previous ones?

I'm all For LTE-A, but Sprint should focus more onto building their backhaul first and make sure their towers have LTE first before jumping on the LTE-A bangwagon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for LTE-A, but how are verizon/att/tmobile approaching LTE-A? It doesn't make sense for Sprint to pull another "CDMA" again. Where here we're using our own version of LTE-A, then overseas you have other variants plus Sprint.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Why is it that sprint always comes up with a new project while half assing their previous ones?[...] It doesn't make sense for Sprint to pull another "CDMA" again. .

I think you mean "pull another WiMax".

But I agree. Sprint needs to finish SOMETHING that they start before adding more goals to the pile. Most customers don't care if the top speed is 20Mb or 50Mb or 900Mb/s.... they want REASONABLY FAST all the time and in most places with reliable connections, calls, and voicemail. Sprint is a looooooooong way away from that.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think you mean "pull another WiMax".

But I agree. Sprint needs to finish SOMETHING that they start before adding more goals to the pile. Most customers don't care if the top speed is 20Mb or 50Mb or 900Mb/s.... they want REASONABLY FAST all the time and in most places with reliable connections, calls, and voicemail. Sprint is a looooooooong way away from that.

I'm not to sure if I'm saying this right, but should Sprint really use a "proprietary" form of LTE "8T8R" if Verizon/tmobile/att don't use it?

Shouldn't the goal be to use "similar" phone radios so that it's easier for the phone manufacturers and better for consumers? Think Nexus, iPhone, etc etc. where one phone can be used on all carriers.

I think we can come to the conclusion that carrier phones are dead. No one wants limited updates and be controlled by the carrier.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not to sure if I'm saying this right, but should Sprint really use a "proprietary" form of LTE "8T8R" if Verizon/tmobile/att don't use it?

Shouldn't the goal be to use "similar" phone radios so that it's easier for the phone manufacturers and better for consumers? Think Nexus, iPhone, etc etc. where one phone can be used on all carriers.

I think we can come to the conclusion that carrier phones are dead. No one wants limited updates and be controlled by the carrier.

I don't think the article meant proprietary when it said "technology our competition is not using yet"

Meaning, they are looking ahead and advancing with better more reliable technology, (hardware) than the current ones being used by others.

Yes, I VERY much agree Sprint should focus on deploying consistent and MORE reliable service all across the board, than faster and faster one.
But from what I read and understood, is that they are trying to do both at the same time....and that's what's going to make 'em stand out way ahead of the competition in the long run.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the article meant proprietary when it said "technology our competition is not using yet"

Meaning, they are looking ahead and advancing with better more reliable technology, (hardware) than the current ones being used by others.

Yes, I VERY much agree Sprint should focus on deploying consistent and MORE reliable service all across the board, than faster and faster one.
But from what I read and understood, is that they are trying to do both at the same time....and that's what's going to make 'em stand out way ahead of the competition in the long run.

Stand out? Some of the competition already has what Sprint is trying to achieve now... And continuing to also work on their networks.

Again.. Don't get why you think Sprint is the only one working on their network.. :what:.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
[Sprint] also have less than ideal bands that they have to use for LTE. The other carriers don't have this restriction.

That depends on where you are. For most of the 8 million people in my state, Sprint has 800Mhz coverage available (although not operational yet) and T-Mobile has nothing remotely close available now or in the future here (which is a huge bummer... especially while they brag about 700Mhz going into so many other areas).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The reason Sprint uses 8t8r is because it needs it for 2.5ghz lte. I would argue that it isn't more reliable, 700MHz is better. To the point, Sprint bought 50% of clear for $2.1 billion, so all of clear is worth $4.2 billion including the 133mhz of 2.5ghz spectrum that clear had nationwide . TMobile paid $2.4 billion for just 10mhz of 700MHz spectrum in 13 States.

It is true that the competition isn't using 8t8r yet, and I suspect want use it, because they don't need it for the 700mhz or aws.

As for lte-a, AT&T already has it deployed. While tmobile and Verizon do not have lte-a yet, they can hit theoretically 150mbps on 20+20mhz aws. Currently without carrier aggregation while Sprint needs carrier aggregation to hit 168mbps.

Sprint may be trying to be more consistent and reliable, but their infrastructure spending is less than Verizon, so at their planned rate, they would not catch up to Verizon, as they would need spend substantially more than Verizon on infrastructure

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I think Sprint should focus more on their backhaul than on radio first. Some of the towers near me, when I was on Sprint were so congested during peak hours. You can easily tell that their backhaul was really congested.

From what I've read Network vision was supposed to correct that. Some of Sprint's towers are still connected to T1 lines so obviously a huge bottleneck.

I think tmobiles the only carrier with a fiber backhaul since they started deploying it way back in 2008. Verizon and ATT also have fiber in the majority of their towers now.

Network vision, spark, 8t8tr aside. Sprint's main focus should be a fiber optic backhaul. With a fiber optic backhaul, Sprint can really utilize all that spectrum, but now, it's more of the backhaul that's congested rather than radio. I know Clear's backhaul was mostly microwave, but still, fiber optic is vastly superior and can easily provide for future upgrades. Maybe in a few years....

Last time Sprint "thought ahead" we ended up with wimax and we all know how that went...

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The reason Sprint uses 8t8r is because it needs it for 2.5ghz lte. I would argue that it isn't more reliable, 700MHz is better. To the point, Sprint bought 50% of clear for $2.1 billion, so all of clear is worth $4.2 billion including the 133mhz of 2.5ghz spectrum that clear had nationwide . TMobile paid $2.4 billion for just 10mhz of 700MHz spectrum in 13 States.

It is true that the competition isn't using 8t8r yet, and I suspect want use it, because they don't need it for the 700mhz or aws.

As for lte-a, AT&T already has it deployed. While tmobile and Verizon do not have lte-a yet, they can hit theoretically 150mbps on 20+20mhz aws. Currently without carrier aggregation while Sprint needs carrier aggregation to hit 168mbps.

Sprint may be trying to be more consistent and reliable, but their infrastructure spending is less than Verizon, so at their planned rate, they would not catch up to Verizon, as they would need spend substantially more than Verizon on infrastructure

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

In regards to Clear's 2.5 ghz spectrum, obviously it's no where as ideal as the lower 700 mhz spectrum tmobile acquired. 2.5 ghz is awful, poor building penetration. The only good thing is it provides exceptional performance.... if you can get it.

Vivi#AC

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Anyone having issues with dropping signal on Sprint with the N5 on 4.4.3? Ever since the update every 15 minutes or so I lose all signal for 10 seconds or so and then it reconnects as if nothing has happened. Updated PRL/Profile, Tech Support simply recommends a factory reset. This happens all the time, regardless of if I'm on the phone or not. Can be on a call and suddenly it disconnects. Usually have 3-4 bars (normal signal strength in my area) when it happens.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Anyone having issues with dropping signal on Sprint with the N5 on 4.4.3? Ever since the update every 15 minutes or so I lose all signal for 10 seconds or so and then it reconnects as if nothing has happened. Updated PRL/Profile, Tech Support simply recommends a factory reset. This happens all the time, regardless of if I'm on the phone or not. Can be on a call and suddenly it disconnects. Usually have 3-4 bars (normal signal strength in my area) when it happens.

This is happening to me since I drive, all day long, jumping from tower to tower. But, when I'm on a call, its normal. Perfect HD voice quality, no dropped calls.

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Does this have anything to do with the band 26 (800) testing sites? The radio in 4.4.3 exaggerated the behavior of kicking band 25 (1900) connections off or down to 3g if band 26 is not yet officially deployed. Turning off band 26 seems to fix this
behavior.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis