Google Camera Freezes When Taking HDR+ Photos Only

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I experienced freezing while shooting HDR+ after the initial update, but after un/reinstalling the Google Camera, it seemed fine for a couple of weeks, but the problem has returned with a vengeance. I cannot shoot anything in HDR+ without the camera and phone freezing.

Regular photos snap fine, but when shooting HDR+, the progress indicated gets to about 2 o'clock and then image totally freezes. After a few seconds, it will close and pop up a crash box offering to report or acknowledge with OK. (I've reported it.) Sometimes it will put up a notification that "HDR+ photos are processing in the background, but if you tap that it takes you into the Photos app and there's nothing there and then the whole phone freezes. Yesterday, I noticed the GPS stuck on (was in a basement) at the same time and had to reboot the phone.

I un/reinstalled the update again yesterday and HDR+ worked for a couple of shots, but today it froze again. This is clearly an unacceptable way to manage the problem. I'm tired of missing pictures because the camera app crashes. I was at a major event last week and had Camera crash on launch for the first time. Fortunately, I was able to quickly reboot before snapping a group shot, but if I hadn't noticed beforehand, I would've had a crowd looking at me while I frantically restarted my phone because of a buggy basic app.

Rooted, stock Nexus 5, Android 4.4.2, faux123 kernel (to try and fight the terrible battery life), no GravityBox things which I've seen mentioned as possible causes.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
HDR costs $3; everything costs $7. I don't think you know what the word "free" means.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Disappointed to see only banned spammers replying so far. This morning, this is the scene I discovered:
10174893_667097463345752_6567264054464316947_n.jpg
Four of our cats watching a squirrel outside the window. Two black cats, two Siamese, dark colors inside, morning sun outside. If there was EVER a need for HDR+, this is it. Of course the fraking app froze. Luckily, I was able to get into regular mode to snap the shot, but once again I almost totally missed a moment because of this broken update. There's a thread on Google's support forums with N4 and N5 users complaining, but still no response from Google AFAIK. What a PITA.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Disappointed to see only banned spammers replying so far. This morning, this is the scene I discovered:
View attachment 116580
Four of our cats watching a squirrel outside the window. Two black cats, two Siamese, dark colors inside, morning sun outside. If there was EVER a need for HDR+, this is it. Of course the fraking app froze. Luckily, I was able to get into regular mode to snap the shot, but once again I almost totally missed a moment because of this broken update. There's a thread on Google's support forums with N4 and N5 users complaining, but still no response from Google AFAIK. What a PITA.

Cool! That is a great shot! Thanks for sharing. As far as camera freezing; I tried mine and it works fine. Maybe clearing the camera app data and/or cache?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You might want to try clearing the cache and data maybe?
I tried this after your suggestion and it worked....for a bit, then it failed again. :( I was waiting a few days before declaring you a genius, but there have been two updates and it still freezes even after clearing the cache and data.

I was out for a walk tonight, listening to music and tracking my distance when I came upon something I wanted to photograph. Fire up the camera from the lock screen and it just froze everything solid, forcing me to hold the power down until it rebooted, losing my distance track and generally pissing me off. I uninstalled the update. It'll worm it's way back, but still problematic. Bother.

Fraser Reid

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I got the same problem in my S5 with the google app - But the inbuilt Sammy one works no problems.......just like the extra modes oon the Google app more......

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The fact that it works for a while after resetting, clearing cache, etc., leads me to believe that you have a conflicting app installed.

Any thoughts on what app that might be?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, as much as a PITA as it might be to do this, it might be beneficial to get a working phone/camera: I would return back to stock, and start over. Get rid of the rooted stuff, and just go bare bones stock. Leave off any app that isn't pre-installed for a few days and see if you have any issues. Then slowly return your apps to the phone, seeing if there are any changes with the camera functionality. If nothing works, then I'd try to get a replacement phone. I don't have and haven't had this issue.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering how much of these problems are related to build date, namely whether older units are having more problems? Due to rapidly declining battery health and the camera issues, I got a replacement N5 at the end of May and from then until getting my OnePlus One about 6 weeks later, I didn't have any problems with the camera.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering how much of these problems are related to build date, namely whether older units are having more problems? Due to rapidly declining battery health and the camera issues, I got a replacement N5 at the end of May and from then until getting my OnePlus One about 6 weeks later, I didn't have any problems with the camera.

My Nexus 5 came from the first batch and was ordered within minutes of product release; I have no problems whatsoever

I know people don't want to hear it, but these problems are nearly always caused by misbehaving or incompatible apps. And do keep in mind that OS updates can easily "break" apps, especially apps which try to make use of backdoor or undocumented OS features to add functionality, improve speed, etc. That's why you always see a flurry of app updates soon after the release of an OS patch.

Speaking of which, for those of you who have automatic updating disabled in Play Store options, well, don't do that! At the very least, make sure you are manually checking for updates at least once per week and installing all that you find.

Java William

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
My Nexus 5 came from the first batch and was ordered within minutes of product release; I have no problems whatsoever

I know people don't want to hear it, but these problems are nearly always caused by misbehaving or incompatible apps. And do keep in mind that OS updates can easily "break" apps, especially apps which try to make use of backdoor or undocumented OS features to add functionality, improve speed, etc. That's why you always see a flurry of app updates soon after the release of an OS patch.

Speaking of which, for those of you who have automatic updating disabled in Play Store options, well, don't do that! At the very least, make sure you are manually checking for updates at least once per week and installing all that you find.

I had the same problem with camera. At that time, I lost a precious photo of great moment and I got furious. And then, I thought it was a hardware problem, not software. Finally I am here and found that why it causes. I also updated my OS not so long ago. I should also have switch off automatic updates. may b 2 late 4 me now.

Java William

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with camera. At that time, I lost a precious photo of great moment and I got furious. And then, I thought it was a hardware problem, not software. Finally I am here and found that why it causes. I also updated my OS not so long ago. I should also have switch off automatic updates. may b 2 late 4 me now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz