Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery issues

Can anyone give me some pointers on improving battery life? I don't even have a SIM yet but if I am using Wi-Fi, it quickly runs down in about 5-6 hours. Barely lasting a day with no SIM. Am scared what its life will be when I actually put a SIM

Default Re: Battery issues

The Nexus 5 like most cell phones the number one thing that burns battery is having the screen on and keeping the brightness low is the only real option.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well I have turned off auto brightness. Let's see how that goes

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pratnala View Post
    Can anyone give me some pointers on improving battery life? I don't even have a SIM yet but if I am using Wi-Fi, it quickly runs down in about 5-6 hours. Barely lasting a day with no SIM. Am scared what its life will be when I actually put a SIM
    5-6 hours of what? Stand by? Screen on time? If you're getting 5-6 hours of screen on time, that is excellent battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Screen on time? If you're getting 5-6 hours of screen on time, that is excellent battery life.
    Agreed I wanted to point that out as well. If all he wanted was a long battery life on a screen then the LG Flex with it's OLED screen with a Li-Po 3500mAh battery is the one he needs that is 13 plus hours.

Welcome to Android Central! As mentioned above, it's important to know what you're doing with your phone. Average screen-on time per full charge on the Nexus 5 is 3-4 hours, so if you're doing something where your phone's screen is almost always on, then 5-6 hours sounds pretty normal.

To squeeze out as much juice as you can, review this guide: [Guide] Battery Saving Tips

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

I've found the screen amazingly bright. Unless I'm outside in daylight or in a very bright room, I'm good with brightness at 15%.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App
    --------------------------------------
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

Quote Originally Posted by vividrich View Post
    I've found the screen amazingly bright. Unless I'm outside in daylight or in a very bright room, I'm good with brightness at 15%.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App
    Exactly! I have my brightness wayyyy down. And it's still bright. Unless your in direct sunlight

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Quote Originally Posted by vividrich View Post
    I have mine set to 13% indoors I can see it fine. Outside though I have to put it to 45% to be able to see it but it does not go brighter than that.
    ASUS Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Stock Android 5.0.1 on WiFi.
    LG Nexus 5 Phone (2013) - Stock Android 5.0.1 on T-Mobile LTE and WiFi.
    Cats are the best pets.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Alright let me clarify. Screen on time is 2-2.5 hours. I start using the phone in the morning and by around lunch/post-lunch, battery is at 20 or 30%. Note that it is always connected to wifi and there is no sim still. Also, it is in airplane mode.

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Wow! Very curious, indeed. However, not unheard of. Check out this link.

Battery Drains ON AIRPLANE MODE!

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

seems like there's a lot of good tips. i'll put it into good use!

Try connecting to wi-fi whenever possible, turn off ALL location services (both centrally and in individual apps), keep the screen brightness to 10-15% and disable app auto-updates in Google Play.