Is the Nexus 5 still worth it?

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 5 has been out for a while now. Do you think it is still worth it, at $349?

I've been thinking about it since I returned my HTC One M8, hence the question.

Thanks

Ivan

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Given the price I'd still say yes. But when the OnePlus One becomes available that might change my opinion.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 has been out for a while now. Do you think it is still worth it, at $349?
No. It is worth almost twice that. Google is just charging $349.

I've been thinking about it since I returned my HTC One M8, hence the question.
It has one of the best cameras, arguably the fastest UI (still), and will get updates longer than any other phone released so far.

The S5 has better storage and battery and a better display. But it also costs almost twice as much, has a worse camera, and is polluted with Touchwiz (which is why it is also slower and laggier).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Given the price I'd still say yes. But when the OnePlus One becomes available that might change my opinion.
I remain skeptical until I see actual samples of it's camera in action. We all heard the hype about the M8's camera, and look how that turned out.

We know the specs but not the specifics...sure it has a 1080p display, but is it a GOOD display? Does is have light bleed or crappy colors or crappy contrast? We can't know some of these things until it is actually out. The One Plus might turn out to be as much hype as the M8 was.

If I was going to wait for anything it'd be the G3. Too many unknowns still with the One Plus.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's still an excellent phone, especially for the price. It's hard to find an unlocked flagship phone at such a low price. True, the OnePlus One looks very good on paper, but it is by no means a known entity yet--I am reserving judgment on that phone until the reviews and the user experience are known.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is an amazing phone. Some of the advantages are that you get updates first and that you get stock Android. Some disadvantages are the camera (some like it, some don't), and the battery life.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Damn skippy! You can't compare any other device to the nexus 5. It's a league of its own! At this price and specs, no other phone even comes close.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I remain skeptical until I see actual samples of it's camera in action. We all heard the hype about the M8's camera, and look how that turned out.

We know the specs but not the specifics...sure it has a 1080p display, but is it a GOOD display? Does is have light bleed or crappy colors or crappy contrast? We can't know some of these things until it is actually out. The One Plus might turn out to be as much hype as the M8 was.

If I was going to wait for anything it'd be the G3. Too many unknowns still with the One Plus.

I completely agree and as I already have a N5 I really haven't seen anything that makes me feel like I want to trade it in, and may not until next year. Being so new from a relatively unknown company I also have my doubts about the OnePlus One and I'd wait for some reviews before buying it, IF I were considering a new phone now.

As far as the future I am pretty interested in the android silver program.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

If I had the choice of a $299 OnePlus One and $349 Nexus 5 in front of me I would buy the Nexus 5 any day just for the Android OS upgrades.

I got a kick out of Android Central Jerry Hildenbrand statement on the Podcast about the OnePlus One compared to the Nexus 5. Jerry said if it doesn't have "Ok Google" then I'm not interested in the OnePlus One. Jerry said all the OPO has is sightly better specs that no one would ever notice and it doesn't do anything innovative over the Nexus 5. Jerry also said that the OPO won't make an big impact in the US.

If I needed a new phone I would look at the new "Moto X+1" that Motorola has an event planned for May 13. No clue what the specs are yet but at least they make phones that work and we aren't even sure OnePlus will stay in business long enough to hit the market in quantity.

Documents Show OnePlus is Secretly Owned by China's Oppo Electronics. It appears that Oppo VP's departure was staged in an attempt to launch a global brand http://www.dailytech.com/Documents+...d+by+Chinas+Oppo+Electronics/article34809.htm

Last edited:

dotheDVDeed

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5 will run on 3 of the 4 major US carriers (ATT, T-Mo, & Sprint, plus their respective MVNOs). Most competing phones are just GSM only (ATT & T-Mo) giving you less chance of getting a cheap plan that will save you money in the long run.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I would buy mine again right now (got it in February). And especially for the 16gb variant, the lack of carrier and manufacturer bloat is a big draw.

With the latest camera app I think the camera is way improved.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
"Better" display would be arguable. Different, certainly.
Nope. Not really.

Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, which we present in detail below, the Galaxy S5 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested

Samsung Galaxy S5 Display Technology Shoot-Out
That is a pretty strong statement from them. They are known for testing exhaustively and in tight detail. So far I have not seen a better source than this site for this kind of stuff.

And all the reviews I have seen are consistent with this...they all seem to agree. I've seen the display myself and I have to agree...it is the best one I have seen so far.

That being said, I'd still rather have the nexus for a variety of other reasons. But the S5 definitely spanks every other phone released so far when it comes to the display.

Michael Arguelles

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently in the market to buy a new phone, however I don't need one. I don't believe the Nexus 5 is worth it. That isn't to say that it's not a great phone, but just look right around the corner and you're going to get a LG G3 around June that will surely beat the Nexus 5. Personally, I'm going to wait for the Nexus 6 to be announced and I have a hunch that it's going to come out a month earlier than normal and we'll see it by the end of September.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently in the market to buy a new phone, however I don't need one. I don't believe the Nexus 5 is worth it. That isn't to say that it's not a great phone, but just look right around the corner and you're going to get a LG G3 around June that will surely beat the Nexus 5. Personally, I'm going to wait for the Nexus 6 to be announced and I have a hunch that it's going to come out a month earlier than normal and we'll see it by the end of September.

Of course the G3 will be better spec'd than the N5. That doesn't mean it will outperform it on a day-to-day basis however. Plus factor on cost. The G3 will be $600. The N5 will continue to be $350.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently in the market to buy a new phone, however I don't need one. I don't believe the Nexus 5 is worth it. That isn't to say that it's not a great phone, but just look right around the corner and you're going to get a LG G3 around June that will surely beat the Nexus 5.
Not so sure anymore. I thought the same would be true of the S5 and the M8. So I will need more convincing.

One thing I know for sure I don't like is that button setup. And LG's skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude