Is the Nexus 5 still worth it?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The OnePlusOne doesn't have Qi charging and none of it's other features are significantly better than the N5. If there is a GooglePlay version of the G3 then that might be interesting because the rumors are that the G3 will have a 2K screen however for now the N5 is still the best phone on the market.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Of course the G3 will be better spec'd than the N5. That doesn't mean it will outperform it on a day-to-day basis however. Plus factor on cost. The G3 will be $600. The N5 will continue to be $350.

Posted via Android Central App

You speak with much wisdom. Just because something has "better" specs, doesn't mean you're going to notice it in real world applications. Heck, my old Moto G had a quad core 1.2ghz cpu, and you would think the Nexus 5 would be twice as fast, but it could actually perform almost as fast. If you don't believe me, look up Moto G vs. Nexus 5 on youtube. I think sometimes people get too caught up in specs to see the big picture. The Nexus 5 is blazing fast, and will do everything you need. That's not enough?

There will always be something "better" every couple of months. Are you going to spend $600 every 2-3 months just for bragging rights?

When 64bit android comes around and 3ghz/3-4gb ram phones are out, then talk to me. Until then, quit wasting your money on stuff that isn't going to improve your life. Except for fanboys in forums, no one really cares what kind of phone you use, and probably never heard of it anyway.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking about it since I returned my HTC One M8, hence the question.

It depends on what you value in a phone. Why did you return the M8? What features are important to you?

For example, some people don't like the M8 because it's too big and slippery. The Moto X would be a nice alternative because it fits the hand well and its speaker, while not equivalent to those on the M8, is very loud.

The Nexus 5 would be a good choice if you want a 1080p screen and stock Android.

If you still can't decide, just wait a few months. Something better is bound to show up. :)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently in the market to buy a new phone, however I don't need one. I don't believe the Nexus 5 is worth it. That isn't to say that it's not a great phone, but just look right around the corner and you're going to get a LG G3 around June that will surely beat the Nexus 5. Personally, I'm going to wait for the Nexus 6 to be announced and I have a hunch that it's going to come out a month earlier than normal and we'll see it by the end of September.

In defining "worth," how much of a factor is monetary cost? If it isn't, or is minor, you don't have to look just right around the corner for a phone that might beat the Nexus 5... There are phones out there that are currently available that most people would consider to be, on an overall basis, better than the N5 - on the basis of specs/feature/performance. But if, as for most consumers, cost plays a considerable factor, there are few phones available that can beat the value that the N5 offers (the N5 still being classifiable as a 'flagship' phone even with cost factors set aside).

The next phone I expect to represent a substantial upgrade in benefit received for $ spent will be the next generation Nexus (assuming it follows the historical pricing strategy).

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what you value in a phone. Why did you return the M8? What features are important to you?

For example, some people don't like the M8 because it's too big and slippery. The Moto X would be a nice alternative because it fits the hand well and its speaker, while not equivalent to those on the M8, is very loud.

The Nexus 5 would be a good choice if you want a 1080p screen and stock Android.

If you still can't decide, just wait a few months. Something better is bound to show up. :)

The Moto X+1 will be announced on May 13th. Motorola Moto X+1: All the facts - Recombu

That said I am waiting on the Nexus 6 before I replace my Nexus 5 as my daily phone.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

...and much better camera
...and faster CPU

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
For the price and idea of not being locked into a two year contract on a phone the Nexus 5 is the best phone out there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app