Camera focus not working + "buzzing" sound

LightM

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Everything was great with my camera but recently I started to experience major issues:
When I try to take a picture of close objects or documents, the camera doesn't focus, the camera is trying to focus again and again while making a low "buzzing" sound and gentle vibration.
When I try to take a picture of the room or a view, it usually able to focus.
I have tried other camera apps as well, same issue. Does anyone experience this?
I don't know if it's hardware related or something else.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you tapping the area that you want to focus on first? How's the lighting? If the lighting isn't very good, the camera may have trouble focusing on a close object.

Also, make sure camera lens is as clean as possible.

Vlosaloty

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I have too had this problem with the camera lens not focusing on up close objects

Posted via Android Central App

Vlosaloty

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Never really paid attention to the buzzing noises so I'm not sure if I have that problem

Posted via Android Central App

Rob Kleine Deters

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Do you ride a motorcycle? Use it with it while mounted to it? I have the same issue and I have seen that many people with this issue have mounted them on their motorcycle and now the camera is messed up. I've had mine for 5 days and it's already messed up.\

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Is this something that has worked before but suddenly stopped working? How close are you getting when you're trying to take your close up shots? Lenses usually have a minimum focusing distance...

Dsireme

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
You are not alone. My Galaxy Note has been doing this forever. It usually starts after I take a picture. What I have to do it hit the screen and it shuts off. Not sure if that helps you at all. Thankfully it hasn't happened to my Note 10.1.... yet.

I have been searching on the Internet about this and some people even say using the flashlight will do it. I don't know if it is charging up the light/flash but I never have my flash on.

If I find anymore about it, I will let you know. I am glad I am not the only one with this problem.

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I am having that exactly same problem and it was working perfectly before this started a couple of weeks ago - I just looked and I had taken over 1600 pictures without a problem before this started, so I know how to work the camera. I have searched the internet to find a solution - I have deleted and reinstalled the camera program twice. I have deleted the flashlight app and still the phone continues to buzz and refuse to focus. My husband has the exact same phone and he does not have a problem. The only difference is my phone has already updated to 4.4.4 and his is 4.4.3 so I wonder if the update killed the camera.

AndrewGilbert1

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I am also having the same problem, was fine for 7 months then all of a sudden stopped focusing... And makes a buzzing sound when attempting. I will be calling LG up to see what they say soon and will post back on if they are willing to help me! Its within the warranty period.

axbaquero

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello to all!

Bad news for everyone.. I have an HTC One Max and I opened my phone for searching that terrible sound, and I found the problem.. It's A hardware problem with the camera, it´s a piece that need free move to make the zoom. I put on it a transparent film over the camera and stop the sound. But the zoom doesn´t work anymore. I buy a reemplace camera for my phone, but i think it happen again because it´s a hardware problem and I don't know how many broken cameras are produced.

That's my experience. :(

amd121

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Do you ride a motorcycle? Use it with it while mounted to it? I have the same issue and I have seen that many people with this issue have mounted them on their motorcycle and now the camera is messed up. I've had mine for 5 days and it's already messed up.\

this is a common problem with htc m7 & m8 they use a focus motor and get damage from motorcycle vibration or high shocks. i had the same problem on my m7 and m8, i took the phone to the supplier and i got new one instead.
now am using different phone when riding

Terry Griffis II

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a HTC one Max (T6) and it is also doing the buzzing sound and not focusing. I don't ride a motorcycle and I haven't dropped my phone.. It just started happening about a week ago... Guess I am just screwed when it comes to taking pictures...

Ray Myburgh

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem after my first long ride of the summer (350 miles) with the M8 mounted as SatNav. The bike being a Ducati Multistrada 1200 V-twin there is plenty of vibration. I've been riding 1000cc V-twins for years together with using HTC phones as SatNav (One XL, Desire Z, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro) without ever experiencing this problem.
This new motor driven focus design might prove to be a persistent problem for motorcyclists.
I did however take the phone skiing in Feb and it survived a week of freezing temperatures and multiple high speed crashes just fine.......

Paul Levine1

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Solved!!! Solved!!!!!
Ok i had the same problem and tried every software solution i could think of, then i realized that it is a hardware problem so before i bought a new camera i did this. Dont ask me what made me think of it but this is just how my brain works. While the camera app was open and it was buzzing all around ,i took a tiny ,tiny neodymium magnet and put it near the main camera opening on the rear and all of a sudden the buzzing and shaking stopped. So i put a little drop of ca glue to hold it in place and now its fixed, well sort of, at least temporarily till i can buy a new camera assembly. I was trying to think of why this fixed the issue but im kind of burnt out right now, any help is always appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Something is broken or loose, and the magnet is holding it in just the right place. Quick, buy lottery tickets - you're very lucky.

LadyAviator

May 20, 2015
Visit site
After reading this post, I found a strong fridge magnet and held it near my camera. The buzzing stopped immediately! How tiny of a magnet did you use and where did you get it?? Thanks!! :)

After reading Paul Levine1's post...

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC