Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 phone dropped in water, please help me out with this

Ok so I got my nexus 5 on November 2013. It fell in water and it no longer shows the screen properly but it charges and loads up on pc fine. Can I get a replacement at no cost? The warranty says it doesn't cover psychical damage. If I have to pay for phone again, I'm gonna get Sony Waterproof phone, no point in wasting money on something inferior. This is a picture of the background, it's meant to be one colour

My friend put his iphone in the fridge and got replacements.

Default Re: Nexus 5 phone dropped in water, please help me out with this

Maybe your phone just glitched out if nothing else is wrong except the background

From mah shiny new Nexus 5

What if your phone wont respond anything else than you probably need to get replacement

From mah shiny new Nexus 5

The original warranty will not cover water damage.

If the only thing wrong is the color of the screen background though, you may have dodged a bullet. Are the other functions working, or are you saying that the screen doesn't show at all?

Either way, if you need a replacement, you will probably have to spend something.

nb
    Dumbphones>Treo 650>Apache>Mogul>Raphael>Palm Pre>Samsung Epic 4g>Evo 4g>Epic 4g Touch>GSM Galaxy Nexus>Galaxy S3 + Nexus 4

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

You cannot get a replacement at no cost unless your credit card has accidental damage coverage.

That said, have you tried putting the phone in rice for 24-48 hours? That often helps with water damage.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It won't get a replacement if it's because of water damage.

Global Posts
    2,941 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by KLIMAXX View Post
    Ok so I got my nexus 5 on November 2013. It fell in water and it no longer shows the screen properly but it charges and loads up on pc fine. Can I get a replacement at no cost?
    No.

Warranty's only cover manufacturer defects. Any problems with your phone would be due to what you did to it (submerging it in water) not a defect of the phone itself. And yes, they will easily tell if it is water damaged. Even most insurance will not cover water damaged phones. But even if they did, there would still be a deductible involved ($75 to $150).

Quote Originally Posted by KLIMAXX View Post
    The warranty says it doesn't cover psychical damage. If I have to pay for phone again, I'm gonna get Sony Waterproof phone, no point in wasting money on something inferior.
    If you are prone to dropping phones in water, this is a good idea. Personally I've never done that (I destroyed my first Nexus 5 by submerging it, but that was on purpose...long story). The Galaxy S5 is water resistant too.