Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    I am at the office now, and my Nexus 5 is dead!
    I can't turn it on, I also tried to recharge it, but it doesn't work!
    What can I do? Can Google replace it?
    Let me know, I back to the stone age!!!!
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,448 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,939 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidDario View Post
    I am at the office now, and my Nexus 5 is dead!
    I can't turn it on, I also tried to recharge it, but it doesn't work!
    What can I do? Can Google replace it?
    Let me know, I back to the stone age!!!!
    Was it very low on a charge?
  3. #3  

    Default Re: My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidDario View Post
    I am at the office now, and my Nexus 5 is dead!
    I can't turn it on, I also tried to recharge it, but it doesn't work!
    What can I do? Can Google replace it?
    Let me know, I back to the stone age!!!!
    Try holding the power button for about 30 seconds. I've had it appear dead, where it wouldn't boot up after just a few seconds, but 'stubborn persistance' had it boot up.

    As a worst case scenario, provided you bought it from Google or an authorized seller, it should be covered under the warranty (so long as it isn't deemed damaged from external factors (moisture, dropping, etc).
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Was it very low on a charge?
    I had almost the full battery.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    That's weird... I hope this won't happen to me.
  6. #6  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,448 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,939 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidDario View Post
    I had almost the full battery.
    I will admit, I am not sure what to suggest. It may be a hardware failure.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    Try holding the power button for about 30 seconds. I've had it appear dead, where it wouldn't boot up after just a few seconds, but 'stubborn persistance' had it boot up.

    As a worst case scenario, provided you bought it from Google or an authorized seller, it should be covered under the warranty (so long as it isn't deemed damaged from external factors (moisture, dropping, etc).
    I did as you suggest me and the phone boot up.
    By the way, what the hell happened?!
    The phone is not rooted and it runs perfectly and smoothly.
  8. #8  
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,924 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidDario View Post
    I did as you suggest me and the phone boot up.
    By the way, what the hell happened?!
    The phone is not rooted and it runs perfectly and smoothly.
    What you describe sounds like a power supply issue. That is something that is probably not hugely expensive to fix. But I'd think that is covered under the warranty.
  9. #9  
    Ed Briggs's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,009 Posts

    Default Re: My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    It's been said in the past that it's a good idea to pull the battery out once in a while to reset things. But since that's not easily done on the N5, there is a "pull battery emulation" that can be done instead. While the phone is on, hold the power button down, plus both volume buttons until it reboots.
  10. #10  
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,924 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Briggs View Post
    It's been said in the past that it's a good idea to pull the battery out once in a while to reset things. But since that's not easily done on the N5, there is a "pull battery emulation" that can be done instead. While the phone is on, hold the power button down, plus both volume buttons until it reboots.
    Both buttons is key.

    People think it is a rocker button because it looks like one...it's not. The up and down volume are separate buttons, and you can press them both at once.

    I turn it off, hold down both buttons, and then power on while I am holding them down. That has been the foolproof way for me to boot to recovery.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidDario View Post
    I did as you suggest me and the phone boot up.
    By the way, what the hell happened?!
    The phone is not rooted and it runs perfectly and smoothly.
    I can't say what caused it, but just know that I've had my phone mysteriously power down despite having a charge a couple of times since I've had it and been unresponsive, and I found that that worked.

    Glad yours is ok!
  12. #12  

    Default Re: My Nexus 5 Is Dead!

    I'm going to go out on a limb and ask what may seem like a dumb question:

    You are aware that if your phone is in full "power off" mode then you must press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds in order to initiate a boot cycle, correct?

    Just checking...

Similar Threads

  1. How can i connect my Tab 3 7 inch to my TV
    By shaydes in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 7-inch
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2015, 11:04 AM
  2. Map app is no longer in the market
    By GewiiMobile in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 06:53 PM
  3. Google Nexus 7 - 2 gmail emails downloading but only want 1
    By Psyduck in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 03:01 PM
  4. Would it help if I reset my phone???
    By kilofoxtrot in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 10:38 AM
  5. The os of my lg nexus 4 is deleted...
    By syedfahad in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 08:48 AM

Posting Permissions