Charging at USB speed instead of AC speed in car

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an MPow dual USB car charger capable of providing 2.1 amps over both USB ports. It is also able to detect if you are using an iPhone or Android and adjust accordingly. It worked great with my G2. It could fast charge my wife's G2 and my G2 at the same time. However, on my Nexus 5 I just got, it is only charging at USB speed. Any way to fix this?

Posted via Android Central App

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I have an MPow dual USB car charger capable of providing 2.1 amps over both USB ports. It is also able to detect if you are using an iPhone or Android and adjust accordingly. It worked great with my G2. It could fast charge my wife's G2 and my G2 at the same time. However, on my Nexus 5 I just got, it is only charging at USB speed. Any way to fix this?

You need to use a "charge only"cable to get AC charge mode with automotive plug in adapter. See link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3652250

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Is this a Nexus quirk? I've been trying to use the same cable that had been working just fine with my G2

It is a USB thing. When sharing data like when you connect the cable to a computer it limits amps to 0.5A so it won't interfere with your signal. If you short the two data wires the telephone senses that and can increase the amps to about 1.5 to 2A whatever the phone can take or the charger will give out. Some wall chargers have the data pins shorted in the AC adapter itself, usually ones that aren't USB and have a fixed wire. You can check out the link for more explanation:

anuragbhatia.com !!! » Blog Archive » Creating a cable for fast USB charging

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is a USB thing. When sharing data like when you connect the cable to a computer it limits amps to 0.5A so it won't interfere with your signal. If you short the two data wires the telephone senses that and can increase the amps to about 1.5 to 2A whatever the phone can take or the charger will give out. Some wall chargers have the data pins shorted in the AC adapter itself, usually ones that aren't USB and have a fixed wire. You can check out the link for more explanation:

anuragbhatia.com !!! » Blog Archive » Creating a cable for fast USB charging

Well, I was using this exact cable and charger combo with my G2 and Note 3 with no issues, so I know the cable and charger can charge at AC speeds.

korguror

May 29, 2011
Visit site
It's a Nexus 5 quirk. While I know what he is talking about with a charge only cable in this instance it is a Nexus 5 thing. I've used the same cables on my nexus 4, 7, gal nexus, ect and all worked fine.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a Nexus 5 quirk. While I know what he is talking about with a charge only cable in this instance it is a Nexus 5 thing. I've used the same cables on my nexus 4, 7, gal nexus, ect and all worked fine.

Okay, I thought so. Will using the charge only cable solve the issue?

korguror

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I thought so. Will using the charge only cable solve the issue?

In my case it didn't. The single car chargers with built in micro usb works fine for me. Like I said the Franco kernel fix made every normal cable work in ac mode again. But I understand but everyone wants to do kernels.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In my case it didn't. The single car chargers with built in micro usb works fine for me. Like I said the Franco kernel fix made every normal cable work in ac mode again. But I understand but everyone wants to do kernels.

I'll stick with my current work around. I have an external battery that will charge off the car charger no problem and will charge my Nexus just fine. So I plug the battery into the car charger and the phone into battery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge