Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Charging at USB speed instead of AC speed in car

    I have an MPow dual USB car charger capable of providing 2.1 amps over both USB ports. It is also able to detect if you are using an iPhone or Android and adjust accordingly. It worked great with my G2. It could fast charge my wife's G2 and my G2 at the same time. However, on my Nexus 5 I just got, it is only charging at USB speed. Any way to fix this?

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Charging at USB speed instead of AC speed in car

    Newest Franco kernel fixed this. I had the same issue with several including dual car charger.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Charging at USB speed instead of AC speed in car

    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I have an MPow dual USB car charger capable of providing 2.1 amps over both USB ports. It is also able to detect if you are using an iPhone or Android and adjust accordingly. It worked great with my G2. It could fast charge my wife's G2 and my G2 at the same time. However, on my Nexus 5 I just got, it is only charging at USB speed. Any way to fix this?

    Posted via Android Central App
    You need to use a "charge only"cable to get AC charge mode with automotive plug in adapter. See link:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088H...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Charging at USB speed instead of AC speed in car

    Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    You need to use a "charge only"cable to get AC charge mode with automotive plug in adapter. See link:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088H...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

    Posted via Android Central App
    Is this a Nexus quirk? I've been trying to use the same cable that had been working just fine with my G2

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Charging at USB speed instead of AC speed in car

    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Is this a Nexus quirk? I've been trying to use the same cable that had been working just fine with my G2

    Posted via Android Central App
    It is a USB thing. When sharing data like when you connect the cable to a computer it limits amps to 0.5A so it won't interfere with your signal. If you short the two data wires the telephone senses that and can increase the amps to about 1.5 to 2A whatever the phone can take or the charger will give out. Some wall chargers have the data pins shorted in the AC adapter itself, usually ones that aren't USB and have a fixed wire. You can check out the link for more explanation:

    anuragbhatia.com !!! » Blog Archive » Creating a cable for fast USB charging
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Charging at USB speed instead of AC speed in car

    Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    It is a USB thing. When sharing data like when you connect the cable to a computer it limits amps to 0.5A so it won't interfere with your signal. If you short the two data wires the telephone senses that and can increase the amps to about 1.5 to 2A whatever the phone can take or the charger will give out. Some wall chargers have the data pins shorted in the AC adapter itself, usually ones that aren't USB and have a fixed wire. You can check out the link for more explanation:

    anuragbhatia.com !!! » Blog Archive » Creating a cable for fast USB charging
    Well, I was using this exact cable and charger combo with my G2 and Note 3 with no issues, so I know the cable and charger can charge at AC speeds.

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Charging at USB speed instead of AC speed in car

    It's a Nexus 5 quirk. While I know what he is talking about with a charge only cable in this instance it is a Nexus 5 thing. I've used the same cables on my nexus 4, 7, gal nexus, ect and all worked fine.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Charging at USB speed instead of AC speed in car

    Quote Originally Posted by korguror View Post
    It's a Nexus 5 quirk. While I know what he is talking about with a charge only cable in this instance it is a Nexus 5 thing. I've used the same cables on my nexus 4, 7, gal nexus, ect and all worked fine.
    Okay, I thought so. Will using the charge only cable solve the issue?

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Charging at USB speed instead of AC speed in car

    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Okay, I thought so. Will using the charge only cable solve the issue?

    Posted via Android Central App
    In my case it didn't. The single car chargers with built in micro usb works fine for me. Like I said the Franco kernel fix made every normal cable work in ac mode again. But I understand but everyone wants to do kernels.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Charging at USB speed instead of AC speed in car

    Quote Originally Posted by korguror View Post
    In my case it didn't. The single car chargers with built in micro usb works fine for me. Like I said the Franco kernel fix made every normal cable work in ac mode again. But I understand but everyone wants to do kernels.
    I'll stick with my current work around. I have an external battery that will charge off the car charger no problem and will charge my Nexus just fine. So I plug the battery into the car charger and the phone into battery

    Posted via Android Central App

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 01:46 AM
  2. Dire Need of Help (Potential Bricked Phone)
    By Player1x in forum HTC One Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 04:09 PM
  3. Stuck in Load Screen Hell
    By kerbalcaptain in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 02:00 PM
  4. Looking for good micro usb chargers..
    By doubledeckersoulwrecker in forum Samsung Galaxy S5 Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 12:32 PM
  5. Missing apps in user created folders
    By USMCvet in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions