Ads randomly pop up on my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Server5

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
There are several apps out there that are rogue or have Trojan 'hijack' ads built in. The hard part is finding the offender. Generally, if it's recent, then I'd go with the last 5 newest app to nuke.

Goodluck

Drakeo7

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure what app is causing. I expect it when I'm backing out of Facebook or something but this but sometimes when I'm backing out of Gmail and right now just happened when I was making a phone call. Any way to find out which app is causing this?

Hey I came here looking for a solution to the same problem. I know the answer but you aren't going to like it. The problem is being caused by Google ads, that being said, you can NOT stop these ads (or at least I don't think so). No app or website is causing these ads it is just what Google decided it was going to do to keep some apps free and it helps allow other features to work on your phone. If you don't believe me go to your settings--> Accounts-->google and under services you will see ads. You can opt out of Google ads, but that only makes the ads that pop up less relevant. I'm sorry if you did a factory reset (like I did) thinking it was going to stop the problem. Hopefully you guys are still reading this line of comments so you can find out too. But if you can find a way to stop google ads from popping up please let me know because it is bugging the s#!t out of me too.

shaztri

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Where is the ad showing up? Is it in the notification bar? if so, long press on it, and find out which app it is from, and then, either remove that app, or disable notifications from it.
I was not seeing any ads before the marshmallow update. Didn't even install a new app. Long pressed on the notifications and saw that the app was coming from a app which I thought never showed any ads Ever. How did the permissions change in marshmallow.

Dayton Elliott

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure what app is causing. I expect it when I'm backing out of Facebook or something but this but sometimes when I'm backing out of Gmail and right now just happened when I was making a phone call. Any way to find out which app is causing this?

Anti-adware found 12 issues on my phone.. it allowed me uninstall the infected apps directly.. then I just reinstalled a clean versions of the apps I wanted back

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.keerby.adaware&token=wYCSTFZi

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I was not seeing any ads before the marshmallow update. Didn't even install a new app. Long pressed on the notifications and saw that the app was coming from a app which I thought never showed any ads Ever. How did the permissions change in marshmallow.

Ads don't have a specific permission - pretty much any app can show you an ad as a notification. Apparently, this app decided to start showing ads (was it ES explorer by any chance?). Look for an alternative app that doesn't show ads. If your app is currently free, see if they offer a paid version that will remove ads.

Raju Narale

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
Your phone may be probabaly rooted without your knowledge.Try to reflash your phone using system image specific to your phones model.Or you may unroot your phone and factory reset through custom ROM.

Hellooooooooooo

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Do it as he says or remove all apps you've installed when you start receiving ads.
A good prevention is to read feedbacks from comment section in Google play and try not to install anything other than outside of Google play.

Posted via Android Central App

When you get the add pop up you should press the apps overview ( the square on the bottom right ) and look which app is running the adds, then delete that app

Matus244

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I have the same problem. In my case it is causing by system application Launcher3 - it has been detected by Eset antivirus, but I really do not know how to get rid of it... Any suggestion? Thans a lot.

I have already done factory reset and upgraded the ROM for last version found on Needrom, but the problem is still here. Phone - Kingzone K2, android 5.1.

Chau Nguyen4

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Why take all these pain? Throw this stupid junk piece - Android into trash !

And then buy a stupid IPhone and get cost everything frm app to accessories. For ex: no phone jack on Iphone 7 and you must to buy a fancy Bluetooth Headset.

i just got the note 7 and almost from day 1 I get the same pop up apps anyone know how to stop it
I have the same problem in so many phone before and I use this trick from my friend who work at Samsung store and it work. Now I have the Note 7 and add pops up I use the same trick and happy with it. Try going into google chrome, which i assume you use, (if not try to do something similar) and click the three vertical dots to open the menu, click settings and scroll down to site settings. There should be something that says notifications, make sure that that is on 'Blocked' all together, then go down to pop-ups. Here is where i found that although pop-ups were blocked, a website i had visited or something i had clicked, had set itself to be an exception to the blockage of pop-ups. So even though it was blocked, they still appeared on my apps and homescreen. i deleted the exception for pop-up ads and left the setting on 'blocked'. Hopefully this is the resolution to your problem.

Hope it went well to evryone

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Why take all these pain? Throw this stupid junk piece - Android into trash !

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. I noticed from one of your other posts that you've installed apps like TubeMate from apk sites, which greatly increases your risk of getting adware or malware--perhaps this is why you've had issues with this kind of nuisance. Stick with reliable app sources like Google Play Store or Amazon Underground, and your risk of unwanted adware or malware will be much lower. And if you can't find a particular app on the Play Store, it's either incompatible with your device, or violates some Google policy or terms of service (which is the case for TubeMate).

Tstreano

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Thank youk, Chau Nguyen4. You gave good advice! I checked my Settings --> Site Settings --> POP-UPS and even though it said "BLOCKED", I opened it and found an unfamiliar site in the exceptions. I deleted it. Thanks again!

PH01

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I find the problem in adds popping up in my asus phone, it is actually the ads personalization in your google accnt settings (the accnt you are using in your phone) that is turned on . You can turn off the ads personalization in add setting in chrome(my accnt), or you can click the (PRIVACY CHECK UP SETTING 6.Make ads more relevant to you)"manage your add setting" and it will directly link you to the add setting and you can see that ads personalization there and you can turn it off, sorry for bad english hope it helps

Last edited:

Steve DS

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
there is no set pattern to the way they pop up and I've only just started getting them and I'm on brand new beta 7.1.1 software. I've noticed it on a lot of people's phones they turned it on and it right there in the beginning is an ad as soon as I sign on or power up. Now they're happening to me and it is completely random you can be in the middle of dialing a phone call and an ad will pop up and because you're dialing you hit the AD and now you're going to scroll yourself back out of it. It's outrageous! and they're not just little pop-up ads on the side or bottom they are full page ads taking up the entire screen

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! As discussed before, these popup ads are due to adware that is being installed onto your phone, usually along with some other app you installed. Although the Google Play Store is generally better than all other sources when it comes to reliable apps, there are still going to be some bad actors that come with annoying adware. Uninstall apps one by one until the behavior goes away. In the future, look at a bunch of reviews on the Play Store page first, to see if anyone complains of popups.

marked471

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem for about a month now. Only thing is I have not installed any new apps in a long time. I can look at my history in chrome for my phone and it will show where I have visited three different apps (all games) usually within one minute on the average of twice a day. Funny, I don't play games on my phone or computer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What history in Chrome are you referring to? Your browsing history? Are you saying that it shows you've visited three different sites for games that you didn't actually link to voluntarily?

Status
Not open for further replies.