Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jerrod6
  • 2 Post By crxssi
  • 1 Post By Ed Briggs
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Lag Issues

Recently I am starting to notice some lag and dropped frames ever so often every time I'm exiting out of the app drawer. I've tried factory resetting a few times as well as deleting a bunch of apps, nothing worked. My friend also has the exact same phone with the exact same settings and his just feels a bit quicker and snappier. This is also my first expensive high end phone i bought so for me its a pretty annoying problem. Hopefully someone can relate and help me out that would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Nexus 5: Lag Issues

Go into your battery settings and app manager to see if any running programs are using excessive resources of the phone.

Global Posts
    21,664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Papuc View Post
    Recently I am starting to notice some lag and dropped frames ever so often every time I'm exiting out of the app drawer. I've tried factory resetting a few times as well as deleting a bunch of apps, nothing worked. My friend also has the exact same phone with the exact same settings and his just feels a bit quicker and snappier. This is also my first expensive high end phone i bought so for me its a pretty annoying problem. Hopefully someone can relate and help me out that would be very much appreciated, thanks!

How long have you had the device?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I have had my Nexus 5 since November 6 just after it was released and so far no lag whatsoever, and I have never done a factory reset on the phone at all, so like others have said check your running apps and also any new apps and their widgets you have installed. Nice to think that all apps from any developer run well but some of them just don't, so give a check, and I hope things improve for you.
    crxssi likes this.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,577 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerrod6 View Post
    I have had my Nexus 5 since November 6 just after it was released and so far no lag whatsoever, and I have never done a factory reset on the phone at all, so like others have said check your running apps and also any new apps and their widgets you have installed. Nice to think that all apps from any developer run well but some of them just don't, so give a check, and I hope things improve for you.
    That is often a culprit. Someone will say thye reset to factory but still have the problem... what they neglect to say is that moments after a factory reset, they end up reinstalling the same set up apps. I tell people with extreme problems if they choose to do a factory reset (which would not be my first suggestion) to add back apps very slowly and conservatively over many days (or even weeks, depending)... adding back first those things that are generally well known, popular, stable, non-complex, and without services and constant data tie-ins. Troubleshooting is a methodology that can't be rushed, unfortunately.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    B. Diddy and Ed Briggs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    That is often a culprit. Someone will say thye reset to factory but still have the problem... what they neglect to say is that moments after a factory reset, they end up reinstalling the same set up apps. I tell people with extreme problems if they choose to do a factory reset (which would not be my first suggestion) to add back apps very slowly and conservatively over many days (or even weeks, depending)... adding back first those things that are generally well known, popular, stable, non-complex, and without services and constant data tie-ins. Troubleshooting is a methodology that can't be rushed, unfortunately.
    The Penguin knoweth what he speaketh.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Also consider wiping the system cache partition, which can sometimes help with various performance issues: [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery
    crxssi and Golfdriver97 like this.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

The tweaks are available within the settings of all recent Android phones in a section called Developer options.

This section might be hidden on some phones, but its very easy to access. On many phones, you just have to open a certain page in the settings and tap a button seven times. Use Google to figure out how to enable Developer options on your phone if its currently hidden (for example, search enable developer options HTC One).

Once you have access to Developer options, simply scroll until you find the following three settings, which may be located on the main screen or within an Advanced subsection:

Window animation scale

Transition animation scale

Animator animation scale

Tapping each of the three aforementioned settings will reveal that its set to 1x by default. If you want to speed up your phone or tablet dramatically, simply change each of those three settings to .5x thats it. p.s restart your device.

Funny thing with those animation scales is that they can act like a bit of a buffer... .smoothing things out a bit. If you crank them down, or disable them all together, you end up with something that is very fast, but it would be akin to a sports car with an extremely tight suspension.... it might be quick, but it jerks you around left and right.

But that is, of course, not lag.... it just adds a bit of an analog feel to a digital process.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I've had it for a few months since early to mid December

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by twin100 View Post
    The tweaks are available within the settings of all recent Android phones in a section called Developer options.

This section might be hidden on some phones, but its very easy to access. On many phones, you just have to open a certain page in the settings and tap a button seven times. Use Google to figure out how to enable Developer options on your phone if its currently hidden (for example, search enable developer options HTC One).

Once you have access to Developer options, simply scroll until you find the following three settings, which may be located on the main screen or within an Advanced subsection:

Window animation scale

Transition animation scale

Animator animation scale

Tapping each of the three aforementioned settings will reveal that its set to 1x by default. If you want to speed up your phone or tablet dramatically, simply change each of those three settings to .5x thats it. p.s restart your device.
    I've been tweaking with all those settings but for me it just seems to start lagging and stuttering even more now