USB Charger/Heating Problem

coldtone

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

I know alot of you are pros at this so I'll ask my question.

Is it normal for the Nexus 5 to get hot while charging via a USB car charger? I recently purchased a belkin Car MicroCharger, and the phone gets hot while charging. Could this damage the phone?

Thanks for the coming advice.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Is it normal for the Nexus 5 to get hot while charging via a USB car charger? I recently purchased a belkin Car MicroCharger, and the phone gets hot while charging. Could this damage the phone?

Well, "hot" is relative. That said...

All batteries warm up when being charged. And the faster they are charged means more current and higher temperatures. The phone will charge at various rates, depending on what it will allow and what current is available. It is "normal" for the phone to be up to quite warm when charging. In my experience, quality car chargers (DC) seem to supply more current than most home AC chargers... not sure why, though.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
One question i have is are you using your phone while charging in the car?
Keep in mind that charging and using it will always cause it to heat up faster.
And as crxssi mentioned, hot is a relative term. Try to get the actual battery temp. There are plenty of diagnostic apps and battery apps that will show that info.
Anything over say 105 degrees is starting to get into the range of not good.
They are ok operating between 50 and 100 degrees, Fahrenheit.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I know alot of you are pros at this so I'll ask my question.

Thanks for the coming advice.

Def don't do what I did. I used my old galaxy nexus as a GPS, and I was charging it in the car. The internal batt temp got to 145? F it would not hold a charge for more than an hour. After a couple of days it leveled out. But the damage was done.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay