Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Nexus 5:

    I have been with TMo for about 7 years. Maybe it's the N5, but I have noticed more and more dead spots in my travels lately. I have been contemplating a switch to Verizon because of this. So many places (off the beaten path, but still on a highway) that I haven't been able to even make a call, let alone data.

    I assume TMo is addressing their network coverage and strength, or this N5 just has a weaker antenna than the S3 I moved from.

    Curious if anyone has moved from Tmo to Verizon, and how the experience went? Any good plans that aren't listed on the Verizon website? It seems all I could find were $75 for unlimited calls n text +2gb data. Not too amazing to me.


    Thank you
  2. #2  
    srmoreno's Avatar

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    You should try say a galaxy s4. At my house on my nexus 5 I get 1 bar of signal and on my s4 in the same spot I get 4 bars. It's pretty much like that everywhere I go. I think nexus line is awesome but they are notorious for poor signal compared to other phones


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Incitatus likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    If you are talking about moving your Nexus 5 from T-Mobile to Verizon, well, you can't. See http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...k-verizon.html

    Maybe consider Cricket Wireless (formerly AIO Wireless; an AT&T network). $40/month for unlimited talk/text plus 500MB high-speed data; $50/month for same with 2.5GB high-speed data. Get $5/month off of those prices if you sign up for auto-pay. See https://www.cricketwireless.com/shop/plans.html
  4. #4  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    13,127 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,131 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Phone designs and antenna placement can definitely have an impact with signal quality from one device to the next. Take a look at the coverage maps and see if you are supposed to be receiving signal, whether weak or strong, in the areas in which you are not and perhaps put a call into T-Mobile to see what's going on.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Incitatus View Post
    Nexus 5:

    I have been with TMo for about 7 years. Maybe it's the N5, but I have noticed more and more dead spots in my travels lately. I have been contemplating a switch to Verizon because of this. So many places (off the beaten path, but still on a highway) that I haven't been able to even make a call, let alone data.

    I assume TMo is addressing their network coverage and strength, or this N5 just has a weaker antenna than the S3 I moved from.

    Curious if anyone has moved from Tmo to Verizon, and how the experience went? Any good plans that aren't listed on the Verizon website? It seems all I could find were $75 for unlimited calls n text +2gb data. Not too amazing to me.


    Thank you
    it is both. T-Mobile doesn't have the means to expand its coverage(need serious $$$). And you can't use Nexus 5 on Verizon. Ever consider AT&T?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    it is both. T-Mobile doesn't have the means to expand its coverage(need serious $$$). And you can't use Nexus 5 on Verizon. Ever consider AT&T?
    They are working on it. They said they are going to convert their edge to LTE (50% of it) by the end of this year. We will see if they can keep that promise .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    They are working on it. They said they are going to convert their edge to LTE (50% of it) by the end of this year. We will see if they can keep that promise .
    Well, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.... they've established a track record recently of following through. And with their purchase of VZW's unused 700Mhz band, they're actively working on it.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    it is both. T-Mobile doesn't have the means to expand its coverage(need serious $$$). And you can't use Nexus 5 on Verizon. Ever consider AT&T?
    You are so wrong on this one about T-Mobile. TM is in the process of shutting down all of Metro's CDMA towers and converting them to T-Moblie GSM that will include Metro's bandwidth and frequencies. Then T-Mobile acquired lots of bandwidth and frequencies from the failed AT&T deal that is still rolling out as part of the Metro rebuild that is a head of schedule that has already re-purposed three Metro markets of Las Vegas, Dallas and Boston. More will be completed by end of 2014 and the Metro conversion will be 100% converted over to T-Mobile by Mid-2015.

    On top of that Verizon Wireless (NYSE:VZ) agreed to sell its lower 700 MHz A Block spectrum to T-Mobile US (NYSE:TMUS) for $2.365 billion in cash, capping months of feverish speculation over whether the carriers would strike a deal for the airwaves. The deal also includes the companies' previously announced AWS and PCS spectrum licenses, which T-Mobile said have a total estimated value of approximately $950 million.

    The agreements are subject to approval by the FCC and the Department of Justice, and T-Mobile said that following regulatory approval, it expects the deals to close in mid-2014.

    At its heart, the A Block deal is about giving T-Mobile a leg up in low-band spectrum holdings below 1 GHz, where Verizon and AT&T (NYSE:T) currently have overwhelmingly strong portfolios compared with other carriers. Low-band spectrum can propagate farther, giving T-Mobile's network a potential coverage boost and better in-building penetration. T-Mobile said the spectrum, which it will use for LTE, would lead to increased gross subscriber additions, lower churn and a reduction in future capital expenditures.

    T-Mobile said the transactions, combined with its existing A Block holdings in the Boston metro area, will result in T-Mobile having low-band spectrum in nine of the top 10 and 21 of the top 30 markets across the United States. Combined with its existing Boston A Block holdings, T-Mobile said it will have low-band spectrum covering approximately 158 million POPs, including Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. T-Mobile said the spectrum covers 70 percent of its existing customer base.

    T-Mobile said it expects to roll out service and compatible handsets on this A Block spectrum as early as the fourth quarter of 2014.

    Read more for FULL STORY : T-Mobile buys Verizon's 700 MHz A Block spectrum for $2.4B - FierceWireless T-Mobile buys Verizon's 700 MHz A Block spectrum for $2.4B - FierceWireless
    Subscribe at FierceWireless
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Incitatus View Post
    Nexus 5:

    I have been with TMo for about 7 years. Maybe it's the N5, but I have noticed more and more dead spots in my travels lately. I have been contemplating a switch to Verizon because of this. So many places (off the beaten path, but still on a highway) that I haven't been able to even make a call, let alone data.

    I assume TMo is addressing their network coverage and strength, or this N5 just has a weaker antenna than the S3 I moved from.

    Curious if anyone has moved from Tmo to Verizon, and how the experience went? Any good plans that aren't listed on the Verizon website? It seems all I could find were $75 for unlimited calls n text +2gb data. Not too amazing to me.


    Thank you
    Don't know why anyone that owns their own phone uses anyone but the No-Contract service provider since they are AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. Straight Talk is owned by Trackphone but uses mainly Sprint (CDMA) & AT&T (GSM). Yes even Verizon trys but fails to play there.

    Check out these two articles.

    Best No-Contract Cell Phone Plans 2014

    What Cricket has that the others don't is AT&T's LTE network.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    They are working on it. They said they are going to convert their edge to LTE (50% of it) by the end of this year. We will see if they can keep that promise .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    You make it sound like T-Mobile has a decent EDGE coverage to begin with. They don't. I had T-Mobile before. It covers only major cities and major highways out side the major cities. It is pretty **** poor TBH.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    You make it sound like T-Mobile has a decent EDGE coverage to begin with. They don't. I had T-Mobile before. It covers only major cities and major highways out side the major cities. It is pretty **** poor TBH.
    It is all where you live, where you work and where you play plus where your cell towers are. I live between Fort Laderdale and Boca Raton Florida in a major metro area. When I had AT&T (2012) that I had to walk down the street a half a block for anyone to be able to hear a word I said and I was paying over $115 a month for that with a iPhone w/2 year contract. I don't miss standing in the sun or rain using AT&T. Then a friend walked in for a football game and gets a call on Metro PCS inside my house and I went there the next day and got Metro. I got a much better service from Metro PCS for $40 a month than I ever got from AT&T. Even when I had AT&T it had dead zones all over the place driving in my car where my call was dropped consistently. That has never happen to me with Metro PCS.

    I have no love for AT&T and I would never use them again since they tried to screw me for over $300 when I paid off and my closed my 2 year contract the day before it expired since they claimed it sill had 8 hours left on the two year contract. I walked out of AT&T office all square and two weeks after closing my account I get a big bill for ending my AT&T contract early which they claimed was midnight. I had been with AT&T for over 4 years and that was how I was treated since I walked into a Corp store where they told me how to do it and I had it recorded. I was told to move my number to Metro or it would be gone if I closed my AT&T account first. I had been paying both AT&T and Metro for months waiting for that 2/year contract to expire. Then I got a lawyer that sent them a letter and AT&T decided I didn't own them anything. You will never convince me AT&T is a good company.

    AT&T is why I own my own phone and only have a no contract service since I want to be able to fire my service provider when they sux instead of having to living with it for 2 years under contract like AT&T.

    BTW, do some reading... T-Mobile Provides Fastest LTE in U.S.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Sounds like you have an axe to grind against AT&T. That's fine. We all hate our providers whoever they are. AT&T also offers no contract plans now thanks to competition from T-Mobile.

    But none of your t-mobile marketing posts addressed op's own experience of lack of coverage where he travels. Such coverage takes alot of time and money to expand. T-Mobile lacks both at present. Purchasing of metroPCS won't add much as MetroPCS towers are also located in big cities and T-Mobile has to spend additional $$$ to convert them from CDMA to LTE/GSM.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    You make it sound like T-Mobile has a decent EDGE coverage to begin with. They don't. I had T-Mobile before. It covers only major cities and major highways out side the major cities. It is pretty **** poor TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    Sounds like you have an axe to grind against AT&T. That's fine. We all hate our providers whoever they are. AT&T also offers no contract plans now thanks to competition from T-Mobile.

    But none of your t-mobile marketing posts addressed op's own experience of lack of coverage where he travels. Such coverage takes alot of time and money to expand. T-Mobile lacks both at present. Purchasing of metroPCS won't add much as MetroPCS towers are also located in big cities and T-Mobile has to spend additional $$$ to convert them from CDMA to LTE/GSM.
    I wasn't saying they are the best... You just took it as that (sounds like you have an axe to grind with T-Mobile ). I was saying they are working on it. They said they are focusing on coverage now.. Why? Because they know they suck in that department.. So why bad mouth them for at least working on it? In the past they've said they are going to do X and have done it.

    As said though carriers are highly dependent on area. Such as my area T-Mobile rocks... But I know for a fact that isn't the case everywhere. The only carrier that is safe to say works in majority of places is Verizon... But at the end of the day it's about where you work & play and also what you want to pay to determine what is a "good" carrier or a "bad" carrier.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    There is a loyalty $60 plan with unlimited talk and text and 2gb data. Ymmv. See the faq in my signature for details.

    Also keep in mind that the $60 price includes subsidized phones, which is worth around $20. So when comparing it to unsubsidized plans, keep that in mind.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I wasn't saying they are the best... You just took it as that (sounds like you have an axe to grind with T-Mobile ). I was saying they are working on it. They said they are focusing on coverage now.. Why? Because they know they suck in that department.. So why bad mouth them for at least working on it? In the past they've said they are going to do X and have done it.
    I didn't. I simply stated the fact that T-mo has poor coverage and N5 is known to have weak radio. How T-Mobile is going to address the coverage issue remains to be seen. That won't happen over night or even end of the year. OP has the legitimate concern that his phone often gets no signal. So, the sound advise is to move to a carrier that has the coverage now (as oppose to maybe in the future) and also supports the N5. I see no need to defend any carrier. It seems to me that a few here feel the strong need to defend the carrier of their current choice.

    For the record, I like T-Mobile for its customer service and value, I hate AT&T but I hate Verizon even more as a company. I will try my best to avoid doing business with Verizon. I had Sprint in the past as well. They are slightly better than T-Mobile in coverage but customer service is the worst.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    I didn't. I simply stated the fact that T-mo has poor coverage and N5 is known to have weak radio. How T-Mobile is going to address the coverage issue remains to be seen. That won't happen over night or even end of the year. OP has the legitimate concern that his phone often gets no signal. So, the sound advise is to move to a carrier that has the coverage now (as oppose to maybe in the future) and also supports the N5. I see no need to defend any carrier. It seems to me that a few here feel the strong need to defend the carrier of their current choice.

    For the record, I like T-Mobile for its customer service and value, I hate AT&T but I hate Verizon even more as a company. I will try my best to avoid doing business with Verizon. I had Sprint in the past as well. They are slightly better than T-Mobile in coverage but customer service is the worst.
    True. Sadly he really only has AT&T as his other choice. If i didn't need much data I'd go to Verizon.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Anyone out there move from T-Mobile, to Verizon?

    I used to carry two phones, a GN on Verizon and the N5 on T-Mobile. When consolidating (retiring the GN), I decided I couldn't stay on T-Mobile due to the in-building dead zones in DC area.

    I went with AT&T with the N5 and it has been amazing. Haven't missed Verizon (or T-Mobile) for an instant.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Hi from Canada
    By Knightflt in forum Introductions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-01-2014, 10:10 PM
  2. verizon note 2 XLTE
    By bulldogmoe7 in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-21-2014, 07:13 PM
  3. verizon note 2 XLTE
    By bulldogmoe7 in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 05:22 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 09:53 AM

Posting Permissions