Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Dayvidpriddy
  • 1 Post By LeoRex
  • 2 Post By Almeuit
  • 1 Post By silentbobdrummer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New Nexus 5 owner, kinda a rant:)

One of the things that I can't stand about Android are how some of the app developers insist on overloading an app with 100 different settings and options, it just makes the experience overwhelming! I downloaded Handcent SMS (because apparently it's the most popular SMS app out there for Android) and I couldn't believe how many settings and options were in a simple SMS app. I think I'll just stick with "Hangouts"...geez Louise!

Default Re: New Nexus 5 owner, kinda a rant:)

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    One of the things that I can't stand about Android are how some of the app developers insist on overloading an app with 100 different settings and options, it just makes the experience overwhelming! I downloaded Handcent SMS (because apparently it's the most popular SMS app out there for Android) and I couldn't believe how many settings and options were in a simple SMS app. I think I'll just stick with "Hangouts"...geez Louise!
    I am with you on this. An app doesn't need to be complicated- simplicity goes along way. When the app is decent, there should not been a need for change. In reference to Hangouts does that work? I found it was quite a bit buggy. Handcent, Chomp, EvolveSMS etc are all just bloatware really- I have bought a few and noted they didn't really suit...anyone! Hangouts is good as it acts as SMS and Chat, and is inbuilt!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes I actually was surprised that I liked hangouts, I disabled my Google account/E-Mail address that was associating itself with the app (I guess this is for video chatting or something) and just use it as SMS and it works perfectly. I've had no issues at all with it.
    Thanked by:

I agree. I'm a proponent of K.I.S.S. whenever feasible. That's why I also stuck with Hangouts.
    Thanked by:

I like Hangouts, too, but there is something to be said about being able to customize your experience on any app. There are some apps out there that have surprisingly sparse settings menus.

And you call that a rant? That was more like a proper Shakespearean monologue compared to some of the real rants on these forums.
    crxssi and gidgiddonihah like this.

I use hangouts daily and I really like the feature where when I'm at the store and I don't know which something or other to get. I just just take a photo send it and get a reply all in one screen. Never had any issues. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't try another app.

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I like Hangouts, too, but there is something to be said about being able to customize your experience on any app. There are some apps out there that have surprisingly sparse settings menus.

And you call that a rant? That was more like a proper Shakespearean monologue compared to some of the real rants on these forums.
    Well I didn't want to get too crazy and be called a troll, a word this is way overused by the way
    B. Diddy likes this.

It took me a while to get use to Hangout.
    But im starting to like it more and more..
    I don't see more using anything else.
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

None of this has anything to do with the Nexus 5, but whatever.

I disagree completely. The more settings the better, so one can customize the experience better. Nothing is more annoying than an application that doesn't have a setting you need. And many developers seem to be under some illusion they know what is "best". Want an example? One otherwise excellent app had a timeout setting that one could ONLY choose between 0.5, 1, 2, and 5 minutes for an alert. I mean, WTF??? Is there some reason he couldn't use a three digit with decimal number input so the user could have 3 minutes or 10 minutes or 15 seconds?

The key is to implement the settings correctly by having them properly categorized, presented, and worded. Some really good programs also separate by "basic settings" and "advanced" so you can skip all the advanced if you don't care or feel like diving in. And also some will have a "reset to default" or one and/or all settings so if something is accidentally changed, it can be put back to "normal" behavior.

Choice is almost always good, when it is done right.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:

I read this forum almost every day and never heard of Handcent SMS. Most people here use Textra that is almost automatic in setting up. It does have a few options but I think I only added one with group SMS and was good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Choice is almost always good, when it is done right.
    Smartphone apps need not be fussy... the form factor leads itself to a need to simplicity of design. Look at what Google did with their camera app... when they redesigned it, they pared down the UI to the bare essentials and shipped off all the more advanced stuff to a single, easily accessible menu. This makes for an easy to use and intuitive app. As they add back in features, they'll get added into that menu without cluttering the UI. In contrast to that, A Better Camera... a very feature rich camera app that packs in DSLR-levels of stuff. But in comparison, I find the UI very busy and cluttered.

Here they are when you pull out the options slider on both:

Google Camera:
    New Nexus 5 owner, kinda a rant:)-screenshot_2014-05-20-10-05-29.png
    A Better Camera:
    New Nexus 5 owner, kinda a rant:)-screenshot_2014-05-20-10-05-10.png

Now, ABC most certainly has vastly more features, but when confronted with that pull out menu, you are kind of flooded with icons, many of which aren't needed for your average on-the-go shot. There are more options buried under the "more settings icon, then even MORE under that "S" icon on the right. I've used both, but I find myself playing the MS Word-like game of "Find the feature" with ABC, and it gets relegated to times when I want to do something clever... GC does all the heavy lifting.
    Dayvidpriddy likes this.

I would use hangouts but it doesn't have a quick reply. I use ChompSMS for the quick reply so when someone texts me and my phone is locked.. I can reply and the phone relocks.

Or even when in an app.. Reply and continue doing what I was doing.. No swapping.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    I read this forum almost every day and never heard of Handcent SMS. Most people here use Textra that is almost automatic in setting up. It does have a few options but I think I only added one with group SMS and was good to go.
    Handcent has been around for years.. Before textra. Textra just became popular fast Hence why you've heard of it .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    All else being equal, I'd rather have options than not have options.

But the real problem was not the options. But that the developer did not make navigating them efficient. The UI was designed poorly.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    All else being equal, I'd rather have options than not have options.

But the real problem was not the options. But that the developer did not make navigating them efficient. The UI was designed poorly.

It is a tricky thing- some apps just need settings, some you prefer bare minimum. I agree with crxssi, spreading the Advanced and 'basic' settings is a good way to go, and everything he said I back. I just want an app that looks simple, and is simple, and lets me get advanced if I want to.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Look at "hello", its a simple SMS app. Best designed one I've seen as well, IMO.

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

I liked Hangouts too but I got Textra to set different notification alerts and light colors for different contacts. I had to as I needed to know who was texting without looking at the phone. And now that I use Textra, I love it.
    Droid Incredible since June 2010
    Nexus 5 since March 2014
    tonyr6 likes this.

Yeah thats the thing about Handcent, its for the people that want to customize their stuff to the nth degree. for me it was a bit much as well but thats me i only would use that for increased space on mms size

Textra is brilliant...lightweight, fast, cleanly laid out, free, no ads!

Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diminisheduk View Post
    Textra is brilliant...lightweight, fast, cleanly laid out, free, no ads!
    I switched from Textra to 8sms https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tyeightsms.mms
    Also lightweight, fast, clean, free, no ads. Seems to work better for me, but I don't exactly remember why, now
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G