Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dkhmwilliams
  • 1 Post By Nophix
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Did Apple deliberately try to undermine Rivials with iMessage?

Powerful accusation here that since iOS 5 Apple has orchestrated punishment to Apple Deserters with iMessage.

Apple fury over nixed messages
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Default Re: Did Apple deliberately try to undermine Rivials with iMessage?

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Powerful accusation here that since iOS 5 Apple has orchestrated punishment to Apple Deserters with iMessage.

Probably true.
    Don't forget that Steve Jobs was so mad that Android was 'stealing' his iOS thunder that he publicly swore on his mother's grave that he would "destroy Android" totally.
    This iMessage BS is quite obviously part of that project.

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post

Wouldn't be surprised its apple and it's big business so anything is possible. I'd believe its true

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

I wouldn't doubt it for a second. Apple mixed imessage and SMS in the first place in a way that defaulted all iOS to iOS messaging to iMessage, regardless of user intention. Then they made it complicated to switch out of it even when the system did work as intended. Now this.

I completely think it was deliberate. There's no other reason for it to be that difficult.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

What I think is funny is I have friends that switched from Apple to Android because their friends with Android couldn't get their messages. I just found out my sister been sending me texts from her Fruit phone that I have never got for the last 2.5 years. When I told her the problem was with Apple she said that enplanes why so many of her friends don't get her texts messages. I am going to e-mail this article to her and I hope she tosses that Fruit phone.

The decision makers at the fruit company are scumbags. Of course it was on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Briggs View Post
    The decision makers at the fruit company are scumbags. Of course it was on purpose.
    This.

From mah shiny new Nexus 5

**** Apple. I did so much **** to try and deactivate iMessages before getting my Nexus. Followed all directions, including calling Apple to have them disassociate me with my iMessages info or whatever. After about a week the problem seemed to be solved....still isn't though. Half year later and I still can't get texts from certain people with iPhone's (regardless of what either of us do). So lame.

I don't know here. I had an iPhone and have resolved my problems. One very important part of this equation is to make sure that you (former iPhone user) have the folks that you are not receiving messages from delete the message thread and start a new message. That along with making sure you disable imessage on the previous phone should solve these issues.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Pelton View Post
    I don't know here. I had an iPhone and have resolved my problems. One very important part of this equation is to make sure that you (former iPhone user) have the folks that you are not receiving messages from delete the message thread and start a new message. That along with making sure you disable imessage on the previous phone should solve these issues.

That is if it works as designed. My point is that you shouldn't have to. There's no reason other than anticompetitive market manipulation to default intended SMS to iMessage format. They could have kept the two separate. The only reason I can think of that they didn't is because it wouldn't lock people into iOS. And no, being able to SMS from tablets or computers isn't it, as apps like MightyText already allow that without platform lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    That is if it works as designed. My point is that you shouldn't have to. There's no reason other than anticompetitive market manipulation to default intended SMS to iMessage format. They could have kept the two separate. The only reason I can think of that they didn't is because it wouldn't lock people into iOS. And no, being able to SMS from tablets or computers isn't it, as apps like MightyText already allow that without platform lockdown.

I agree. I think that it was deliberate on Apple's part. I had to give up my Note 3 and go back to an iPhone because I couldn't get it resolved completely. I hated having to do that. Not that I didn't love my iPhone, because I do love it. It's the principle, I had to go back because I wasn't getting text messages from very important people I worked with and I wasn't willing to change my number or call every one of them to have settings changed. I heard that this problem was going to be fixed soon. When it is fixed, I'm gone and may be gone for good. So if anyone is looking to buy an iPad Air and iPhone 5S, it will be on the market soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Shilohcane likes this.

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ROM
    Which phone?

I switched from an iPhone 5 to the Nexus 5, and the imessage mess has been bad enough to almost make me go back. I'm still fighting with it.

I'm the guy who likes to bounce around between devices. I get bored. Apple has almost completely alienated me now thanks to the this mess.

Galaxy S3
    iPhone 5
    Kindle Fire

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ROM
    Which phone?

That would be fine if I didn't have a large group of company personnel and clients and friends...etc.

I hate to play the image card, but it looks rather unprofessional, and the fact that Apple made software that requires such an action is unforgivable.

Galaxy S3
    iPhone 5
    Kindle Fire
    Thanked by:
    JohnnyBroccoli likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nophix View Post
    I switched from an iPhone 5 to the Nexus 5, and the imessage mess has been bad enough to almost make me go back. I'm still fighting with it.

I'm the guy who likes to bounce around between devices. I get bored. Apple has almost completely alienated me now thanks to the this mess.

The odd thing is that Google has integrated Hangouts with SMS and they don't have that issue at all. It would have been really easy for Apple to do the same thing. But instead, they decided to make switching from iOS very difficult. And they shouldn't feel threatened by Android or Samsung. Apple makes a great product, I have always thought so. But this fiasco may make people not want to buy Apple initially.

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ROM
    Which phone?

Totally agreed. Hangouts even works well on my Mac. Not sure what Apple was trying to do, but I think they lost customers for sure.

Galaxy S3
    iPhone 5
    Kindle Fire

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    The odd thing is that Google has integrated Hangouts with SMS and they don't have that issue at all. It would have been really easy for Apple to do the same thing. But instead, they decided to make switching from iOS very difficult. And they shouldn't feel threatened by Android or Samsung. Apple makes a great product, I have always thought so. But this fiasco may make people not want to buy Apple initially.

Totally agreed. Hangouts even works well on my Mac. Not sure what Apple was trying to do, but I think they lost customers for sure.

I've always liked Apple products, too, but this has completely turned me off. I've had issues that seem to be FINALLY resolved, and I haven't had an iPhone for about a year and a half.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I go back to Apple.

Dammit. Didn't mean to click the thumbs up. I did all that and still can't get messages from at least one iPhone user.

. Hangouts even works well on my Mac.
    Key point... Hangouts is kind of Google version of iMessage, but with one key feature: platform independence.

Google welcome Apple users with open arms and there many Google apps on iOS... How many Apple apps are on Android? Are there any?

Apple needs users to buy their heavily marked up hardware to stay successful. Google just needs users.

If apple allowed imessage to be used by any os I'd probably still use it. I would probably pay for the app too. When I switched to my N5 it took about 48 hours to work out the apple imessage problem. I still notice if I'm included on group text message from apple users I sometimes don't get the message. Ironically the only thing I really miss about my iPhone is imessage...

But they are quick to say they have the best software engineers in the world. A bug they've known about but have not been able to fix... Yeah, right!

Like when I had a GS3 and the specific iOS 'update' made it practically useless it was so slow. Fans bought the latest apple phone. I switched to android.

I recently switched from Apple to Samsung and I wasn't getting text messages from my Apple friends. After a week, I realized this and had them all delete me from their address book and then re-enter me, not in the iPhone number category - just a plain vanilla mobile number. That seems to have worked!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk