Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stopped receiving e-mail notifications on stock e-mail app

I started having this issue yesterday--I have YMail, Hotmail and GMail accounts all in the stock e-mail app on my Nexus 5. I also use Lightflow for LED notifications and have had no problems. I noticed I was no longer receiving the taskbar icon notifications in the upper left for new e-mails, nor the Lightflow LED notifications. I still get Hangout/text notifications, not sure about missed calls. Based on a couple of posts here I:
    1) Confirmed notifications set to On in the e-mail app for each of the e-mail acounts
    2) Turned phone off and then back on
    3) Cleared data and cleared cache in e-mail app -- didn't help
    4) Uninstalled Lightflow app
    5) Deleted all 3 accounts from the e-mail app, then added them back in; rebooted -- still no notifications

I don't use the stock GMail app for GMail since I prefer to just have one icon to use to keep track of all my e-mail accounts.

Any suggestions other than a full system restore? Thanks for any help!

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Stopped receiving e-mail notifications on stock e-mail app

Look thru' the list of the apps that can access your notifications - settings/security/notification access - and see if there any app there that can access your notifications. Since you've removed lightflow, that list should be empty. I'm pretty sure that lightflow is not the culprit, but start debugging there.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, jj14x. Yep, I checked that. Before deleting Lightflow, it was the only app listed there. Now no apps are listed. I added back in the Gmail app, and it does seem to provide notifications. Still no luck with the stock email app notifications. .

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Are you using the stock ROM/kernel etc? Are you connected to an exchange server?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Totally stock, and not connected to an Exchange server. I thought about uninstalling and re-installing the stock e-mail app, but it looks like it can't be uninstalled (and I don't want to make things worse!).

Lots of people get into Settings -> Apps and start disabling things either because they are trying to save battery or because they imagine that big brother is watching them too closely. What they don't understand is the way many of these processes tie together.

So, my question for maxq54 is, have you disabled anything in Settings -> Apps? Especially any Google tools or services?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Nope, I've made no settings changes for several weeks. The notifications simply stopped arriving a few days ago. Last night though, they started arriving again. I'd previsoulsy uninstalled Lightflow and rebooted a few times, with no change in the lack of notifications. No apparent reason for them stopping, nor for them re-starting.

Any chance you turned sync off and they simply weren't synching in the background?
    Nexus 5 on Sprint