Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Default My daughters iPhone 5s...I want it GONE!!!!!!!

Ok ok...Due to a total brain fart and lack of Fatherly Will-Power I gave in and got her a 5s...I never saw one until she had it home from BB. Now don't get me wrong it is a beautiful device BUT THAT'S WHERE IT ENDS FOR ME!!! I cant for the life of me figure out how to get her songs and movies on there? I took a half a day off and still cant figure it out? LOL...with my N5 or Android tablets its pretty cut and dry for me. The pc drag and drop or open google drive and it works so flawlessly...Not on the iPhone its almost like its on LOCK DOWN!!! On the Iphone Google drive doesn't recognize the file type..I tried to load the files on iTunes? No dice, wrong file type...Anyone know a site for Dummies to walk-through how to get songs and movies on the Iphone? Now I remember why I love my Android N5. Thanks.

Default Re: My daughters iPhone 5s...I want it GONE!!!!!!!

ITunes.....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Yeah, it is super easy. Sounds more like you just want to hate on Apple. Syncing stuff via iTunes is easier than it is syncing via any program with Android IMO.
    Michael Nancarrow likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

Even so, using sync type software of any sort for music is such a 2010 thing to do.
    Michael Nancarrow likes this.

Hundreds of millions of iPhone users can read the phone's instruction manual to sync media content.

OP would rather spend half a day doing the wrong thing, then blame Apple.
    Thanked by 2:

Ok, so this isn't the Phone Wars subforum. The OP may be expressing an opinion, but also seems to be genuinely trying to figure out how to transfer music and videos onto the iPhone. Now, I'm not very familiar with iPhones or with the whole process of transferring media (I only use iTunes on my PC for an ancient iPod), so I thought I'd Google that question ("drag and drop music iPhone")--and it is in fact quite difficult to find a good answer, since the first couple of pages seem to include answers from 2011 and 2012, or posts from iPhone support forums (as opposed to official tutorials on an Apple support page). So I don't see this as necessarily a "let's bash iPhone" post--it's a significantly different process than on Android, and the OP is clearly not familiar with it.

Hopefully there are some folks on these forums who are familiar with iOS and who can point the OP in the right direction. But it might be more helpful to post the question in a forum like iMore (without the partisan comments, of course).
    Thanked by 5:
    crxssi, jroc, lizardchest and 1 others like this.

Itunes

What types of music files does iTunes support?
    MP3, AAC, WAV, AIFF, and Apple Lossless.

iTunes - Get Started - Apple Support
    LG-isai
    Thanked by:

With my old iPhone 3G, I used a 3rd party program, Copy Trans to drag and drop music/videos. I know it was on Windows. I don't think there was a Mac OS X version at the time.

1) You install iTunes on your desktop and allow it to search for music already existing on your drive.
    2) You connect the iPhone (or iPad) via USB (preferably) to your desktop; iTunes auto-opens if not already running.
    3) You tell iTunes which music, videos, podcasts, etc. you want to copy to the device, mostly by dragging/dropping.

When you commit to an iPhone/iPad, you also pretty much commit to iTunes as your management app on the desktop. If you don't have a desktop or other computer on which to run iTunes, you will encounter a number of difficulties with the iPhone/iPad.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post
    Yeah, it is super easy. Sounds more like you just want to hate on Apple. Syncing stuff via iTunes is easier than it is syncing via any program with Android IMO.
    Oh really?
    Try it when your computers run Linux, then and see how easy it is.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by 2:

I disagree. Copying files is even worse. It is a thing of the 90's

Using iTunes provides many advantages and is one of the main advantages of the Apple ecosystem. Add to that iTunes on the cloud, and you have the best ecosystem out there.

You can even use iTunes Match to bring media to your iOS device.

OP: I will only say, RTFM
    iMac 27" mid 2013, iPad Air Cellular 64Gb White/silver, HTC One M8
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Banned

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

WelI, I see the Trolls are out...I found some tutorials but really none of them address the changing of the file types...As we all know from Android, PC use it transfers pretty seamlessly...Still looking for the work around, will post once I figure it out...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muddy211 View Post
    WelI, I see the Trolls are out...I found some tutorials but really none of them address the changing of the file types...As we all know from Android, PC use it transfers pretty seamlessly...Still looking for the work around, will post once I figure it out...Thanks
    You can configure iTunes to keep mp3 as the default format and then import your music. By default iTunes will convert it to AAC.
    iMac 27" mid 2013, iPad Air Cellular 64Gb White/silver, HTC One M8
    _X_

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

ITunes by far is the worst piece of garbage ever published,I wouldn't wish it on my enemies.
    Thanked by:
    Ed Briggs, tonyr6 and dty06 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Ok, so this isn't the Phone Wars subforum. The OP may be expressing an opinion, but also seems to be genuinely trying to figure out how to transfer music and videos onto the iPhone. Now, I'm not very familiar with iPhones or with the whole process of transferring media (I only use iTunes on my PC for an ancient iPod), so I thought I'd Google that question ("drag and drop music iPhone")--and it is in fact quite difficult to find a good answer, since the first couple of pages seem to include answers from 2011 and 2012, or posts from iPhone support forums (as opposed to official tutorials on an Apple support page). So I don't see this as necessarily a "let's bash iPhone" post--it's a significantly different process than on Android, and the OP is clearly not familiar with it.

Hopefully there are some folks on these forums who are familiar with iOS and who can point the OP in the right direction. But it might be more helpful to post the question in a forum like iMore (without the partisan comments, of course).

You use Itunes.... My 3 year old Niece can do it ... Just go to itunes put in the music onto it and sync ...
    _X_

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petvas72 View Post
    I disagree. Copying files is even worse. It is a thing of the 90's
    No I disagree having to use a proprietary to transfer the most standardized file format is taking us back to the stone age of computers.

It should not be so hard to transfer such basic format. And I should not have to be forced to install such a good awful app such as iTunes.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
    crxssi, jroc and GrooveRite like this.

If your trying to use FLAC files I don't believe that is even supported on iphone

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

Install iTunes, sync stuff. It may be annoying but it is hardly difficult. In terms of movie files they should be MP4 format. If you hate cables you can sync via iTunes over WIFI.

I know many Android folk hate on iTunes. But is an easy way to allow people who are not used to technology to access their stuff. It is easy to manage everything from the same place.

What I find strange these days is people moving that much media. I have everything in some cloud service. I recently changed from an iPhone to a Moto X and I didnt have to connect anything to get anything.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Banned

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by machzk View Post
    Install iTunes, sync stuff. It may be annoying but it is hardly difficult. In terms of movie files they should be MP4 format. If you hate cables you can sync via iTunes over WIFI.

I know many Android folk hate on iTunes. But is an easy way to allow people who are not used to technology to access their stuff. It is easy to manage everything from the same place.

What I find strange these days is people moving that much media. I have everything in some cloud service. I recently changed from an iPhone to a Moto X and I didnt have to connect anything to get anything.
    - - - Updated - - -

I have everything on the "CLOUD" aka Google Drive? I have the Drive app on my N5, all the files work, I have the app on my multiple Android tablets, it works, even on my PC... I go to Google Drive sign in and all the files work...Music and Movies...The Itunes store has the Google Drive app, its installed but the iPhone does not recognize any of the files? Still looking...Thanks. Go Rangers!!!

Cool Re: My daughters iPhone 5s...I want it GONE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
    ITunes by far is the worst piece of garbage ever published,I wouldn't wish it on my enemies.
    I have to disagree. I think I would wish it on my enemies... ;-)
    Thanked by:
    vincentallen2 and Lpen21 like this.

I have been using iOS for a couple years (company phone is an iPhone) and I have lost my cool many times with iTunes. It is slow and somewhat unintuitive when it comes to some of the things I like to do. However, necessity being the mother of invention (or something like that), I have figured out some workarounds including 3rd party device apps to help me with this...and I am reasonably settled on the matter. To the OP... Make sure you have configured iTunes to the MP3 default for music and then make sure whatever movies you try to send over to the device are either MP4 or a format recognized by a 3rd party app on the device (such as Azul) and then utilize iTunes to move it all to the device. Once I figured out that it can work and then how to make it work for me I have lost my cool much less often. Good luck.

Global Posts
    2,451 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Ok ok...Due to a total brain fart and lack of Fatherly Will-Power I gave in and got her a 5s...I never saw one until she had it home from BB. Now don't get me wrong it is a beautiful device BUT THAT'S WHERE IT ENDS FOR ME!!! I cant for the life of me figure out how to get her songs and movies on there?
    You basically have to use iTunes as a file manager for Apple devices. It was a pain for me too.

Supposedly iOS7 allows drag and drop, but I don't know how to use it.

Global Posts
    2,451 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by machzk View Post

I actually find it to be incredibly unintuitive.

You must not need to access your music in areas with a bad (or no) signal, or in buildings. If I was in that situation I would totally rely on Cloud storage as well.

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I actually find it to be incredibly unintuitive.

You must not need to access your music in areas with a bad (or no) signal, or in buildings. If I was in that situation I would totally rely on Cloud storage as well.
    I don't usually have many reasons to use iTunes, but when I have to, I don't see what the fuss is about. Complaints about it seems like an exaggeration to me.

Regarding my media files, I use Spotify, previously Google Play. The songs can be synced. I do not have media on my devices that cannot be downloaded or synced from the cloud.

Sent from my Moto X...

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts

Ok ok...Due to a total brain fart and lack of Fatherly Will-Power I gave in and got her a 5s...I never saw one until she had it home from BB. Now don't get me wrong it is a beautiful device BUT THAT'S WHERE IT ENDS FOR ME!!! I cant for the life of me figure out how to get her songs and movies on there? I took a half a day off and still cant figure it out? LOL...with my N5 or Android tablets its pretty cut and dry for me. The pc drag and drop or open google drive and it works so flawlessly...Not on the iPhone its almost like its on LOCK DOWN!!! On the Iphone Google drive doesn't recognize the file type..I tried to load the files on iTunes? No dice, wrong file type...Anyone know a site for Dummies to walk-through how to get songs and movies on the Iphone? Now I remember why I love my Android N5. Thanks.
    There is some really good advice on here.

The songs are pretty easy - install iTunes and then drag and drop the mp3s into iTunes and it will convert them to AAC.

Movies are a bit trickier. If it is a supported movie file, then you can go to iTunes and add the file to your iTunes library via the Video tab. If not then you have to convert the file using 3rd party software like Handbrake or download a 3rd party app that will play the movie/sync the movie to be played by the app via iTunes (this sounds harder than it really is).
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast