Nexus 5 still worth it?

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I had my mind set on one phone - Z2 and I went to a store to try it out and yeah, it's a great phone, pretty much everything I expected, but then the Nexus 5 caught my eye. The phone's price is decent compared to other high end phones, so I don't have to get hitched to it as I would to any other flagship, but the phone does look a bit outdated.

Do you recommend getting it now?

What are your experiences with the phone?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had my mind set on one phone - Z2 and I went to a store to try it out and yeah, it's a great phone, pretty much everything I expected, but then the Nexus 5 caught my eye. The phone's price is decent compared to other high end phones, so I don't have to get hitched to it as I would to any other flagship, but the phone does look a bit outdated.

I like it. It is a very good phone. Probably the best thing about it is the phone difficult to brick.

demontooth

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I picked one up on Craigslist Friday. Every phone should have this back on it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5 seems a lot more practical than the Z2 and I love the back too, although I put all my phones in cases and the Nexus wouldn't be an exception.

Do you guys think it's a bit too late for a Nexus 5?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I picked one up on Craigslist Friday. Every phone should have this back on it.

I just picked up a extra N5 from Ebay two days ago for a friend that still loves mine and was going to buy a Moto G 4G LTE. Does Craigslist have protection like Ebay does with fraud? I have seen people on here that got a Blacklisted Nexus 5 off of Craigslist. Blacklisted phones are reported stolen & are locked out by service providers in the USA that are almost bricks.

BTW, Nexus 5 are really holding their their price on Ebay if they aren't damaged. Anyone that doesn't keep their N5 in a case is burning money when it comes to resale.

demontooth

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
You're on your own on Craigslist. I bought mine from a fine church going fellow. Real nice guy. Got it through T-Mobile but he works for the railroad and got stuck out in the middle of nowhere twice with no service. There are tons of shady characters on Craigslist though so you really have to be careful.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

If you are in the USA then no service providers has a contract with Sony's phones which means you would be paying retail. One of the major selling points of the Nexus 5 other than price is having the current release of Android. Sony xperia z2 sounds like a good phone but few people have it in the USA to know anything about it.

If I was looking at getting a new flagship phone and price wasn't a issue I would get the new LG G3 that is being called the new Samsung killer that features are better than any phone made today.

Read AC article on 10 Things about the LG G3

http://www.androidcentral.com/10-things-you-need-know-about-new-lg-g3

Last edited:

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I'm not from the US and I'm fine with paying the full retail. I was having some thoughts about the G3, but it's only out in July or something, plus that QHD screen seems gimmickly, I suspect the phone will have batterry issues as well as overheating. There has to be a reason why no other manufacturer went with the new QHD screen and my bet is on those two.

Being the first to get the newest Android is sure a nice treat for N5 owners, but I'm getting the N8 or N10 2 either ways.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys think it's a bit too late for a Nexus 5?

Well... look at it this way, when the last round of phones came out (m8, s5, etc) which is the phone they pull out to see how well they ran?

The gap between generations is shrinking, processors can only get so much faster, displays only be much more crisp... fact is that the Nexus 5 is still one if the smoothest and most responsive phones available, and still a great value (not to mention easy to come by - looking at you OnePlus).

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well... look at it this way, when the last round of phones came out (m8, s5, etc) which is the phone they pull out to see how well they ran?

The gap between generations is shrinking, processors can only get so much faster, displays only be much more crisp... fact is that the Nexus 5 is still one if the smoothest and most responsive phones available, and still a great value (not to mention easy to come by - looking at you OnePlus).

I do like how phones are getting more durable (water resistant etc etc.) Hopefully more phone manufacturers would do this but alas, they're greedy. No need to buy a new phone if my old phone won't break.

I just hope the N5 gets its fair share of updates. Not fair that Apple supports their products for 4-5 years, but Google kicks us to the curb after 2 years (Galaxy nexus.....)

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
So I've read a bit about the Snapdragon 810 and what I have to say is that I'm going with a Nexus.

Next year is the year of evolution with Octa-core 64bit cpus and I'm fairly positive that at the end of 2015 I will want a new phone and it would be rather dissappointing to give away a top end $700 phone like Z2 only after a year and a half. And that's why I've decided to go with the N5, so I could switch it earlier not having to worry. Plus as everyone here said, it's a great phone :)

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd prefer the Nexus simply for Vanilla Android and guaranteed updates if nothing else. But also...it's half the price of the Z2.

The Z2 doesn't suck, but if I was going to consider a vendor phone at this point. It'd probably be the G3. It's not that the Z2 sucks, but the G3 is just THAT good.

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
the back of the phone is one of my favorite parts about the phone.
I think the n5 is the best looking phone along with the oneplus one.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

If you already have a phone that you like you should keep it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk