Nexus 5: wifi keeps slowing to less than 2mpbs?

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have a brand-new Nexus 5. For some reason, the wifi connection keeps slowing to just less than 2mbps. If I turn the wifi off and on again via the phone settings, the connection always flies back up to around 30mpbs, but only for a short time (maybe around 15 minutes - it is seemingly random). My connection is a very stable fibre optic one and all other devices in my home operate fine, as did my previous phone.

I have tried all of the following options, which I found on a site, but to no avail:

1. Enable Airplane mode then turn off or toggle the Wi-Fi on and off to reset the connection.
2. Reboot the Nexus 5 to refresh the entire system.
3. Switch off the Wi-Fi router for 10 seconds then turn it back on.
4. On the Nexus 5 Settings menu, select Wireless and networks > Wi-Fi > Forget the network the problem then reconnect and entire the right details.
5. Update the firmware of the Wi-Fi router by checking the Web site from your Internet Service Provider's manual.
6. Change the band on your Nexus 5. Go to Settings > Wireless and networks > Wi-Fi > Menu key > Advance > Wi-Fi frequency band > Try 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz only instead of Auto. Uncheck the Avoid Poor Connections as well to improve Wi-Fi connectivity.

If anyone could offer any assistance then it would be really appreciated. I am absolutely impressed by this phone so far but this issue is really not good - it is slowing an otherwise lightning-fast phone down to a grind.

Thanks very much in advance,

Lee

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's pretty strange. It almost sounds like a QoS (Quality of Service) issue with the router, where it's selectively slowing down certain connections to keep other connections high speed and smooth. But I think that only occurs with Ethernet connections.

Try going to Settings>Wi-fi, tap Menu, then Advanced, and then UNCHECK Wi-Fi optimization. That option is not to make wi-fi reception better, but rather to decrease battery use when wi-fi is on, so it might actually impact the wi-fi performance.

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks very much for the response.
& warm welcome!

Unfortunately that option is something that I did uncheck and it has been in that state for a while now.

Thanks again,

Lee

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try logging into your router's setting page on your computer browser and see if there are any QoS settings.

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I will do that when/where possible. If any other ideas come to mind that I can give a go then I am more than happy to try any of them.

Thanks again!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it might be helpful if you tell us the brand and model of your current router.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, so it's a router provided by your broadband service. I'm not familiar with BT since I'm not in the UK, and I'm also not familiar with fiberoptic broadband (I'm stuck with cable broadband in California). But I know that with cable broadband, the combination cable modem/routers that the providers often give can be glitchy. Do you know if the BT Home Hub 5 is a combination modem/router?

Would it be possible to buy another router and set it up as separate access point in your house? Then see how the phone connects to that access point, instead of the Home Hub.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Grrr ... I suggest searching more of those BT forums, and maybe call their tech support. At least you know you're not alone.

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
This issue has seemingly rectified. Not sure if it's due to changing the router settings or something but I don't seem to be getting the lag anymore.

Thank you very much - it's very much appreciated indeed.

Take care,

Lee

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great, but I'll reserve judgment until the improvement remains consistent for at least a week!

Forged In Rage

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I had exactly the same issues.
My N5 connects to my WiFi without any problems, it first get's the full speed of 72 mbit/s.
But then after only about 30 seconds, the speed drops down to 1 mbit/s.
Turning N5 on/off, WiFi on/off, Airplane Mode on/off - repeats doing the same.
I'm using a Nexus 7 and a Nexus 10 in the same network,
they don't have any issues, also my PS3, Notebook and Printer don't have any speed drops.

Also, my N5 wifi is working great in all other networks I've been. It's just not working in my home network (AVM Fritzbox)

I spent many hours in researching the problems, I tried many things I found in the internet.
Reset N5, Reset Router, changed WiFi settings, channels, frequencies, static/dynamic IP, checked/unchecked any options.

After days I found one solution for myself:
I changed the WiFi standards on my router to 802.11 b+g.
Originally the setting was 802.11 n+b+g.

I don't have any WiFi issues anymore on my N5 since then.
But choosing the b+g standards instead of n+b+g brings you a slower WiFi bandwidth.
802.11 n+b+g offers 72 mbit/s
802.11 b+g offers only 54 mbit/s.

I chose to live with 18 mbit/s less... I need WiFi on my N5 when I'm at home.

Hope I could help anyone out there, I found many people on the net with the same issue!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon