Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By oskar1995
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default N5: Only camera on vacation?

Would you be good w/your Nexus 5 as the only camera you have on a vacation?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Default Re: N5: Only camera on vacation?

I'd still rather have a camera with a good optical zoom. But the N5 camera is good enough that I wouldn't regret having it as my only camera on vacation. There are times when I have both (my N5 and my Nikon L820), where the N5 takes better pictures.
    Ry likes this.

Carrier
    Stock for now

Agreed with B. Diddy on this one. I just got back from vacation and I'm glad I took my Panasonic FZ 200. The image quality is better, and the flexibility is really helpful. Ultimately though it would depend on what I'm taking pictures of. In this case it was pics of my one year old daughter and family at Disney and in the pool. For some of the one-off pictures (father in law in EPCOT, picture in a Mickey golf cart) I used my N5 and I'm happy about it.

One thing i found interesting. The new "google story" feature created an album based on the location of my pictures and our itinerary. Picked up stuff at the condo, stuff at EPCOT and the other parks. Picked up the Contemporary for the character breakfast. Outside of that, i didn't take enough for it to be really useful, but in the future I might make an effort to get more with the N5 and see what it looks like.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Yes, Google Story is pretty neat. We also recently did a Disney trip (but to Land, not World), and have a nice little Story for that. Stories take photos from your Google+ albums, so it doesn't have to be taken by your N5. If you upload any photo to G+, it can be incorporated into the Story.

The only problem would probably be battery because the camera would kill it pretty quickly

Posted via Android Central App

I've actually not had any real issues with battery drain from the camera--haven't seen that camera daemon issue on my unit.

I wouldn't ever have a camera without an optical zoom on vacation. I usually steal my mom's Canon Rebel XSi when I go on vacation as I can't afford one right now . But if you don't need an optical zoom the N5 would be good enough.

I just got home from a family cruise. I had it in airplane mode most of the time and most nights I went to bed with 94% - 98% battery. I took, on average, 30 - 50 pictures a day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    Would you be good w/your Nexus 5 as the only camera you have on a vacation?
    I already have. Several times.

DSLRs are just not that practical most of the time...especially the good ones. You can't take them near water and have to worry about breaking them or them getting stolen. And it is more likely to happen when you are trying to keep track of two devices instead of one.

My phone is also connected to the internet most of the time...so I can easily backup and store photos as I take them, or even share them.

Ultimately, it depends on your expectations for pictures. For me, the smartphone camera is good enough for every day casual shots, but for things like vacations, I use a Canon S110. Not only does it take better pictures and have an optical zoom, but it gives me full manual control if need be.

The other thing is, I have a 16GB SD card in my camera. I can shoot as many videos and pictures as I want at full resolution without having to worry about filling about the storage like I would have to on my Nexus 5.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry Guy View Post
    I can shoot as many videos and pictures as I want at full resolution without having to worry about filling about the storage like I would have to on my Nexus 5.
    True, but if you have a good data plan, then you could always upload those photos automatically or manually to your Google+ albums, and then clear it from your local storage if you need more room.

I would be perfectly fine with it.. love the camera on the N5
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

I'd prefer a DSLR for events where I am not going to be moving around in public...Weddings, ect.

For Vacations this is usually not the case...I'll be moving around in public a lot with lots of chances for breakage or getting stuff stolen. It's also a pain to carry around and keep track of multiple items. There was a time when DSLRs were so much better it still made them worth the trouble, but I think those days are past now. I totally disagree with Jerry's declaration that the worst DSLR is better than the best smartphone cameras. I just am not seeing that from the actual samples. Most high end smartphone cameras are up to the challenge now.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thanks for the replies. For me, it comes down to pic quality vs. # of gadgets for an upcoming Hawaii trip. Each trip, I travel w/more & more devices, gadgets, electronic toys, etc. and their chargers, accessories, cases, blah, blah. I'm bringing a GoPro, so I'm trying to decide if a 3rd camera is worth taking with each trip to the beach, hiking, water activity, luau, whatever.

I've even looked at getting a different phone with a better camera, like a Lumin 1020 or something. Not sure I want to drop that kinda cash right now, though. We'll see.

Sent from my 20266 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    Thanks for the replies. For me, it comes down to pic quality vs. # of gadgets for an upcoming Hawaii trip. Each trip, I travel w/more & more devices, gadgets, electronic toys, etc. and their chargers, accessories, cases, blah, blah. I'm bringing a GoPro, so I'm trying to decide if a 3rd camera is worth taking with each trip to the beach, hiking, water activity, luau, whatever.

I've even looked at getting a different phone with a better camera, like a Lumin 1020 or something. Not sure I want to drop that kinda cash right now, though. We'll see.

Sent from my 20266 using Tapatalk
    Jerry has said a number of times on the podcast that if your wanting to take good photos without the bulk of a DSLR get a point and shoot, with the cheaper ones you'll basically get the same results as a phone camera. For me, I have my DSLR (Canon Rebel T3) for events weddings, etc, my point and shoot (Sony WX350) for trips and my Nexus 5 for everyday shots.

Posted via Android Central App

I don't have an N5, but I would say yes. Of course an alternative couldn't hurt but for quick snapshots it could be handy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app