Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

Default Google Services Framework Clear behavior has changed

In the past there was a trick to force an OTA update which was to do a Force Stop and Clear Data on Google Services Framework and then do a check for updates. After the data clear the last update time would be Dec 31, 1969 (UNIX time 0) until you did the check for updates. Sometimes you would have have to repeat this a couple of times but it was a pretty reliable way to force the OTA update. I've just tried this on my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 and it no longer works. It doesn't forget the last update time and it doesn't get the OTA update. Are there any other tricks for getting the update besides grabbing the file from Google and installing it directly?

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Google Services Framework Clear behavior has changed

No (unless you get the OTA update from somebody else who is kind enough to share their update file)

Thanks. I did that method late last night which use to work and I had to uninstall the Play Store and sign out of my Google account on my Nexus 5 then sign back into it again. The Play Store said I had no internet connection.

With all this hassle to get a stupid update even having to root, bootload, unlocked having to erase everything or not crap I will just have to wait forever for Google to push the OTA update. The one thing I missed from switching from Apple was getting OTA the same day and even the ease of installing them from my PC. Now I have to hack this and root bootload that. I will just wait as long it takes.
    ASUS Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Stock Android 5.0.1 on WiFi.
    LG Nexus 5 Phone (2013) - Stock Android 5.0.1 on T-Mobile LTE and WiFi.
    Cats are the best pets.

if you see more gremlins - know that the required fix in the past was a total hard reset back to factory fresh state and then a manual re-sync and reinstall of all data/apps.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
    The one thing I missed from switching from Apple was getting OTA the same day and even the ease of installing them from my PC.
    Geez, how long ago did you have an iPhone? For years the OTA updates directly to your iPhone, just like Android. Of course you can choose to download and update from your PC (via iTunes) if you want.

Apple release their OTA updates at exactly the same time for all models and generations of phones. It annoys me no end that Google can't seem to manage that, and that their communication about updates is so poor. It's just an unnecessary frustration.

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
    With all this hassle to get a stupid update even having to root, bootload, unlocked having to erase everything or not crap I will just have to wait forever for Google to push the OTA update. The one thing I missed from switching from Apple was getting OTA the same day and even the ease of installing them from my PC. Now I have to hack this and root bootload that. I will just wait as long it takes.
    Not sure if you know this, or not - but you can install the update, using the file, without having to root/unlock or erasing anything. If you have the patience to wait for the OTA to be sent to your phone, sure - that will work. If you don't, you can download the OTA update file, and install it using adb from your PC. Yes, it requires you to type in one command line statement, and needs you to have ADB installed on your computer, but it isn't brain surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    Apple release their OTA updates at exactly the same time for all models and generations of phones. It annoys me no end that Google can't seem to manage that, and that their communication about updates is so poor. It's just an unnecessary frustration.
    From what I've heard from Google's engineers (I know somebody from their rollout planning team), the reason they don't release the updates to ALL nexus devices at the same time is to limit risk/potential for issues. Yes, they do test internally, but unlike iOS, Nexus users customize their phones, some, very heavily. All kinds of mods, sideloading apks etc. El Goog rolls it out initially to some devices, waits to see if there are bug reports that the device sends back to the mothership, and if no major issues are detected, they do the next rollout, and so on.

I agree though - they could do the staged rollout, and also provide eager users the ability to force the download to their devices. That would be the best of both worlds. They can rollout to the "rest of the Android users" at a controlled pace, and the few of us who wants the update "NOW" can request it. Who knows, maybe they will someday.
    Thanked by:
    tonyr6