Why does my Nexus 5 stop charging at 90?

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5 Stops Charging at 90%

Hello,

For some reason, my brand new Nexus 5 doesn't charge past 90%. I leave it charging all night and in the morning it is on the aforementioned reading.

If anyone has any ideas of what is causing this or what I can try to resolve the issue then it would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Lee

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Stops Charging at 90%

Thanks very much - I have performed that action and shall see if things improve after my next charge.

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

Well since the cache wipe, I am now hitting 100%! Thank you very much indeed, massively appreciated!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Great! The cache partition wipe is the new "unplug it and plug it back in again." The voodoo that goes on in the cache partition is a big mystery to me, but I do know that clearing it can solve various problems!

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

Ha.

I left my phone plugged in over night at just under 100%. This morning I unplugged it and it was at 94%. Is there some kind of cut off with the charging? It seems like it has got to 100% then stopped charging, before proceeding to slowly drain overnight?

If this is the case then it's a bit worrying as my phone is never going to be starting at 100% in the mornings...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The next time you charge overnight and still see the battery <100%, go to Settings>Battery, and tap the graph so that it becomes fullscreen. Give us that screenshot. I'd like to see if the "Charging" bar is solid at the bottom, or if it's intermittent. If it's intermittent, I'd wonder if there's a problem with your charging cable or your charging port.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If you tap the battery graph, it'll become full screen. Along the bottom, you'll see some bars, including a Charging bar. I'm interested in knowing if that Charging bar is continuous when you're charging over night, or if there are big gaps. If there are big gaps, then I'd wonder if the cable or the charging port are faulty, since the charging should be continuous. If the charging is faulty, that might be why it's falling to the low 90's in the morning even when it's plugged in overnight.

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

Ah I'm with you. Currently the charging bar is not there, I presume that's why I need to check this first thing after charging?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Right--so charge it overnight tonight, then check it in the morning. If it isn't at 100%, go to Settings>Battery​, tap the graph, and take a screenshot of that fullscreen graph. Then post it here and let's see if we can figure it out.

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok, thank you very much. Could not charging it before first use be an issue? I shall let it drain completely before next charge.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Modern lithium batteries shouldn't be affected by whether or not you charged it fully upon first use. You don't have to worry about "conditioning" the battery. I would avoid letting it drain all the way to zero, because a lithium battery that reaches true zero is irreversibly discharged. Devices don't really let you get to true zero, shutting off automatically before that happens--but it's not a good habit to get into. Let it drop down to maybe 20% or so, then charge it up overnight.

Nihal Rathod

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

Dude, it doesn't matter how old your phone is. All of the android doesn't be same. There can be some or the other problem with some device. Just wipe cache and try if it doesn't works. Please factory restore before that copy your files.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

Sorry, that was in response to performing a factory reset, don't think I was very clear lol

diminisheduk

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

This issue seems to have gone away now. Not sure if it is related to the cache clearance, recent android update or just giving the phone some time to settle.

Thanks very much to you all!

Lee

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463