Should I reflash my Nexus 5?

Telomir

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I was on 4.4.2 until two days ago when I flashed (for the first time, with success.. I think) to 4.4.3. Of course my bootloader was locked so when I unlocked it I lost my data, even with removing the -w flag in the batch file. Anyhow, here is what I had in my platform tools folder before executing the script to flash:

Rl5sOQU.png

Notice that I dont have a system image in the directory. While the command prompt was executing, I noticed that it said "unable to find system.img" yet, when all was said and done, my phone rebooted, and it shows me on 4.4.3 now. I'm assuming it was successful because all the features of my phone work and it shows 4.4.3 like everyone else, but I'm still worried that the initial system img file wasn't in the directory. Should I go ahead and make sure ALL the img files (not just bootloader and radio) are in platform tools folder and re-flash again? Luckily I won't lose everything this time since my bootloader is unlocked and I will simply keep -w removed from the batch file - thoughts?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Never done this before, so I am just guessing: Wouldn't the file need to be unzipped so that you can just flash the disc image file?

And as far as I knew, no matter what you did, unlocking the bootloader wipes your device.

Telomir

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Never done this before, so I am just guessing: Wouldn't the file need to be unzipped so that you can just flash the disc image file?

And as far as I knew, no matter what you did, unlocking the bootloader wipes your device.

Ok, just for peace of mind, I wont use the batch file this time - I'm going to re-flash each image seperately (boot, system, and radio) - I should retain all my new data now since my bootloader is unlocked, right?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, just for peace of mind, I wont use the batch file this time - I'm going to re-flash each image seperately (boot, system, and radio) - I should retain all my new data now since my bootloader is unlocked, right?

I think the flashing wipes your device too, now that I think about it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Did you download the factory image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerheadktu84m or did you download the OTA update from: Android 4.4.3 OTA updates hitting Nexus and GPe devices [Updated] | Android Central

If you downloaded the complete factory image from Google then it should have another folder with the system.img, boot.img, etc.

In my opinion, If you want peace of mind then redownload from the first link provided above and reflash. Since you already wiped everything it won't hurt to do it again unless you've already setup the device to your liking and have contents on the sd card that you won't want to move.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I was on 4.4.2 until two days ago when I flashed (for the first time, with success.. I think) to 4.4.3. Of course my bootloader was locked so when I unlocked it I lost my data, even with removing the -w flag in the batch file. Anyhow, here is what I had in my platform tools folder before executing the script to flash:

http://i.imgur.com/Rl5sOQU.png

Notice that I dont have a system image in the directory. While the command prompt was executing, I noticed that it said "unable to find system.img" yet, when all was said and done, my phone rebooted, and it shows me on 4.4.3 now. I'm assuming it was successful because all the features of my phone work and it shows 4.4.3 like everyone else, but I'm still worried that the initial system img file wasn't in the directory. Should I go ahead and make sure ALL the img files (not just bootloader and radio) are in platform tools folder and re-flash again? Luckily I won't lose everything this time since my bootloader is unlocked and I will simply keep -w removed from the batch file - thoughts?

If you want to use the Flash-All.bat file you must extract everything in the same folder. The main zip contains several files and then another zip which contains lots of images. You need to unzip that second zip so all of the files are in the platform-tools folder.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca