Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I reflash my Nexus 5?

Hello,

I was on 4.4.2 until two days ago when I flashed (for the first time, with success.. I think) to 4.4.3. Of course my bootloader was locked so when I unlocked it I lost my data, even with removing the -w flag in the batch file. Anyhow, here is what I had in my platform tools folder before executing the script to flash:

Notice that I dont have a system image in the directory. While the command prompt was executing, I noticed that it said "unable to find system.img" yet, when all was said and done, my phone rebooted, and it shows me on 4.4.3 now. I'm assuming it was successful because all the features of my phone work and it shows 4.4.3 like everyone else, but I'm still worried that the initial system img file wasn't in the directory. Should I go ahead and make sure ALL the img files (not just bootloader and radio) are in platform tools folder and re-flash again? Luckily I won't lose everything this time since my bootloader is unlocked and I will simply keep -w removed from the batch file - thoughts?
    Last edited by Telomir; 06-04-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fixed link

Global Posts
    21,664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Should I reflash my Nexus 5?

Never done this before, so I am just guessing: Wouldn't the file need to be unzipped so that you can just flash the disc image file?

And as far as I knew, no matter what you did, unlocking the bootloader wipes your device.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Never done this before, so I am just guessing: Wouldn't the file need to be unzipped so that you can just flash the disc image file?

And as far as I knew, no matter what you did, unlocking the bootloader wipes your device.
    Ok, just for peace of mind, I wont use the batch file this time - I'm going to re-flash each image seperately (boot, system, and radio) - I should retain all my new data now since my bootloader is unlocked, right?

Global Posts
    21,664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Telomir View Post
    Ok, just for peace of mind, I wont use the batch file this time - I'm going to re-flash each image seperately (boot, system, and radio) - I should retain all my new data now since my bootloader is unlocked, right?
    I think the flashing wipes your device too, now that I think about it.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    8,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Did you download the factory image from https://developers.google.com/androi...mmerheadktu84m or did you download the OTA update from: Android 4.4.3 OTA updates hitting Nexus and GPe devices [Updated] | Android Central

If you downloaded the complete factory image from Google then it should have another folder with the system.img, boot.img, etc.

In my opinion, If you want peace of mind then redownload from the first link provided above and reflash. Since you already wiped everything it won't hurt to do it again unless you've already setup the device to your liking and have contents on the sd card that you won't want to move.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Complete factory image.
    Last edited by Telomir; 06-04-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Hello,

I was on 4.4.2 until two days ago when I flashed (for the first time, with success.. I think) to 4.4.3. Of course my bootloader was locked so when I unlocked it I lost my data, even with removing the -w flag in the batch file. Anyhow, here is what I had in my platform tools folder before executing the script to flash:

http://i.imgur.com/Rl5sOQU.png

Notice that I dont have a system image in the directory. While the command prompt was executing, I noticed that it said "unable to find system.img" yet, when all was said and done, my phone rebooted, and it shows me on 4.4.3 now. I'm assuming it was successful because all the features of my phone work and it shows 4.4.3 like everyone else, but I'm still worried that the initial system img file wasn't in the directory. Should I go ahead and make sure ALL the img files (not just bootloader and radio) are in platform tools folder and re-flash again? Luckily I won't lose everything this time since my bootloader is unlocked and I will simply keep -w removed from the batch file - thoughts?
    If you want to use the Flash-All.bat file you must extract everything in the same folder. The main zip contains several files and then another zip which contains lots of images. You need to unzip that second zip so all of the files are in the platform-tools folder.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black