Nexus 5 Android 4.4.3 Radio

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, just wondering with Android 4.4.3 do you see an improvement in reception or did it get worse for you on the Nexus 5?

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Seems fine. Don't know if it's better but it's certainly not worse. I'm on AT&T in the DC metro area.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't see anything different with the radio - but then again, I haven't been paying much attention. Are you hoping for an improvement or the opposite?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Same number of bars for me. I think the main reception bugfix was supposed to be for reported LTE data dropout.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Better overall and it doesn't want to move to HSPA when in LTE coverage like it did on 4.4, 4.4.1, and 4.4.2. Cell connection dropouts only happen at my house which has really, really bad coverage from AT&T.

jessesmith8888

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed a difference. At work my office is in the basement with poor LTE signal. With 4.4.3 it's not constantly switching 4g back to 3g and then getting stuck looking for signal. It has constant 4G now. (at&t)

infinitez

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey guy, my nexus 5 can't get H+ after an update E, 3G, H and LTE only..most of time I'm running 3G mode with H+ but now can't get H+ anymore im on D821 model with KOT49H before, any idea?

Posted via Android Central App

aboveavg

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Seems much worse for me on Tmobile. Down from 3 bars LTE to 1 bar at work

Update: and now I am teetering on Edge. WTF?

Update2: Contacted Tmobile and they are doing maintenance in my area so this may be a coincidence.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Of course i would want it to be better, i fell it has been the same for me.
Sorry about that - people are often hesitant to update to the latest OS until they know if the update is better or worse all around. Sometimes a radio update can make the experience worse for Users and they'll update the OS but revert the radio back, which is why I asked.

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry about that - people are often hesitant to update to the latest OS until they know if the update is better or worse all around. Sometimes a radio update can make the experience worse for Users and they'll update the OS but revert the radio back, which is why I asked.
Oh i didn't know that, good to know.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey guy, my nexus 5 can't get H+ after an update E, 3G, H and LTE only..most of time I'm running 3G mode with H+ but now can't get H+ anymore im on D821 model with KOT49H before, any idea?

The indicator will only ever show an H for H+. Not sure what you mean.

infinitez

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The indicator will only ever show an H for H+. Not sure what you mean.

Hi gidgiddonihah,
What i mean is i always run on 3G mode daily because LTE signal at my location is not good and i use to get H+ signal connection, now after an update to 4.4.3 the indicator only show H signal sign and always drop to 3G after an update. they are very different speed between H and H+ here..sorry if dont get what i mean..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What gidgiddonihah (man, that's hard to type!) is saying is that the Nexus 5 only displays an "H," not an "H+" in the notification area. So if I'm on HSPA+, it says "H." Your Nexus 5 actually shows an "H+"?

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure my N5 occasionally showed "H+" and "H" at different times when trying out the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan. Unless the update changed all that...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure my N5 occasionally showed "H+" and "H" at different times when trying out the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan. Unless the update changed all that...

I am on T-Mobile and I've never seen H+ only the H but if you go into the phone status when it says H next to the signal bars under Mobile Network Type it will say HSPA+

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
What gidgiddonihah (man, that's hard to type!) is saying is that the Nexus 5 only displays an "H," not an "H+" in the notification area. So if I'm on HSPA+, it says "H." Your Nexus 5 actually shows an "H+"?

Yeah, I love it though :).

It should never have shown an H+. Android doesn't do this unless you're running a custom ROM that makes the change. Maybe you're going crazy? :D

I am on T-Mobile and I've never seen H+ only the H but if you go into the phone status when it says H next to the signal bars under Mobile Network Type it will say HSPA+

That is how it's supposed to work. If you are on HSPA+ the indicator by the signal bars in the notification tray will show an H. If you are on LTE it will show LTE. If you are connected to a 3G signal it will show a 3G icon. I'm not 100% sure what it does when you are connected to old fashioned HSPA. I don't think U.S. carriers even have towers that have a vanilla HSPA signal. I know I've never been connected to one on AT&T that I know of for the three years I've owned a '4G' smartphone.

williamreccles

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
My signal has been way worse man. My signal is cutting out all of time in places where I used to have great signal(ie work). When my wife's iphone gets better reception that my nexus, you know something is wrong.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Noticed poorer signal since upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 and in same location.

Same here same dam spot, same time of day and I have also noticed the phone is having a hard time holding on to LTE, before the 4.4.3 update I honestly do not ever remember it dropping out now it drops down to H and at least 5 times today I looked and there was no data connection icon of any type no H no LTE just signal bars, this really sucks !