Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 Android 4.4.3 Radio

Hey guys, just wondering with Android 4.4.3 do you see an improvement in reception or did it get worse for you on the Nexus 5?

Default Re: Nexus 5 Android 4.4.3 Radio

Seems fine. Don't know if it's better but it's certainly not worse. I'm on AT&T in the DC metro area.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    9,464 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I don't see anything different with the radio - but then again, I haven't been paying much attention. Are you hoping for an improvement or the opposite?

Same number of bars for me. I think the main reception bugfix was supposed to be for reported LTE data dropout.

Better overall and it doesn't want to move to HSPA when in LTE coverage like it did on 4.4, 4.4.1, and 4.4.2. Cell connection dropouts only happen at my house which has really, really bad coverage from AT&T.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I don't see anything different with the radio - but then again, I haven't been paying much attention. Are you hoping for an improvement or the opposite?
    Of course i would want it to be better, i fell it has been the same for me.

I have noticed a difference. At work my office is in the basement with poor LTE signal. With 4.4.3 it's not constantly switching 4g back to 3g and then getting stuck looking for signal. It has constant 4G now. (at&t)

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Hey guy, my nexus 5 can't get H+ after an update E, 3G, H and LTE only..most of time I'm running 3G mode with H+ but now can't get H+ anymore im on D821 model with KOT49H before, any idea?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Seems much worse for me on Tmobile. Down from 3 bars LTE to 1 bar at work

Update: and now I am teetering on Edge. WTF?

Update2: Contacted Tmobile and they are doing maintenance in my area so this may be a coincidence.

Global Posts
    9,464 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by win465 View Post
    Of course i would want it to be better, i fell it has been the same for me.
    Sorry about that - people are often hesitant to update to the latest OS until they know if the update is better or worse all around. Sometimes a radio update can make the experience worse for Users and they'll update the OS but revert the radio back, which is why I asked.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Sorry about that - people are often hesitant to update to the latest OS until they know if the update is better or worse all around. Sometimes a radio update can make the experience worse for Users and they'll update the OS but revert the radio back, which is why I asked.
    Oh i didn't know that, good to know.
    srkmagnus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitez View Post
    Hey guy, my nexus 5 can't get H+ after an update E, 3G, H and LTE only..most of time I'm running 3G mode with H+ but now can't get H+ anymore im on D821 model with KOT49H before, any idea?

The indicator will only ever show an H for H+. Not sure what you mean.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    The indicator will only ever show an H for H+. Not sure what you mean.

Hi gidgiddonihah,
    What i mean is i always run on 3G mode daily because LTE signal at my location is not good and i use to get H+ signal connection, now after an update to 4.4.3 the indicator only show H signal sign and always drop to 3G after an update. they are very different speed between H and H+ here..sorry if dont get what i mean..

What gidgiddonihah (man, that's hard to type!) is saying is that the Nexus 5 only displays an "H," not an "H+" in the notification area. So if I'm on HSPA+, it says "H." Your Nexus 5 actually shows an "H+"?
    Axe

ROM
    Reborn ROM, CM9 Touchpad

I'm pretty sure my N5 occasionally showed "H+" and "H" at different times when trying out the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan. Unless the update changed all that...

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I'm pretty sure my N5 occasionally showed "H+" and "H" at different times when trying out the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan. Unless the update changed all that...
    I am on T-Mobile and I've never seen H+ only the H but if you go into the phone status when it says H next to the signal bars under Mobile Network Type it will say HSPA+
    Nexus 6, 64 GB Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    What gidgiddonihah (man, that's hard to type!) is saying is that the Nexus 5 only displays an "H," not an "H+" in the notification area. So if I'm on HSPA+, it says "H." Your Nexus 5 actually shows an "H+"?
    Yeah, I love it though .

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    It should never have shown an H+. Android doesn't do this unless you're running a custom ROM that makes the change. Maybe you're going crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie317 View Post
    I am on T-Mobile and I've never seen H+ only the H but if you go into the phone status when it says H next to the signal bars under Mobile Network Type it will say HSPA+
    That is how it's supposed to work. If you are on HSPA+ the indicator by the signal bars in the notification tray will show an H. If you are on LTE it will show LTE. If you are connected to a 3G signal it will show a 3G icon. I'm not 100% sure what it does when you are connected to old fashioned HSPA. I don't think U.S. carriers even have towers that have a vanilla HSPA signal. I know I've never been connected to one on AT&T that I know of for the three years I've owned a '4G' smartphone.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    B. Diddy likes this.

Noticed poorer signal since upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 and in same location.

My signal has been way worse man. My signal is cutting out all of time in places where I used to have great signal(ie work). When my wife's iphone gets better reception that my nexus, you know something is wrong.

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by truck5067 View Post
    Noticed poorer signal since upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 and in same location.
    Same here same dam spot, same time of day and I have also noticed the phone is having a hard time holding on to LTE, before the 4.4.3 update I honestly do not ever remember it dropping out now it drops down to H and at least 5 times today I looked and there was no data connection icon of any type no H no LTE just signal bars, this really sucks !

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

i'm in dc with the update, b41 & b26 can't keep their hands off me..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o...it?usp=sharing

that's the elusive band 41, that i only got in my bedroom at home one morning at 4am, about 16mb dl.. (i had enabled the extra bands already with my MSL) - Sprint Tri-band activation help? - Pg. 15 | Google Nexus 5 | xda-developers & thought i was smooth sailing..

come to find out after the 4.4.3 official update, b41 was EVERYWHERE like ghosts.. i took those speed tests walking up 14 street by the tivoli..

My signal is the same as before on both 3G and LTE. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

Mine seems to have gotten worse

Not getting any service in spots service was great and more dropped calls on areas I never had issues in. Also had some Tasker tasks that used cell towers and service to turn on/off Wi-Fi. Worked 100% on 4.4.2 and after the update it works maybe 33% of the time.

~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)

Worse. No LTE , no signal bars at all unless I use 1x

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts

Since the update LTE on at&t has been strange, at my house I had two bars, (approximately - 106dBms) before 4.4.3 and it is exactly the same post 4.4.3.

At an intersection in town where LTE was weak (approximately
    -109dBms) my Nexus 5 is dropping down to HSPA+, but not reverting to LTE once I drive about midway to the next intersection where an at&t cell site is located with LTE.

Not exactly sure what it going, when I was in San Francisco my LTE was all over the place, but I am not familiar with at&t LTE coverage in San Francisco to know if things are different since 4.4.3.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast