Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4.4.3 with ART runtime?

Has anyone gotten the update or used the update with ART yet? Just wondering if there are any issues and if I should switch back before the update.

Thanks.

Default Re: 4.4.3 with ART runtime?

No problems for me!

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,381 Global Posts

Mine was set to ART before the update, and still is after the update (first thing I checked). Works fine so far.... although I haven't used the phone for more than a moment so far.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks to both of you.

ART is working great for me!
    ~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)

Weird. Mine reverted back to dalvik after the update. Going to switch back to art now.

Posted via Android Central App

I sideloaded the OTA while on ART with no issues. It remained the same after the update.
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina

Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post
    Weird. Mine reverted back to dalvik after the update. Going to switch back to art now.

Mine reverted as well. It depends on how you update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post

Did you do the OTA or flash the factory image?

~Keith

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post

Agreed, I flashed the factory image so it reverted back, because dalvik is still the system default.

~Keith

Global Posts
    2,381 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    I was OTA update. It didn't revert back to Dalvick.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Funny you should ask that because I'm asking if the update uses ART by default, when I was updating to 4.4.3 I noticed the last thing it did was convert my app's to ART... I've always left Android on Dalvik due to ART not ready for Android to officially use as default rt, but since it choose ART for me I figured that either it was ready for use *& could be the reason to the battery enduring 50% longer* our that all my apps are runtime capable? Idk, what I do want to know is if anyone else has had their runtime changed by Android.

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

I haven't exowri need any issues and ever since Line got updated to work under ART the device is switched over and working fine.

I posted a comment about how my N5 turned everything to ART on its own, but it was backwards I forgot that I was using ART before the 4.3 update & it turned everything back to Dalvik *thinking it was turning ART@ the time* but I just looked at my settings & it's using Dalvik... I wanted to know if you have already tried to use art? Because I've been trying & all I get is my phone restarting with Dalvik still running. I'm rooted twrp recovery with super SU for root access. I'd use to be able to switch to art without a problem but now I can't is this isolated or do you or anyone else have this problem, our better yet a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by kd0h View Post
    Did you do the OTA or flash the factory image?

OTA

I tried ART and had a couple minor issues. I'm sticking with Dalvik for now. The speed difference isn't game changing.

I personally don't understand the hype of ART. I find when running on ART, my device is a bit buggier. And sometimes, apps take a long time to open. It'll be highlighted, but the app won't actually launch for a few seconds. It just hangs there.

Am I the only one experiencing this under ART? I've never noticed it under Davlik.

Global Posts
    2,381 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
    I personally don't understand the hype of ART. I find when running on ART, my device is a bit buggier. And sometimes, apps take a long time to open. It'll be highlighted, but the app won't actually launch for a few seconds. It just hangs there.

Am I the only one experiencing this under ART? I've never noticed it under Davlik.
    I have not had that experience.

But I do agree that using ART is not much of a big whoop. The phone does seem a tiny bit faster and it did seem to add some to the idle/standby battery time. But I also have not found any app that doesn't work or bugs I could attribute to using ART.

The only app that refuses to work is MLB At Bat. It crashes anytime I try to load a baseball game. What's odd is it plays replays and whatnot but can't play a game. Other than that I haven't run across any real bugs. The minor speed boost feels like it finally makes Android totally smooth. Even things like the multitasking button is much quicker.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Thor20003 View Post
    Has anyone gotten the update or used the update with ART yet? Just wondering if there are any issues and if I should switch back before the update. .
    No problems here. I installed it with ART active and it retained ART after the install. The only side effect is that the update will take longer with ART, because of the way ART works.

Just started running ART myself using CyanogenMod. Will have more to add tomorrow, but currently seems to be ba bit faster than Dalvik. Not sure how that can be as this appears to be cache related, but what do I know. Time will tell.

All my apps seem to run just fine though, time will tell.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - SGH-I747M