Google+ Locations

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I both switched to Nexus 4's when they were first released and I switched to a Nexus 5 immediately upon its' release.

I use Google+ Locations to keep track of my wife's whereabouts. No - it's not what you think! - she works some distance from home and traffic is somewhat variable, so I have used Google+ Locations to get a fair idea of her commuting progress and know when to expect her for dinner.

Since the beginning with the Nexus 4, Location reporting seemed sporadic; sometimes I could get a location which was 1 minute old, other times no matter how often I tried refreshing the last location would be 10, 20, even 45 minutes old. In other words, useless.

A few months ago things improved markedly. Suddenly, her location was never more than several minutes old and I could force a refresh on demand bringing the location up to date within 1 minute.

Well, the latest Google+ update seems to have undone the good that was in the previous version. Right now for example, her location info is 41 minutes old and no amount of refreshing will fix it. So, once again, useless.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? We are both setup for "Pinpoint Location" sharing with each other.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Try uninstalling the App on both phones then re-installing it. See if that helps fix this issue that has come-up since the latest update you accepted.

If you've already found a fix let us know, we'd like to hear it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No fix yet.

I just received a Google+ update today; my wife's phone may or may not have picked this up as well. At the moment, my Nexus 5 shows my own location as of "Just now" and my wife's Nexus 4 location as of 39 minutes ago and will not refresh beyond that.

As for uninstalling/reinstalling, Google+ cannot be uninstalled; I am only permitted to "Uninstall updates". I can try doing that on both phones later this evening.

FWIW, with both phones sitting on the kitchen table a few nights ago, if I opened Google+ on my Nexus 5 it showed as above - my loaction as of "Just now" and my wife's as of some time ago. No amount of refreshing would improve the timestamp. OTOH, if I opened Google+ on my wife's Nexus 4 I saw the reverse; her location as of "Just now" and my location was an hour old.

Also, as an aside, I installed the Android Device Manager app (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.google.android.apps.adm&token=jFhNkFMF) on my Nexus 5. If I login as my wife (using the "Guest" account) and tell it to find my phone, it does so quickly and accurately (where the phone is now, not where it was an hour ago).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance