Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Better standby battery use so far on 4.4.3

It seems that 4.4.3 has improved battery usage while on standby. This morning, I noticed that it had gone down by only 2% while being mostly idle for about 2.5-3 hrs. Before 4.4.3, it would've gone down by maybe 4-5% in that time. Anyone else notice an improvement?
    srkmagnus and AlfBriggs like this.

Default Re: Better standby battery use so far on 4.4.3

I haven't noticed any difference at all. Maybe you had a wake lock before?

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nope. I'm pretty familiar with my phone's behavior and usual battery usage. It's still early on, so maybe it was just a fluke. But I do recall Google talking about how 4.4.3 was supposed to improve standby battery life, so we'll see.

I think its slightly improved. I drop 5 percent an hour on standby after the update. Its really annoying. I keep reading people on here saying they are getting great battery life on their nexus 5... Wish I could say the same. I've cleared the cache partition several times with no improvement. I was hoping not to factory reset but that seems to be the only option left. I'm tired of carrying a phone charger with me at all times...

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I assume you've already been through the whole rigmarole of battery saving tips. Are all of your Google apps updated? There was a recent Hangouts update that was supposed to address some battery draining behavior.
    Axe

ROM
    Reborn ROM, CM9 Touchpad

My standby % dropped significantly, and seems related battery if the radio had some issue in aggressively seeking out stronger signals. However, I seem to more frequently fall back to a full blast 3G. On Sprint, that's less performance than the GSM guys, though.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I assume you've already been through the whole rigmarole of battery saving tips. Are all of your Google apps updated? There was a recent Hangouts update that was supposed to address some battery draining behavior.
    There are a few things here I haven't tried. Thanks

Wake lock detector is saying the device needs to be rooted... Can you recommend an app that does not have to be rooted?

Yep; noticed the same thing. Play Services isn't running as aggressively in the background as before and hopefully it stays like that. Maybe the new Hangouts update is helping with battery life too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post
    Wake lock detector is saying the device needs to be rooted... Can you recommend an app that does not have to be rooted?

KitKat blocks the ability to read wakelocks, so you would need to be rooted no matter what app you used.

After following your suggestions I am at 85 percent battery after 3 hours off the charger. I surfed the web for 10 minutes, checked a few emails and send 5 texts. Does that seem normal to be down 15 percent in 3 hours on minimal use? Or do you think I should give factory reset a try?

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Can you post screenshots of your battery stats?

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

Quote Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
    Yep; noticed the same thing. Play Services isn't running as aggressively in the background as before and hopefully it stays like that. Maybe the new Hangouts update is helping with battery life too.
    When Google talks about battery improvements, 9 times out of 10 they are referring to Google Play Services, and the network location service wakelocks, in particular. Those NLP wakelocks often comprise the main source of your phone coming out of deep sleep..... Now keep in mind that this behavior is by no means a bug or anything... all those cool location aware things that Google Now does in the background need context. So we NEED those wakelocks for the most part to function. But those wakelocks still need some tweaking.

I know that over the past, what, 8 months, they've made HUGE improvements in the NLP wakelocks. They are still keeping my phone awake for much too long, but the overall impact on the battery has been greatly reduced.... so that's better than nothing. I still wish they would open up the function and allow users to configure the network location services. Let us specific how often we want to poll our location (it's crazy how often that thing fires sometimes).... if we connect to a wifi hotspot, stop polling until we disconnect.... stuff like that would do wonders for background battery load.
    gidgiddonihah likes this.

Can you post screenshots of your battery stats?

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Better standby battery use so far on 4.4.3-53066.jpg   Better standby battery use so far on 4.4.3-53067.jpg  
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Tap the Screen listing--what's your screen-on time? My average total screen-on time for a full charge remains about 3 hours. I doubt 4.4.3 improved that--only the standby time.

Tap the Screen listing--what's your screen-on time? My average total screen-on time for a full charge remains about 3 hours. I doubt 4.4.3 improved that--only the standby time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Better standby battery use so far on 4.4.3-53068.jpg  
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Ok, those stats are still hard to interpret, because I just noticed that you'd been charging for some period of time. Let it run down normally for a while, then show us the same screenshots again (before plugging the charger in).

I've noticed standby time is a lot better. I've been off the charger for 1day 2hrs 30mins and I have 2hrs 16mins of SoT. With about 30% remaining on the battery. I would get better time, but being at work I get 2 bars, and the signal meter is always yellow.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Here's after about 4 hours off the charger. This is average use for me... Just trying to gage if this is normal behavior. I keep reading about people going over 24 hours on a single charge. I'm lucky to make it 8-10.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Better standby battery use so far on 4.4.3-55260.jpg   Better standby battery use so far on 4.4.3-55261.jpg   Better standby battery use so far on 4.4.3-55262.jpg  
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

That isn't great--you're on track for about 2.5 hours of screen on time, which is below average. When you were watching YouTube, were you using headphones, or was it playing over the speaker loudly? If the latter, that might have used a decent amount of juice. The other thing I notice is the alarm clock is set--I recall issues on my old Razr Maxx with very frequent wakelocks when an alarm was set. It might be worth seeing how the battery is without the alarm clock set.

That isn't great--you're on track for about 2.5 hours of screen on time, which is below average. When you were watching YouTube, were you using headphones, or was it playing over the speaker loudly? If the latter, that might have used a decent amount of juice. The other thing I notice is the alarm clock is set--I recall issues on my old Razr Maxx with very frequent wakelocks when an alarm was set. It might be worth seeing how the battery is without the alarm clock set.
    No headphones while on YouTube and yes the volume was almost maxed. I guess I'll try turning the alarm off but I'm the type that would forget to set it every night... Do you think a factory reset would do any good? Appreciate the help as always B diddy.

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Factory reset never hurts, but it's just a hassle to reinstall everything and get it all set up again.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Well, looks like mine is whacked. I am back to losing 25% of the battery in 9 hours of standby with ZERO screen "on" time (instead of 3 to 5%). It reports 56% "Android OS", 15% "Google Services", and other 30% in various little stuff. I am going to try clearing the cache partition now
    Gah. Try rebooting first? That's usually what I do first if I see the OS or System working overtime.
    Too late, I already cleared the cache moments after the posting (and it really takes much, MUCH longer on the Nexus 5 than it does on the Nexus 10). I won't know if it is "normal" again until Monday after work. Normally when it gets into the "eat battery" mode, I reboot... which is only maybe once every three weeks or so.

I am disappointed that after a boot of the newly installed 4.4.3, it did the battery drain stuff. I had hoped that issue would go away for good with the update, but I guess not.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

I too thought the standby time was a bit better but without this thread I would have dismissed it as update bias.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

So I'm over 2 and a half hours on standby... I turned off the alarm and I am very pleased with the results.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Better standby battery use so far on 4.4.3-55266.jpg  
    Last edited by ianhanson85; 06-07-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    B. Diddy likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast