Battery drain issue after 4.4.3

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
My battery was perfect before the 4.4.3 update on my Nexus 5. I could get a day out of a full charge. Now its a mess. The battery drains so fast now. I cleared the cash and did the "wipe cache partition" on the recover mode screen. And its just sucking the life out of my phone. Its gone done 3% just typing this. Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you show us some screenshots of your battery stats? Wait until the battery has gone down to about 20-30%, then take screenshots of the main Battery screen, the full batttery graph (after tapping the smaller battery graph), the Screen category (so we can see your Screen On time), and the Cell Standby category (so we can see the Time Without Signal).

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I also have worse battery life. When I look at my battery stats, is is the same as before the 4.4.3 update. Not sure what is going on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rob.ert

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Yup, same here. Took the phone off the charger when I woke up at 6. It's 3 PM now and my battery is down to 41%
And i've used it less than I usually do (only 1h 15min screen time, no calls)

LE: down to 36% since I originally wrote this message. That's 5% in 15 minutes. Never did I have such drain before. The screen item in the battery stats jumped from 40% to 44% power usgae. Brightness is at about 30%. There's definitely something going on here...

Last edited:

Jeffrey Flynt

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Count me in on this one! The first day after the update my battery drained in 3 hours and the phone was really hot! Amazon Kindle was the main draw so uninstalled it. Today it has gone about ten hours with very little usage. It was getting 12 hours easily before the update with juice to spare. Android system is now using 25% of the charge, Android OS 18%, Google Services 9%. I thought this update was supposed to improve the battery. I haven't gotten the update on my Nexus 7 (2013) yet and am thinking I should avoid it.

Jeffrey Flynt

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
One other thing I noticed is that the wifi indicator is going out then the signal graph indicates LTE comes on then the wifi comes back on. Is this normal for the wifi to go on and off repeatedly like this? It never did it before. I thought it might be some battery sparing technique, but I am thinking it is kind of weird. My wifi signal is very strong in my house.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It is entirely possible that you guys have an app (probably different apps) which is not compatible with 4.4.3. Check the play store comments for your most-likely-to-have-issues apps: games, custom keyboards, "battery saving" apps, etc.

FatTiger

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Yup I'm also having an big issue with this. I got my Nexus 5 exactly one week ago and was getting a full day with decent use throughout. Now just keeping it on for a bit drains a few percent and I'm already down to %60 today and this was after the update. I went through all the settings and disabled location stuff, auto-sync, etc. and it's still the same. I went to the battery use and the systemui and keyboard were using a ton of the battery so I tried using swiftkey to see if there was a difference and there wasn't. I have battery doctor installed so I checked through that and that's telling me the system ui, avast security and both keyboard are consuming a lot. This was all after the update so is there anything I can do to fix this? Not sure of any other settings I could possibly change or any apps I should change or fix.

Marcu Buse

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Same battery drain issue here after installing 4.4.3. Amazon Kindle sucked some 20% in literally minutes worth of reading, right now, which prompted me to google the issue up.
The day I installed the update I had to kill Skype for draining the battery in a hurry.

Is there a way to restore 4.4.2?
Nexus 5 16GB

Jeffrey Flynt

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The Kindle app drained my battery to 4% in three hours. I uninstalled it. I think it is trying to resync the library. In my case I have hundreds of books, and I don't read them on the phone. My tablet hasn't received the update yet, and I do read on that. So I am torn between installing the update (if it ever shows up!) or not.

pravishetty

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Guys, its true after the 4.4.3 update on nexus 5, the battery drains out dramatically, battery usage shows over 50% getting consumed by Andriod OS , 15% getting consumed by Andriod System, now we have no way out & have to recharge for at least 2 times in a day were as earlier we used to charge once in 2 days..can someone plz help fix this..?

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is the risk we take in return for being on the bleeding edge for OS updates. With each update there will always be a few apps which don't play nice until the developer figures out 1) that his app is misbehaving and 2) how to fix it.

While I can't say with certainty that that is the problem here, the simple fact that it affects (apparently) a relatively small subset of all devices which have received the update thus far tends to point the finger at one or more bad apps.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Android system is now using 25% of the charge, Android OS 18%, Google Services 9%. I thought this update was supposed to improve the battery.

Those numbers are not percent of the charge, but percent of the depletion. (You might already know that, but people are always perpetually confused by it, so I will always point that out).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i suffer no hardships doing this -

1. Sign out of the Google+ App and Auto Upload.
2. Disable Location Reporting, Location Sharing.
3. Disable Hot Keyword.
4. Turn Down Brightness.
5. Set Display Off 2 Mins or Less.
6. Turn Off Google Now.
7. Beware of constantly syncing Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, News, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more.

Jeffrey Flynt

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Those numbers are not percent of the charge, but percent of the depletion. (You might already know that, but people are always perpetually confused by it, so I will always point that out).

Thanks crxssi. That is indeed what I meant. In the future I will state that correctly. Thanks again!

But I have a happy, amazing update... I am now two hours beyond the point yesterday when my phone shut itself off due to low battery. So, while I haven't used the phone much at all today, it is at about 9.5 hours and battery at 67%. What a difference one day makes. Maybe the phone was doing something in the background to suck the battery dry or maybe this is just a fluke. We'll see how it does tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Marcu Buse

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I uninstalled Kindle, will see how it works today.

Couple of details: while battery got killed yesterday while reading on Kindle for 10-15 min yesterday, battery usage was not even showing Kindle among the big hitters. It was Android system and OS.

I also have a Nexus 7 tablet, updated to 4.4.3, didn't notice any change in behavior there.

Will check wife's phone, also a Nexus 5.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
No issues here. I do have Kindle installed and Nova Launcher with hotword active. Do not use any Google+ stuff.

Battery for me seems about the same as before.

Marcu Buse

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
My issue occurred on _using_ Kindle, which was last night. Prior to that it looked fine yesterday.

Which, to think of it, makes uninstalling unnecessary, I guess, as long as I'm not using it.

Posted via Android Central App

Viktor Hanssen

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
indeed the new 4.4.3 is a mess, i can't even use my Nexus 5. after the update my phone is always hot, such a feeling that some apps are working permanently. i am very disappointed with it. Google team screw up with the update. FIX IT

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01