Nexus 5 gets hot fast

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed over the last week or so that my N5 gets hot when I browse the web for a few seconds. It gets insanely hot when I try to use navigation as well. I've never had a phone get this hot, this often. It seems like the simplest task makes the device very warm. Any ideas??

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's the app that's causing that to happen. It's likely due to some other processes running in the background that are "ramping up" the CPU and causing it to get hot. If you go to battery stats does it show any other processes running?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does the behavior persist after a reboot?

And does that screenshot represent a period of time where the phone heated up a lot?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Here is my stats..

I'd also suggest download GSam battery monitor, as it will give you a more complete view of running processes and even tells you the exact temperature of the battery.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
The behavior persist after I turn it off for a while then turn it back on. The results were when the phone was very warm. It kind of sucks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I see that your signal is not very good. It might be working overtime to try to get a data signal when you're browsing. Also, do you have GPS on? That might also contribute to increased CPU/battery usage--try changing it to Battery Saving mode.

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
For some reason when my phone is on wifi, the signal drops from 4 bars to zero or 1 bar. I have GPS on but I've always had it on and its never been an issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's weird. Wi-Fi shouldn't interfere with cell reception. Seems like there's some odd hardware issue going on.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Is your phone plugged in to a car charger?

I noticed my phone gets really hot if I have the screen on and charging in the car (where I spend my lunch breaks).

I'm thinking my charger may not be powerful enough to charge the phone while it's in use.

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Nope its not plugged into a car charger. It happens when the phone isn't plugged in and I use it. Its not a big deal but I was curious if anyone else experienced this.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That's weird. Wi-Fi shouldn't interfere with cell reception. Seems like there's some odd hardware issue going on.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

My phone is on the AT&T network. There are at least 5 towers within range of my home and my phone often switches among them (see http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/332728-aio-t-tower-selection-algorithm.html).

Anyway, what I have also noticed is this: when your phone has a Wi-Fi connection, it disables data on the cellular connection and this will effectively cause either a change in the tower you are connected to or a change in the specific transmit/receive connection. When you disable Wi-Fi, the process is reversed because you now require a cellular data connection.

In simple terms, with Wi-Fi disabled, you probably see the LTE, H or E cellular icon, but as soon as you enable Wi-Fi the 4G, H or E disappears.

jball32

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Flash a different kernel like say "Franco kernel". you might be surprised of the outcome it can have with temp control

Nexus 5 via Android Central App