Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question Nexus 5 AC wireless

    I received my brand new Asus RT-AC68W (or U) today, and have a question regarding the AC wireless.

    Is there something i need to do to connect my Nexus 5 to the router via AC, or is it automatic?
    and if so, is there a way i can verify the AC connection.

    Thanks!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 AC wireless

    Is there a way to set the router to broadcast by AC only, rather than some combination of AC, N, G, and/or B? That's a surefire way of making sure your Nexus 5 can connect. If your router is broadcasting using a mixture of AC and other protocols, it may impact the maximum transmission speed anyway, so you wouldn't be getting the full AC speed (at least, that's how it works with mixed B/G/N--I'm afraid I don't have an AC-capable router to test this out on).
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 AC wireless

    I have an RT-AC68U, a N5, and a IPad Mini Retina. I have the same SSID configured for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz allowing the devices to "auto-roam" as they see fit around my house. The iPad mostly connects on the 5GHz band but sometimes drops back to the 2.4GHz band. I have never seen the N5 connect to the 5GHz band
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 AC wireless

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    I have an RT-AC68U, a N5, and a IPad Mini Retina. I have the same SSID configured for both 2.4GHz (802.11b) and 5GHz (802.11ac) allowing the devices to "auto-roam" as they see fit around my house. The iPad mostly connects on the 11ac band but sometimes drops back to the 11g band. I have never seen the N5 connect to 11ac
    Pretty sure no iPad as of yet has an AC chip. The only Apple device that does is the MacBook Air.

    Congrats on the awesome router and outstanding phone . I don't know how to configure the 68W/U but it has the ability to broadcast on pretty much everything simultaneously.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 AC wireless

    Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    Pretty sure no iPad as of yet has an AC chip.
    Yes you are right sorry. Corrected my post to remove 802.11*.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 AC wireless

    Give the SSID a different name for the network running on AC, the Nexus 5 will see that, connect to it instead.

    I'll be honest, I was disappointed with the signal strength. I got a much higher speed, but the signal was actually less than connecting to the Asus with N. Not sure it was worth all the extra money to be as all I've gained is 1 more bar on the signal and speed (which isn't really noticeable in day to day use when I use N.

    Download Kevin Yuan's Wifi Analyser app from the Play Store. You'll be able to see how strong your signal is on AC and N in different parts of your house / location of wireless. It even goes "ping" as you move around if that's your kinda thing
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 AC wireless

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt74uk View Post
    Give the SSID a different name for the network running on AC, the Nexus 5 will see that, connect to it instead.

    I'll be honest, I was disappointed with the signal strength. I got a much higher speed, but the signal was actually less than connecting to the Asus with N. Not sure it was worth all the extra money to be as all I've gained is 1 more bar on the signal and speed (which isn't really noticeable in day to day use when I use N.

    Download Kevin Yuan's Wifi Analyser app from the Play Store. You'll be able to see how strong your signal is on AC and N in different parts of your house / location of wireless. It even goes "ping" as you move around if that's your kinda thing

    I'm not sure how to specify what band it should use. It just gives me the option of a 2.4 or 5GHz. I made both networks with the same said and password and now my nexus o ly shows one network. Not sure if its AC though? I'm not thinking it is because the signal strength isn't any better.

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus 4 just went crazy!!
    By tpd15 in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-19-2014, 07:09 AM
  2. Nexus 5 not receiving calls/texts on LTE
    By flyer8493 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-17-2014, 07:33 AM
  3. Who Uses "Polaris Office (for Android)" on their Nexus ?
    By gerryp123 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2014, 05:07 PM
  4. Export wireless settings to a file?
    By nyrangers1994 in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Posting Permissions