Problem with WhatsApp Notification

shikhar10882

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Since installation of WhatsApp on my (recently purchased) Nexus 5, when vibration setting is set to "default" in application, the phone does not vibrate on receipt of a new WhatsApp message, even while system settings are set to "Vibrate when Ringing".
It vibrates though when the WhatsApp vibration settings are set to 'Short' or 'Long'

So basically, the "default" mode in vibration settings of WhatsApp is not ruled by the system settings, rather follows the rule - Vibrate when the phone is set on silent, and do not vibrate when ringing is enabled.

Is this how it is supposed to work? Because as per my read around I got an impression that default mode is to govern the app notification as per system setting. Am I missing something?

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Since installation of WhatsApp on my (recently purchased) Nexus 5, when vibration setting is set to "default" in application, the phone does not vibrate on receipt of a new WhatsApp message, even while system settings are set to "Vibrate when Ringing".
It vibrates though when the WhatsApp vibration settings are set to 'Short' or 'Long'

So basically, the "default" mode in vibration settings of WhatsApp is not ruled by the system settings, rather follows the rule - Vibrate when the phone is set on silent, and do not vibrate when ringing is enabled.

Is this how it is supposed to work? Because as per my read around I got an impression that default mode is to govern the app notification as per system setting. Am I missing something?

Yes, this is the way it is supposed to work, usually I don't take a look at that much tiny perspective but after you have mentioned it over here I tried looking at it and what I found is the same is happening with my device too... so I would say I think this is the way it's supposed to work

shikhar10882

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes, this is the way it is supposed to work,..... same is happening with my device too... so I would say I think this is the way it's supposed to work

Thanks a ton!!!
Discussing this elsewhere (read post #785 to #789 in the thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/330913-nexus-5-problems-issues-32.html#post3703688), I came across a possible reason for the same.
This reason goes like this (post #788):
I tried this recently, so I think this is correct: On the Nexus 5, there is no default vibrate setting for notifications--only for ringtones for incoming calls. Maybe other phones have a default vibrate setting for notifications, and that's what WhatsApp is looking for--but since the N5 doesn't have a default, the default that WhatsApp falls back on is no vibration When you select Short or Long, that's when the notification vibration becomes active.
Thanks alot for the support and confirmation though!!!