Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,418 Global Posts

Default T-Mobile Emergency Calls Only

So tonight I tried to use my N5 at a restaurant and had apparently no cell signal- it was a hollow triangle outline that looked different from anything I had seen. They had WiFi so I used that to check the weather.

When I got home, I looked again- a hollow triangle still. I turned off wifi and still nothing. Went into quick settings and it said "Emergency Calls Only" on the button that would normally say "T-Mobile". Pressed the button and it did nothing. So I rebooted the phone and now it is back to normal, showing the signal bars and LTE.

Have never seen this happen before and have no idea what was going on but thought I would share.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Default Re: T-Mobile Emergency Calls Only

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    So tonight I tried to use my N5 at a restaurant and had apparently no cell signal- it was a hollow triangle outline that looked different from anything I had seen. They had WiFi so I used that to check the weather.

When I got home, I looked again- a hollow triangle still. I turned off wifi and still nothing. Went into quick settings and it said "Emergency Calls Only" on the button that would normally say "T-Mobile". Pressed the button and it did nothing. So I rebooted the phone and now it is back to normal, showing the signal bars and LTE.

Have never seen this happen before and have no idea what was going on but thought I would share.
    I've had that happen when I had no signal, so you aren't the only one! I didn't have to reboot though, it just changed back once I had signal.

Posted via Android Central App
    ~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    2,418 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kd0h View Post
    I've had that happen when I had no signal, so you aren't the only one! I didn't have to reboot though, it just changed back once I had signal.
    I have always had a signal at that restaurant in the past. And I certainly have a signal at home. It was very, very odd. At least I now know what a hollow triangle means (it means the cell radio is (inappropriate language edited by Moderator) up and you need to reboot) so I can deal with it next time.

Here is a drawing of what it looked like (it does NOT look like zero signal, which would show four faint background bars with no bright bars):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile Emergency Calls Only-triangle.png  
    Last edited by dpham00; 06-12-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

ROM
    CM7 or a stock sense rom

Bad sim card?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    2,418 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyer8493 View Post
    Bad sim card?
    It was new with the phone (not some old one I reused). Such sealed chips usually work or don't work (without anything inbetween) I suppose it is possible the contacts are poor or something, though.

Could have been a temporary outage and the reboot allowed it to reconnect to the tower. I was having signal issues last night also. In Pittsburgh btw.

Sounds like a network outage where you phone didn't reconnect afterwards.

That triangle is 0 bars. I see that on occasion when I switch between 3G and 4G (I turn 4G off when I don't need it to save battery).
    Nexus 5 on Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I have always had a signal at that restaurant in the past. And I certainly have a signal at home. It was very, very odd. At least I now know what a hollow triangle means (it means the cell radio is (inappropriate language edited by Moderator) up and you need to reboot) so I can deal with it next time.

Here is a drawing of what it looked like (it does NOT look like zero signal, which would show four faint background bars with no bright bars):
    I thought that meant it has zero signal...I thought the 4 faint bars meant low signal. I probably get the empty triangle a few 5 to 10 times a week.

~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    2,418 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kd0h View Post
    I thought that meant it has zero signal...I thought the 4 faint bars meant low signal. I probably get the empty triangle a few 5 to 10 times a week.
    Well, I suppose it could be. I haven't seen it before, and I don't travel much, and I haven't had the N5 all that long.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    2,418 Global Posts

See also parts of this thread: Nexus 5 KitKat 4.4.3 upgrade causing new issues/bugs

And this post particularly:

"I have been having this problem very frequently since the update." Nexus 5 KitKat 4.4.3 upgrade causing new issues/bugs

My phone keeps doing this. I'll have full bars but no LTE, 3g, or 2g. Anyone else have this?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile Emergency Calls Only-screenshot_2014-06-12-08-40-11.jpg   T-Mobile Emergency Calls Only-screenshot_2014-06-12-08-40-04.jpg