Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Play Services Draining Battery

Hi. My nexus 5 is on Android 4.4.3. Today, Google play services is draining my battery and I only have 45 mins of screen time. What's the problem and how should I fix it?

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google Play Services Draining Battery-87413.jpg   Google Play Services Draining Battery-87414.jpg   Google Play Services Draining Battery-87415.jpg   Google Play Services Draining Battery-87416.jpg  

Default Re: Google Play Services Draining Battery

Welcome to Android Central! It's a little hard to interpret that 47 min of screen-on time, because that wasn't starting from a full charge.

I'm never quite sure why Google Play Services freaks out from time to time. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with upcoming updates to Google Play Services--it's probably my imagination, but when this happens to me, it always seems that an update comes through within the next couple of days.

A reboot usually clears the issue up, in any case. Has that worked for you?

I had that happen once. Battery discharged from 87% to 67% overnight (normally lose about 4% overnight), in my case due to Android OS if I remember right. Couldn't work out why. Only time it's happened.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! It's a little hard to interpret that 47 min of screen-on time, because that wasn't starting from a full charge.

I'm never quite sure why Google Play Services freaks out from time to time. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with upcoming updates to Google Play Services--it's probably my imagination, but when this happens to me, it always seems that an update comes through within the next couple of days.

A reboot usually clears the issue up, in any case. Has that worked for you?
    I've rebooted my phone multiple times. My phone starts to get really warm then I'm forced to shut it down.

Try clearing the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery

Be aware that the cache clear can take up to 10 minutes on the Nexus 5, for some reason. Just let it do its thing.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Try clearing the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery

Be aware that the cache clear can take up to 10 minutes on the Nexus 5, for some reason. Just let it do its thing.
    I've done that. Battery still drains because of Google Play Services

tonyr6 likes this.

Check to see if your auto update is on if so turn it off that should save you some battery life.

Posted via JB Note
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by J Boyd View Post
    Check to see if your auto update is on if so turn it off that should save you some battery life.

Posted via JB Note
    I just tried it out, still drains my battery.

Try turning off locations services and see how that goes. Let us know.

It helped me

Did you attempt to log out and log back in? That and clearing the cache usually seem to do the trick.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    crxssi likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks for the help. None of the solutions worked so I factory reset my phone. Now it's better

Google Play Services is temperamental at times. There will usually be days it hits the battery hard and days it doesn't. Bro signal quality is a big cause, IMO due to using cell towers for location. If you bounce towers a lot., more location data is added thinking you are moving.

Again, just my opinion.

Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

For me it is acting the exact same way in 4.4.4 as 4.4.3 and 4.4.2. I can go days or longer with 3-4% every 9 hours of idle. But then, like today, it was off the charger and idle for only 3.5 hours and it consumed 6% of the battery. And most of that was Google Services again (although sometimes it is just "Android System"). So I rebooted.... and it will be OK again for days until it happens again. Very annoying. My #1 issue with the Nexus 5.
    tonyr6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    My #1 issue with the Nexus 5.

Is it a Nexus 5 issue or an Android/NSA issue?!?

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley_11 View Post
    Is it a Nexus 5 issue or an Android/NSA issue?!?
    I am fairly sure this is an Android issue, since the big power drains are pointed to software services (Google Play Services and/or Android System). I also think everyone on the N5 experiences these issues intermittently like I do, but most don't know it because they don't have regular periods of inactivity like I do- I usually don't use the phone AT ALL at work, just carry it... so I will know immediately when I get home and turn up the ringer how JUST THE IDLE BATTERY TIME is most days. I have all other variables held constant... same location/building, same duration, same wifi network, same tower. It would be easy for others to notice these issues, even if they have no long-idle periods in the day, by examining the same periods at night... but most people CHARGE the phone overnight, so they won't see it then, either.

Could it be this affects non-Nexus-5 phones? Possibly. But the vendors make significant changes to Android, some of which might address or prevent this from happening. I just don't know. But I do know that prior to the N5, I carried EVO phones the exact same way and never had these drastic differences in battery usage from identical idle times. It might also be more than one issue.
    tonyr6 likes this.

Uggh...

You all need to stop thinking inside the box and step out a bit. Google Play Services and Android System are not simply parts of the operating system; both of these are used by nearly all apps to some degree or another. For example, any app that includes mapping or location functions almost certainly relies on the Google Play Services toolkit. As does YouTube. As another example, no "music player" app actually plays music; they just provide a pretty front-end user interface to the built-in operating system functions.

If Google Play Services is eating your battery, you can bet that it is caused by a hung or misbehaving app.

https://developer.android.com/google...ces/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    If Google Play Services is eating your battery, you can bet that it is caused by a hung or misbehaving app.
    I wish someone had an *easy* way to figure out which app is causing problems, for slackers/dummies like me.
    tonyr6 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Google Play Services and Android System are not simply parts of the operating system; both of these are used by nearly all apps to some degree or another. For example, any app that includes mapping or location functions almost certainly relies on the Google Play Services toolkit. As does YouTube. As another example, no "music player" app actually plays music; they just provide a pretty front-end user interface to the built-in operating system functions.

Very good observation. Of course, one could also argue that if the services are set up in such a way that we can't know what is using them to cause problems, and/or that the services can't self limit to prevent such problems, part of the blame is still Android, itself.

In my case, I don't have many apps installed on my phone (tablet- that is a different story), and the few I do use are pretty "normal"/simple/well-known and/or are Google (Maps, search, Chrome). I also have location tracking off, GPS on low power mode, Google Now off, etc, etc. I will try to discover a link between using ANY app and the drain starting again, but I don't think there is a strong link in my case, and it might be impossible to find such an association.
    surrealjam, Wiley_11 and tonyr6 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley_11 View Post
    I wish someone had an *easy* way to figure out which app is causing problems, for slackers/dummies like me.
    check your past few apps, make sure they were shutdown properly. I always make sure I'm at the home screen before I shut off the phone for good, because occasionally otherwise the app will sometimes keep running in the background, and that can show up as google services. Media apps are particularly bad with that given they can play music with the screen off.
    Wiley_11 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Of course, one could also argue that if the services are set up in such a way that we can't know what is using them to cause problems, and/or that the services can't self limit to prevent such problems, part of the blame is still Android, itself.
    Part of the blame? I'd say most of the blame. There will always be an almost infinite supply of poor and even rogue apps in the play store so Google clearly need to design Android to identify and resource limit such apps. The current situation is just crap design.
    tonyr6 likes this.

Question Re: Google Play Services Draining Battery

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which normally has about 10-14 hours battery life. Today I checked my phone and saw it was off. I plugged it into my charger and turned it back on assuming I had done it accidentally only to find it was on 4% charge. I was then greeted by an error message I have never seen before telling me charging was suspended due to battery being too cold or too hot. At this point it brought up the prompt to view battery use. It showed that I was on battery for 3 1/2 hours from full and the battery consumption was 2% Android OS 2% display and 96% Google play services. Nothing like this has happened to me before and my phone is still less than 1 year old. I removed the back from my phone to feel if the battery was indeed of an abnormal temperature but it felt only very slightly warm to touch. Can anyone tell me what caused either of these event and/or how I can prevent them happening in future.
    Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

It may be worth entering Safe Mode so that you can find out whether a bad third-party app is responsible. It wouldn't do any harm to clear the app Cached Data and to wipe the Cache Partition first, but I think the Safe Mode remedy is your best option.
    You sound technically savvy but if you need further guidance, say.

Technically speaking we shouldn't be doing this in the N5 forum but as you're new I'm sure allowance will be made☺.

Try switching to the ART runtime and see what happens. Doing this improved battery life for me, particularly in standby.

Sent from my Nexus 5 via the Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
    Try switching to the ART runtime and see what happens. Doing this improved battery life for me, particularly in standby.
    Any disadvantages of switching to ART?

Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    Any disadvantages of switching to ART?
    I think the vast majority of ART related issues will now have disappeared. Bear in mind that Android L will only use ART - all the major app developers will have been testing their apps with ART as much, if not more, than Dalvik.

ART does use a little more storage space for applications themselves - say an extra 10% or so. This might be of concern if you are already low on storage and have lots of apps.

The only known limitation is that the Xposed framework is not compatible with ART... so unless you use that I say give it a try.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast