Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

Default Considering N5

Hello all. So I may be transitioning from my N4 to the N5 and would like some insight and opinions on the phone. As you can see, going from the N4 to the N5 is an upgrade. But I would like honest opinions on this phone. Thank you

Default Re: Considering N5

It's a great phone, as long as you don't need it to be a workhorse. The battery is very mediocre, giving me around 3 hours total screen-on time per charge. I can still usually get through a whole day on a charge with light-moderate use. But otherwise, the phone is fast, smooth, and lag-free. The Google Now Launcher works flawlessly, and getting prompt updates from Google is a huge perk (as you know from owning a Nexus 4). Screen is beautiful, and camera works very well in my opinion. I'm using mine on T-Mobile.

I recently upgraded to the Nexus 5 from a Nexus 4. If you like the Nexus 4 you will like the Nexus 5. But my main thing is that I don't feel like it is a noticeable difference to feel like a real 'upgrade'. Google has done such a good job optimizing kitkat that the nexus devices I own are all on par with each other in regards to speediness and performance. The battery life on the N5, for me at least, is about the same as the N4 (your mileage will vary of course). The screen is noticeably better when you hold both side-by-side but you might not feel like it is that big a change in day-to-day.

It is a tiny bit larger than the N4 but it's pretty thin and I am able to still use it 1 handed comfortably. With a case it becomes more difficult but not by any more than if you were to use a case on the nexus 4.

The Nexus 5 has more straight corners on it so you don't get that really comfortable roll off the sides on the screen like nexus 4. The top of the display almost feels sharp against my ear when I make phone calls. All this is moot if you are putting on a case. The camera is much better than the nexus 4, but I'm no photographer. HDR+ is pretty good and not any faster than HDR on the N4.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    It's a great phone, as long as you don't need it to be a workhorse. The battery is very mediocre, giving me around 3 hours total screen-on time per charge. I can still usually get through a whole day on a charge with light-moderate use. But otherwise, the phone is fast, smooth, and lag-free. The Google Now Launcher works flawlessly, and getting prompt updates from Google is a huge perk (as you know from owning a Nexus 4). Screen is beautiful, and camera works very well in my opinion. I'm using mine on T-Mobile.
    I too will be using mine on T-Mobile. My girlfriend has an HTC one and has yet to get the system updates we see on the Google devices. How would you rate the battery compared to the Nexus 4?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MalachyNG View Post
    I recently upgraded to the Nexus 5 from a Nexus 4. If you like the Nexus 4 you will like the Nexus 5. But my main thing is that I don't feel like it is a noticeable difference to feel like a real 'upgrade'. Google has done such a good job optimizing kitkat that the nexus devices I own are all on par with each other in regards to speediness and performance. The battery life on the N5, for me at least, is about the same as the N4 (your mileage will vary of course). The screen is noticeably better when you hold both side-by-side but you might not feel like it is that big a change in day-to-day.

It is a tiny bit larger than the N4 but it's pretty thin and I am able to still use it 1 handed comfortably. With a case it becomes more difficult but not by any more than if you were to use a case on the nexus 4.

The Nexus 5 has more straight corners on it so you don't get that really comfortable roll off the sides on the screen like nexus 4. The top of the display almost feels sharp against my ear when I make phone calls. All this is moot if you are putting on a case. The camera is much better than the nexus 4, but I'm no photographer. HDR+ is pretty good and not any faster than HDR on the N4.
    I've had my N4 since release, so the battery will seem much better (I hope!). That's too bad that there is no "noticeable" difference performance wise from the N4 to N5. I am,looking forward to having LTE over the usual 3g or H I am used to. I will be using, of course, a case for the phone (I get rather rough *ermm, usage out of phones). The camera is a plus as well. Thank you for your honest opinion of the N5.

Quote Originally Posted by jc0187 View Post
    How would you rate the battery compared to the Nexus 4?
    Sorry, can't comment on that, since I never had one!

Battery life has never been a problem for me but I also always had chargers nearby if I needed them. When I use Bluetooth and stream music through my navigation I use a car charger since I am in my vehicle. But if I really needed more battery life I would get one of those Nexus 5 cases that have a battery built into it.
    It's a good device. Especially for that price.

Sent via Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by DavidsTech View Post
    Battery life has never been a problem for me but I also always had chargers nearby if I needed them. When I use Bluetooth and stream music through my navigation I use a car charger since I am in my vehicle. But if I really needed more battery life I would get one of those Nexus 5 cases that have a battery built into it.
    It's a good device. Especially for that price.

Have you found any good cases with a built in battery?

Sent via Note 3

My wife and I both had Nexus 4's purchased within minutes of their initial release. I moved on to the Nexus 5, again purchased within minutes of its release.

What I can tell you is this: whenever I pick up my wife's N4 I am immediately aware of its smaller, less-bright and poorer resolution screen, slower overall response, and (for me, anyway) less comfortable feel. I greatly prefer my N5 and occasionally feel guilty that I have not yet purchased one for her.

Well.... functionally, there isn't a TON of a difference between the two.... Both run the same release of KK now.. but the 5 will just do most things better. The N5, 9 months after release, is still one of the fastest and most responsive phones available. And you'll get upgrades in the screen and camera. Battery life is fairly close between the two, so you'll most likely find that, given the same use on both, you'll get close to the same amount of time between charges.... But if you are used to the 4's life, you'll be fine.

The 4 didn't officially support LTE either.. some people have hacked/unlocked it, but it is still limited.

That being said, the 5 is still a clear upgrade over the 4, especially in the parts we notice the most (camera, processing speed, display).

I had the N4 and now the N5. The N5 gives me about 25% more battery life than the N4.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Ive had my N5 for maybe 2 weeks now and its quite good, its a nice bit of kit Im pleased I got 1.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by jc0187 View Post
    Hello all. So I may be transitioning from my N4 to the N5 and would like some insight and opinions on the phone. As you can see, going from the N4 to the N5 is an upgrade. But I would like honest opinions on this phone. Thank you
    The Nexus 5 is better in every way. The only thing I miss about the N4 at all is the smooth curved display. It had a better feel.

But...The Nexus 5 has a rubberized back which I like a lot more and is very grippy. It has a noticeably better display without the need for tweaking. The display is one of the best I have ever seen for brightness...it is very visible even in direct sunlight and that was not true of the Nexus 4. Also the Nexus 4 has this weird sheen on it in sunlight, which I think is the touch layer wires reflecting or something...but that does not happen on the 5.

The camera is massively better on the 5...like night and day. The nexus 5 has one of the most underrated cameras in the industry right now IMO. The Nexus 5 has more storage. The CPU is much faster (although the UI on the 4 is almost as fast now with 4.4.3). The Nexus 5 is definitely more durable than the 4, though it is still more fragile than most flagships. The Nexus 5 has LTE capability. Battery life has been almost double for me with the nexus 5.

I still have my Nexus 4, so I can compare them side by side.
    Thanked by:
    jc0187 

I just bought a nexus 5 going from a sgs3. I've been using my mothers nexus 4 a lot because I've tweaked it to make it as efficient as possible for her, and with her usage level she can get a week on one charge. I've not even managed 2 days on my nexus 5 with light usage. Last night I disabled mobile data and put it on wi-fi with "keep wi-fi on during sleep" set to always, I lost 20% in 10h with no usage at all. That's a joke compared to my Nexus 7's, both versions.

Also I've done side to side comparisons of the screens and color and brightnesswise the nexus 5 screen is on par with the nexus 4 and the nexus 7 2013. The resolution difference is hardly noticeable.

Also coming from the sgs3 the nexus 5 is less comfortable with it's pretty hard edges, the nexus 4 is not as rough on your pinky.

If I instead could've gotten the nexus 4 for about $100 less than the nexus 5 I would've bought it any day of the week, but it isn't sold in Sweden anymore.

To this date the best nexus device IMO is the nexus 7 2013 despite the slower CPU.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Worth every penny I've owned both devices. Upgrade all around

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    560 Global Posts

I have the Nexus 4 and almost went for the N5. I decided instead to just replace the battery on the phone and wait until the next refresh. For me, the difference between the two devices really wasn't worth the upgrade.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.3 unlocked and rooted

I went from the N4 to the N5 and my wife inherited the N4. The N5 is brighter and faster. With reasonable use I can make a full day from 7 am ot midnight without charging. I love my N5
    Living in Puerto Vallarta with my wife and our 5 Kids, Atrix 4G, N4, N5, N7, N10 and a recently adopted MK908B.
    www.romamexico.com