will deleting 67K+ Hangouts/SMSs messages make much of a difference?

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
When I often open the Hangouts app or open specific threads in the app, there is a delay of nearly two seconds. This is getting to be annoying.

When I use Air Droid, and look at the stats area it says I have 67,000+ Messages.
On the N5 storage settings area it states that Phone/Messaging Storage takes up 1.42 GB.

Would deleting my Hangouts/messages make much of a difference?

Also, is there a current best app to backup SMS/MMS messages? I'm not really interested in restoring them on the device, I just want a record of them somewhere. I see SMS Backup+ has some decent reviews (and having them all in gmail is kinda appealing).

thanks,

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 10.44.13 PM.png

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's a lot of saved messages! I think deleting those messages will significantly improve the performance of Hangouts. I don't really know about SMS backup apps, though.

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I use Verizon Messages to backup messages when I switch between my N5 and my GS5. It creates a file that I save to Drive then restore on the other device. Works flawlessly even on T-Mobile.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
You must be one popular person!

Ha, not really. I text with just a handful of people.

I've had my N5 for about 7 months. That's only about 319 messages a day. And that's 319 sent and received, not just sent.

I also did a restore from my N4 when I got the N5 and I know those messages aren't in Hangouts but maybe they're still on the device?

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Ha, not really. I text with just a handful of people.

I've had my N5 for about 7 months. That's only about 319 messages a day. And that's 319 sent and received, not just sent.

I also did a restore from my N4 when I got the N5 and I know those messages aren't in Hangouts but maybe they're still on the device?

So 150+ sent text messages per day. Yes, that's a lot. In an 18 hour day, that's more than 8 sent per hour continuously all day, including straight through work/school. Over 16 incoming/outgoing continuously about every 4 minutes non stop.

I'd never be able to get anything done with continuous interruptions like that.

Posted via Android Central App

J00P24

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
So 150+ sent text messages per day. Yes, that's a lot. In an 18 hour day, that's more than 8 sent per hour continuously all day, including straight through work/school. Over 16 incoming/outgoing continuously about every 4 minutes non stop.

I'd never be able to get anything done with continuous interruptions like that.

150 messages sent a day isn't a lot, I do more than that easily lol.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
So 150+ sent text messages per day. Yes, that's a lot.

In actuality it's probably less than 150 sent per day. Often I receive more than send. An example: last night I sent one text to someone and they weren't too happy with that text and then they sent 20 messages within the next 10 minutes. lol.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Update:

I used SMS Backup+ to backup 70,000+ SMS msgs and 3,000+ MMS msgs to Gmail. The app is a little buggy, I had to turn wifi off to backup the bulk of the messages. I have no plans on restoring messages, so I don't know how well that feature works. I just wanted a record of them in gmail.

After backing up I deleted six SMS Hangout threads (which comprised 97%+ of the messages). This actually took awhile because Hangouts acted oddly, I would delete a thread, the space wasn't recovered, and then the msgs would later re-appear. I guess it kinda chokes when deleting a thread with 20K+ messages in it?

But after finally deleting those six threads Hangouts is much snappier and threads load instantly. Plus, I got reclaimed a bunch of space (offset by recently taken photos).

This afternoon:

nexus-5-info-3.png

A month ago:

nexus-5-info.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar