Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

Default Nexus 5 wired or wireless charging?

So, never had wireless charging on a phone. I am considering it for my N5. The only clear issues I will have, is that I do like to use my phone while charging, so Yea, that's a definite negative. Will it harm the battery removing it from charging and placing it back on, multiple times? Any feedback on the wireless charging is greatly appreciated. Also, just received confirmation from Siedio that their case works with wireless charging. Thanks!

Global Posts
    598 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 5 wired or wireless charging?

Wireless definitely. I have several wireless chargers, they work great and they are much more convienient then using a cable. You shoud also get a QI car mount. I have mine mounted on the louvers rather than the windshield which puts it in easy reach which simplies using it for navigation. The QI charger has no trouble keeping up with the N5 even while navigating.
    Nexus 5 wired or wireless charging?-2014-06-17-11.43.21.jpg

Global Posts
    682 Global Posts

Do you need to use a special case?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I talked to Siedio, and they said their case is completely compatible with the wireless charging.

@bjrosen, is your car mount something you bought or made? I'd had very little luck finding a retail qi car mount with a low profile and decent reviews.

Global Posts
    598 Global Posts

Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jc0187 View Post
    So, never had wireless charging on a phone. I am considering it for my N5.
    Best thing since sliced bread. I will never be without it now.

The only clear issues I will have, is that I do like to use my phone while charging, so Yea, that's a definite negative.
    Nope. Because you can still unplug the wireless and plug it in and use it while charging if that is what you want to do, occasionally. Best of both worlds. But for normal use, nothing beats inductive charging... it is just incredibly convenient, especially if you like to get "inbetween" charges.

Will it harm the battery removing it from charging and placing it back on, multiple times?
    No

Any feedback on the wireless charging is greatly appreciated.
    Works great, fast charging, convenient, easy to use, less stress on connectors, love it, gotta have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
    No, but if the case is very thick, it could cause problems. It seems to work fine with most cases (including pretty much all silicone cases).

Once you go wireless you will wonder why you waited so long.

Posted via Android Central App

I bought a wireless charger but now think they are just a gimmick as I have written here Nexus 5: Which wireless charger is the best?

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    I bought a wireless charger but now think they are just a gimmick as I have written here Nexus 5: Which wireless charger is the best?
    And you can see my retort right under that: Nexus 5: Which wireless charger is the best?

Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

I'm not a fan. Wireless charging generates a lot of heat which is not great for the life of your battery. Also the sweet spot and charging confirmation can be a PIA. My only experience has been the OEM Nexus 5 charger. Bought 2 and returned both. See my thread -

Nexus 5 Wireless Charger - Unboxing Pictures

Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging is can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-...ht-w-513217256
    tonyr6 likes this.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

So, never had wireless charging on a phone. I am considering it for my N5. The only clear issues I will have, is that I do like to use my phone while charging, so Yea, that's a definite negative. Will it harm the battery removing it from charging and placing it back on, multiple times? Any feedback on the wireless charging is greatly appreciated. Also, just received confirmation from Siedio that their case works with wireless charging. Thanks!
    I have been using wireless charging since I bought my N5, and it is awesome! It's simple and very convenient. If you keep one at your desk, you can just set your phone down and then pick it up when you leave.

It can take a little longer to charge this way, but it's convenience more than makes up for that. And if you must charge it as fast as possible or want to use it while charging, you can just unplug the USB cable from the wireless charger and use it.

As for heat generated with wireless chargers, that is more dependent on the wireless charger you have. I use the RavPower Qi Wireless Charger and my N5 doesn't seem to get any warmer than it does charging via USB. This charger is great, and is a little cheaper than the official Nexus charger. I went with it because the reviews are great.

I very much recommend wireless charging!

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Best thing since sliced bread.
    Indeed, it is!

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    I'm not a fan. Wireless charging generates a lot of heat which is not great for the life of your battery. Also the sweet spot and charging confirmation can be a PIA.
    It does create some additional heat, although we don't know if that affects battery life anymore than the [lesser] heat from wired charging. But I have absolutely no problems with positioning or "sweet spot" nor confirmation. I slap it on there and 99% of the time it gives me the tone and is perfect. About 1% of the time I get no tone or the error beeping because I was exceptionally sloppy and just reposition it and move it. Not a big whoop. Might vary with different case/charger combinations.

I have the nexus qi charger and use it for quick little charges for around the house. Works well and does generate heat.

Posted via Android Central App
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

Well, I just ordered my new Nexus 5 +wireless charger.

I grabbed two Nokia chargers when AT&T was having their fire sale a few weeks ago. Love them especially at work. Drop and charge.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Global Posts
    13,293 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I have a Zens and the Nokia chargers that work great. I do notice that with the Zens you have to place the phone on a certain part of the charger, which isn't much of a big issue. The Nokia seems to not be an issue with that regards. Either way, I am very satisfied with the Qi chargers and rarely use a wired means to charge.

I wouldn't charge my phone any other way... I bought two wireless chargers after I got my Nexus 7, 2013 one for work and one for home and I've only used the USB cable on the Nexus 5 maybe 1 or 2 times and that was to move pictures to a computer from the device... I bought the TYTL charger and they are (or were) pricey but I really like it and I've had zero issues with it.. seems to charge plenty fast enough and I've never had any heating issues with it either... I also have the Siedio case on my phone and it charges just as good with the case as it does without it on....

My only "ISSUE" with wireless charging is I wish the device wouldn't power on the screen when I set it down.. I usually set it down wait two seconds for the screen to power up and then turn it off.... It's such a minor issue I've never even wasted any time researching if you could turn that off or not.....
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Have never understood the big deal about wireless charging. You are still technically wired to the wall.

Yeah it's a little more convenient...but $60 or $80 more convenient? lol
    tonyr6 likes this.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Have never understood the big deal about wireless charging. You are still technically wired to the wall.

Yeah it's a little more convenient...but $60 or $80 more convenient? lol
    There are good wireless chargers out there for $20, or less. They are more than worth their price.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by frag06 View Post
    There are good wireless chargers out there for $20, or less. They are more than worth their price.
    Can you name a few?

Not being sarcastic...if they are really that cheap I'd consider one.

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PPP mcleod2 View Post
    I have the nexus qi charger and use it for quick little charges for around the house. Works well and does generate heat.
    Well, *all* charging generates heat, just varies depending on method and rate of charge. Interestingly, it almost seems like my Powerbot wireless charges faster than USB.

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie317 View Post
    My only "ISSUE" with wireless charging is I wish the device wouldn't power on the screen when I set it down.. I usually set it down wait two seconds for the screen to power up and then turn it off.... It's such a minor issue I've never even wasted any time researching if you could turn that off or not.....
    [corrected] Mine will also turn on the screen when I place it on my PowerBot QI charger but only if the battery is below 90-something percent, and it plays a "bling" sound. If it is above that, it just beeps the charger once (confirmation it is correctly placed) and the screen stays off.

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Agreed. I was just about to post this!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Can you name a few?

Not being sarcastic...if they are really that cheap I'd consider one.
    The Choe wireless charger is also good, $25. But the PowerBot is just as good, if not better. It is also $5 less. This PowerBot is also a good charger, and it is the same price as the other PowerBot, $20.

If you want to look for more, just search Amazon for "wireless chargers" or "Qi wireless chargers".
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast