Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jj14x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wi-Fi calling on Nexus 5

I learned today that T-Mobile offers free Wi-Fi calling on most new Android smartphones, however, it is not available on the Nexus 5. Does anyone know why? Does anyone know how it can be enabled?

Default Re: Wi-Fi calling on Nexus 5

As of now Google has not yet put in wifi calling into Android itself thus why the nexus 5 or nexus 4 doesn't have it. T-Mobile bakes it into the phones they sell like the Samsung galaxy note 3 or any other branded phone into the os.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for your prompt reply. Are you saying that if I purchased an N5 from T-Mo it would have that function?

No T-Mobile sells the nexus 5 the same way as it is sold on the Google play store. T-Mobile and sprint are just another way to buy the phone

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

Any phone that is sold in T-Mobile that's not a nexus 5 device should have wifi calling. I liked the nexus 5 but the deal breaker for me was no wifi calling

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by 2:

There used to be an app that would allow Google Voice to perform wifi calling, however, it stopped working at the end of April. The rumor that I have read is that it will be baked into an upcoming version of Hangouts or Voice.

Hopefully tmobile and google are conjuring something up.

Apple did it with tmobile.

And i really hope google makes a native visual voicemail app too....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    Hopefully tmobile and google are conjuring something up.

Apple did it with tmobile.

And i really hope google makes a native visual voicemail app too....
    I think it's more Apple was doing it for Apple.. So T-Mobile is now able to do it. Not Apple doing it just for T-Mobile.. Or that is my understanding of it.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I think it's more Apple was doing it for Apple.. So T-Mobile is now able to do it. Not Apple doing it just for T-Mobile.. Or that is my understanding of it.

But no other carrier takes advantage of wifi calling on ios8 except tmobile.

Yet we'll see what google has up their sleeve at i/o. hopefully wifi calling/visual voicemail.

The elephant in the room is that carriers want their customers to pay extremely high international rates....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    But no other carrier takes advantage of wifi calling on ios8 except tmobile.

Yet we'll see what google has up their sleeve at i/o. hopefully wifi calling/visual voicemail.

The elephant in the room is that carriers want their customers to pay extremely high international rates....
    Sprint does as well I believe

ROM
    CM7 or a stock sense rom

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Sprint does as well I believe

Sprint rolled it out on a select few devices awhile back. They said they would roll it out to more later but I haven't heard anything since.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flyer8493 View Post
    Sprint rolled it out on a select few devices awhile back. They said they would roll it out to more later but I haven't heard anything since.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    But they may for Apple since Apple will be supporting it... It's a maybe.. But looks promising.

Lightbulb Re: Wi-Fi calling on Nexus 5

Actually there is no conspiracy or Jerk-ness about this at all. T-Mobile USA uses a pretty standard system for doing Wifi calling similar to what it does with VoLTE already. Its essentially the same traffic and is similar in principle to VoIP. Its all data going over a network. Its no longer separate from the data network aside from a higher priority being given to voice data traffic over regular data (QoS). Android ha supported VoIP for a while, HOWEVER Wifi calling ISNT VoIP. You need extra code and logic to handle routing and dynamic fail/rollover support mid call. As such until Android includes this code in the basic AOSP (open source) or Nexus/OEM (proprietary) code... those devices won't work with it unless said features and the user interface for it is added.
    iOS with version 8 now has that extra code baked into the OS, thats why Wifi calling is suddenly possible on the iPhones. Its not magic or some direct deal, just now its included in the system files directly from the phone manufacturer. For Android currently you have the OEM customizations and Wifi calling is added additionally in the carrier customizations packages.

So what does this mean?
    If Android L, much like iOS 8 now, includes it in the core OS then ALL Android L phones that are on the T-Mobile will get it. T-Mobile already has done the work on their back-end so all thats left is those software components on the phones to be added.
    You can't expect Google to go into their Nexus 4.4 code just for T-Mobile. Its a big re-working of the networking stack to handle two independent IP networks at the same time.

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Google has (finally) started rolling out VoIP calling over hangouts - download and install the new hangouts app from the play store, and also install the hangouts dialer app.
    Read more at Hangouts 2.3 Update Brings Remaining Google Voice Integration And A Big Visual Overhaul [APK Download] - you can also download the APKs from this site if the hangouts app hasn't updated for you.
    jvai likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cwestpha View Post
    Actually there is no conspiracy or Jerk-ness about this at all. T-Mobile USA uses a pretty standard system for doing Wifi calling similar to what it does with VoLTE already. Its essentially the same traffic and is similar in principle to VoIP. Its all data going over a network. Its no longer separate from the data network aside from a higher priority being given to voice data traffic over regular data (QoS). Android ha supported VoIP for a while, HOWEVER Wifi calling ISNT VoIP. You need extra code and logic to handle routing and dynamic fail/rollover support mid call. As such until Android includes this code in the basic AOSP (open source) or Nexus/OEM (proprietary) code... those devices won't work with it unless said features and the user interface for it is added.
    iOS with version 8 now has that extra code baked into the OS, thats why Wifi calling is suddenly possible on the iPhones. Its not magic or some direct deal, just now its included in the system files directly from the phone manufacturer. For Android currently you have the OEM customizations and Wifi calling is added additionally in the carrier customizations packages.

So what does this mean?
    If Android L, much like iOS 8 now, includes it in the core OS then ALL Android L phones that are on the T-Mobile will get it. T-Mobile already has done the work on their back-end so all thats left is those software components on the phones to be added.
    You can't expect Google to go into their Nexus 4.4 code just for T-Mobile. Its a big re-working of the networking stack to handle two independent IP networks at the same time.
    At this point, it would silly if Google didn't work uma calling/volte into Android L. There is absolutely no reason why Android can't have a native, baked-in uma calling/volte similar to ios 8.

Tell T-Mobile that we want an app. Sign this petition and share the link. change dot org/p/t-mobile-make-an-app-for-wifi-calling

You should add your voice to the Android issue tracker for wifi calling here;
    code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=74528

i keep waiting for sprint to fix the wifi calling too so i can use it on my n5