Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  • 2 Post By frag06
  • 1 Post By JeffDenver
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default From iPhone 5S to Nexus 5

    Hey all,

    So I've been thinking of ways to save some money and am considering switching to a Nexus 5 from my iPhone. I've done research on the device and the ONE thing that's holding me back, and is consistently harped on in reviews, is the battery life.

    I'm used to getting home with about 80-90% of my battery left after listening to streaming music for ~1-2 hours, texting, and a small amount of browsing. I'm mainly concerned because I use my phone as my primary camera and I don't want to have to worry so much about battery life as I'm out and about. I do have an old car charger from my previous android, so that should alleviate some issues. Does it at least charge fairly quickly?

    Is it really that bad, or am I letting reviews blow this out of proportion?
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,782 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: From iPhone 5S to Nexus 5

    Some really good questions here. I think it mostly depends on your carrier and how the signal strength is. My Nexus can make it 9ish hours easy. Granted by the time I get home, it is in the low 30s or upper 20s for battery remaining. I do not take a lot of pictures, though.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. #3  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    9,078 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,082 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: From iPhone 5S to Nexus 5

    I think battery life really varies by user and use of the device. When I was stock Kernel battery life was very good for me, no complaints whatsoever. If you have settings adjusted right you can make it through your day just fine, or at least through a good part of it until you need to charge.

    Having said that, I think Golfdriver has some good points that battery life also depends on your carrier and the signal strength. Which iPhone do you currently have? Also, the Nexus 5 has a quick charge feature when charging via the wall charger. It's a really fast charge and something you may like of you need to charge (doesn't quick charge with USB).

    Hopefully our comments give you some insight. Let us know if you have any questions.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: From iPhone 5S to Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I think battery life really varies by user and use of the device. When I was stock Kernel battery life was very good for me, no complaints whatsoever. If you have settings adjusted right you can make it through your day just fine, or at least through a good part of it until you need to charge.

    Having said that, I think Golfdriver has some good points that battery life also depends on your carrier and the signal strength. Which iPhone do you currently have? Also, the Nexus 5 has a quick charge feature when charging via the wall charger. It's a really fast charge and something you may like of you need to charge (doesn't quick charge with USB).

    Hopefully our comments give you some insight. Let us know if you have any questions.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanks for the quick replies guys!

    I'm currently using an iPhone 5s on T-mobile. Signal strength is great! The only times I have not been in lte/4g range was up in the mountains or the middle of nowhere.

    Wasn't aware of the quick charge feature that's cool! I have no problems turning off unneeded radios or even installing battery saver apps so that should help I guess. I'd rather not get into rooting if I can avoid it.

    Your comments have been very helpful thanks! It doesn't sound like the battery is the big ugly monster it's been made out to be.

    I do have one question though: what's this ART runtime and, if using it, does it have an impact on battery life?
  5. #5  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,782 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: From iPhone 5S to Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by cmd280 View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies guys!

    I'm currently using an iPhone 5s on T-mobile. Signal strength is great! The only times I have not been in lte/4g range was up in the mountains or the middle of nowhere.

    Wasn't aware of the quick charge feature that's cool! I have no problems turning off unneeded radios or even installing battery saver apps so that should help I guess. I'd rather not get into rooting if I can avoid it.

    Your comments have been very helpful thanks! It doesn't sound like the battery is the big ugly monster it's been made out to be.

    I do have one question though: what's this ART runtime and, if using it, does it have an impact on battery life?
    Art is a new way that apps run. It is technically in beta right now, but will allow apps to run more efficiently.

    From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  6. #6  
    selena650's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

    Default Re: From iPhone 5S to Nexus 5

    Im in the same boat. I have an iPhone 5s on t-mobile. But my problem is the storage the nexus has.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. #7  
    frag06's Avatar

    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

    Default Re: From iPhone 5S to Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by cmd280 View Post
    Hey all,

    So I've been thinking of ways to save some money and am considering switching to a Nexus 5 from my iPhone. I've done research on the device and the ONE thing that's holding me back, and is consistently harped on in reviews, is the battery life.

    I'm used to getting home with about 80-90% of my battery left after listening to streaming music for ~1-2 hours, texting, and a small amount of browsing. I'm mainly concerned because I use my phone as my primary camera and I don't want to have to worry so much about battery life as I'm out and about. I do have an old car charger from my previous android, so that should alleviate some issues. Does it at least charge fairly quickly?

    Is it really that bad, or am I letting reviews blow this out of proportion?
    Life others here have said, battery life is dependent on signal strength and your carrier. It is obviously also dependent on how you use your phone.

    With reviews, you should remember that most reviewers are using the phone constantly, all day long. Their usage is usually pretty heavy, as they are testing everything the phone can do. But again, battery life is going to vary.

    As for battery tests listed in most reviews, most of these are different. Some run scripts, some run video loops; these are only two examples. Although this information is helpful, it is still pretty hard to tell how these tests reflect on real world performance. The only real usage most of these tests have, is when we compare them to other phones. The N5's battery life is great compared to a lot of phones, but there are still quite a few that beat it. I recommend reading AnandTech's review of the N5, if you haven't already. Their reviews are usually pretty thorough.

    Coming from an iPhone 5, I can tell you battery life is pretty good. As far as standby time goes, my N5 lasts much longer than my iPhone ever did. Screen on time could be a little longer, but is still pretty good. Overall, battery life is good.

    I recommend getting a wireless charger if you buy the N5. It is extremely convenient and easy to use. If you put one at your desk, you can set your phone down and pick it up when you leave.

    Quote Originally Posted by cmd280 View Post
    I do have one question though: what's this ART runtime and, if using it, does it have an impact on battery life?
    ART is going to be the new Android runtime. The current runtime is Dalvik, which compiles code when you run an app. ART compiles code when you install an app, eliminating the need to translate (compile) the code when starting an app. This should mean less lag, and like Golfdriver said, it should allow apps to run more efficiently. It does use a bit more storage and memory space, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

    ART should also improve battery life. How much of a difference it will make is currently unknown, as it is still in beta. Some people have reported it helps battery life significantly, while others have said it helps a little to not at all. But remember, this is a beta, and it hasn't been fully optimized yet. There haven't been many official tests, but Android Police conducted a few, which can be found here, here, and here. Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3, respectively.

    ART is expected to replace Dalvik in the next version of Android, 4.5 or 5.0. It has now been pretty much confirmed.
    Thanked by:
    cmd280 
    cmd280 and Golfdriver97 like this.
  8. #8  
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,925 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: From iPhone 5S to Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by cmd280 View Post
    Hey all,

    So I've been thinking of ways to save some money and am considering switching to a Nexus 5 from my iPhone. I've done research on the device and the ONE thing that's holding me back, and is consistently harped on in reviews, is the battery life.

    I'm used to getting home with about 80-90% of my battery left after listening to streaming music for ~1-2 hours, texting, and a small amount of browsing. I'm mainly concerned because I use my phone as my primary camera and I don't want to have to worry so much about battery life as I'm out and about. I do have an old car charger from my previous android, so that should alleviate some issues. Does it at least charge fairly quickly?

    Is it really that bad, or am I letting reviews blow this out of proportion?
    Battery life will depend on what you're using it for. The Nexus 5 does standby really really well...If I just turn the screen off I lose about 1% charge overnight. The Nexus 4 was good at that too.

    The Nexus 5 is also good with talk time.



    (Source - AnandTech | Google Nexus 5 Review)

    Keep in mind this test was prior to Kitkat and did not use ART runtime...so it is probably even better now.
    frag06 likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: From iPhone 5S to Nexus 5

    Charges in less than an hr from being at 25%. Very long use even with wifi on! Great sound for phone, the best ever.
  10. #10  
    bjrosen's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

    Default Re: From iPhone 5S to Nexus 5

    The battery life could be better but it isn't terrible. One thing to keep in mind is that the N5 has QI charging, the iPhone doesn't. QI charging is a huge conveinience, you just drop the phone down on a charging pad, there are no cables to fiddle with. I have a couple around my house and I have a Qi car mount in my car. I have the Qi car mount on the air conditioning louver rather than the windsheild which puts in easy reach. When I get into the car I automatically pop into the Qi mount, where I can use the phone for navigation (it's orders of magnitude better then the built in nav system in the car). And when I get out I just pop it out. The N5 beeps when the charger disengages (which it does when you turn the ignition switch off) which reminds me to grab the phone before I exit the car so I never forget that it's in the mount.

Similar Threads

  1. Google Maps/Nav - Anyway to turn off auto-reroute based on traffic?
    By onthecouchagain in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 12:29 AM
  2. Thinking of Upgrading Early to the M8...
    By Morty2264 in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2014, 11:50 PM
  3. Can I take my HTC Evo 4G to central america and activate it with TIGO
    By aceventura1972 in forum HTC EVO Design 4G
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions