Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By jdevenberg
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the Nexus 5 battery life ok?

hi all. coming over from windows phone and am very close to ordering a nexus 5. the only thing stopping me is that most reviews i've read cite the battery life as being mediocre at best. i am a light to moderate user and don't game but a battery that gets me through a workday on one charge is something i really want. any opinions/input would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Default re: Is the Nexus 5 battery life ok?

I sold my nexus 5 because of battery life and no WiFi calling on T-Mobile. I like bright screens around 65%-70% and mostly Web browsing and music listening. My nexus 5 wouldn't last me the whole day without me turning on airplane mode whenever I didn't use it. Compared to what I have now the note 3 is amazing in battery life.

For you as a light or moderate user like you say you are it might be good enough

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- Verizon
    Motorola Droid Turbo - Verizon
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- t-mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB Wifi
    Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3- T-mobile
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mary beth hale View Post
    hi all. coming over from windows phone and am very close to ordering a nexus 5. the only thing stopping me is that most reviews i've read cite the battery life as being mediocre at best. i am a light to moderate user and don't game but a battery that gets me through a workday on one charge is something i really want. any opinions/input would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
    Read this thread. It may help answer your question.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    I sold my nexus 5 because of battery life and no WiFi calling on T-Mobile. I like bright screens around 65%-70% and mostly Web browsing and music listening. My nexus 5 wouldn't last me the whole day without me turning on airplane mode whenever I didn't use it. Compared to what I have now the note 3 is amazing in battery life.

For you as a light or moderate user like you say you are it might be good enough

What you spent on that Note 3 I could have had got two Nexus 5 and still have extra money plus have a better battery life with the two Nexus 5 phones than the price of just one Note 3. At this point the LG G3 is the top of the Android Mountain if money wasn't the factor but I bet it will be cheaper than a Note 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    What you spent on that Note 3 I could have had got two Nexus 5 and had better battery life. At this point the LG G3 is the top of the Android Mountain if money wasn't the factor but I bet it will be cheaper than a Note 3.
    So what? I'll take the the note 3 and the s pen over the mild upgrade of specs of the g3 and a QHD screen any day of the week. The note 4 will most likely have a 805 cpu a QHD screen and probably better battery life then what is amazing in the note 3.

I also wasn't promoting the note 3 but making a point..... The battery life is OK on the nexus 5 but I got the note 3 in March because of battery life and WiFi calling

Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T

So what? I'll take the the note 3 and the s pen over the mild upgrade of specs of the g3 and a QHD screen any day of the week. The note 4 will most likely have a 805 cpu a QHD screen and probably better battery life then what is amazing in the note 3.

I also wasn't promoting the note 3 but making a point..... The battery life is OK on the nexus 5 but I got the note 3 in March because of battery life and WiFi calling

There is no Note 4 release date at this point. The LG G3 will be US available reported to be on July 17 will beat out every Cell phone on the market with specs and features. Considering the Note 3 cost almost twice as much as a Nexus 5 about the only thing you can claim is a longer lasting battery. The Note 3 at $600 unlocked is a old phone at this point in time but at the cost of the phone the Nexus 5 is still a bargain at $350. If I'm going to spend $600 then I would look at the LG G3 very hard. If money is a issue then the Nexus 5 is still the best phone under $500 on the market. I have a $18 pocket 12000mAh LCD External Power Bank Backup Dual USB Battery Charger that will charge my Nexus 5 several times that will last for over three days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    There is no Note 4 release date at this point. The LG G3 that will be US is reported to be on July 17 that will beat out every Cell phone on the market with specs and features. Considering the Note 3 cost almost twice as much as a Nexus 5 about the only thing you can claim is a longer lasting battery. The Note 3 at $600 unlocked is a old phone at this point in time but at the cost of the phone the Nexus 5 is still a bargain at $350. If I going to spend $600 then I would look at the LG G3 very hard.
    Specs? Really? The 801 is a minor spec upgrade.... Nothing to cry over. The only thing the g3 has is a QHD screen. The note 4 will be announced around September like it has the previous 3 phones announced.

Sorry I'll take a note 3 with the s pen over the g3 every time

Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T

Sorry I'll take a note 3 with the s pen over the g3 every time
    IIRC I saw a vid of the G3 and they were writing a note on it with their finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley_11 View Post
    IIRC I saw a vid of the G3 and they were writing a note on it with their finger.
    Still not a s pen

Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T

Getting back to the original question ...

I consider myself a light-moderate user of my Nexus 5 as well. One charge generally lasts me through the day, with the battery down to 30-40% before I go to sleep. Total screen-on time is about 3 hrs. I mostly use the AC app, Google+, Facebook, and the browser, as well as playing Family Guy in little snippets here and there.

If you're looking for a phone that will let you stream music, play games, or watch videos for hours on end without charging, this is not the phone for you. But if that isn't what you're after, but instead would like a very fast and smooth phone with a beautiful screen, excellent camera, and fast updates from Google, then definitely consider the Nexus 5.
    Thanked by 4:
    Johnly and wizzrah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Getting back to the original question ...

I consider myself a light-moderate user of my Nexus 5 as well. One charge generally lasts me through the day, with the battery down to 30-40% before I go to sleep. Total screen-on time is about 3 hrs. I mostly use the AC app, Google+, Facebook, and the browser, as well as playing Family Guy in little snippets here and there.

If you're looking for a phone that will let you stream music, play games, or watch videos for hours on end without charging, this is not the phone for you. But if that isn't what you're after, but instead would like a very fast and smooth phone with a beautiful screen, excellent camera, and fast updates from Google, then definitely consider the Nexus 5.
    I'll second what Ambassador B. Diddy said about getting back to the original question... Lets remember the OP here folks and not our own personal thoughts on what they should or shouldn't be buying and using
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 2:
    B. Diddy likes this.

I was constantly killing my Nexus 5. Then I picked up a few (4) wireless Chargers to put where I frequently am. Now it is rare for me to dip below 60% battery. Wireless charging is so convenient it is crazy. Nearly every time I set my phone down, it is charging.

Posted via Android Central App
    mary beth hale likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

thanks to everyone for the input. my main concern was being away from a charger at work(10 hours or so). around 1 hour screen time, maybe a half hour phone calls and 1/2 to 1 hour on the web. just don't want to be running on fumes at the end of the work day. coming from a windows phone, the nexus 5 attracts me because the user interface seems so much cleaner than the other android skins...and possibly easier to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by mary beth hale View Post
    thanks to everyone for the input. my main concern was being away from a charger at work(10 hours or so). around 1 hour screen time, maybe a half hour phone calls and 1/2 to 1 hour on the web. just don't want to be running on fumes at the end of the work day. coming from a windows phone, the nexus 5 attracts me because the user interface seems so much cleaner than the other android skins...and possibly easier to learn?
    Your welcome mary beth hale.

Yes the Nexus 5 is a nice device. Many devices have their bugs at initial launch and require some sort of update, same goes for any platform (Android, iOS, Windows) and just recently Google has pushed out 2 new updates Android 4.4.3 and in the last few days Android 4.4.4 to yet address even more bugs and issues. I'm curious to see what the community has to say about the Nexus 5 after the newest updates have some time to settle in.

In answer to your other questions.. Yes the Nexus has a very clean and straight forward interface & is relatively easy to learn because of it being vanilla Android and not OEM skinned.
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I was constantly killing my Nexus 5. Then I picked up a few (4) wireless Chargers to put where I frequently am. Now it is rare for me to dip below 60% battery. Wireless charging is so convenient it is crazy. Nearly every time I set my phone down, it is charging.

Question- isn't it bad for the battery to constantly be on the charger? I apologize for my ignorance on the subject but I love my nexus 5 and am interested in picking up a wireless charger. Do you use the Google one or something else?

Once again I apologize for the disruptive posting, off topic chatter and missing the whole point of helping a member with a question. She only asked for opinion on the Nexus 5 and battery life and not anyone's opinion of what she should have for a device or other opinions. All this has done is given a poor image of this community to a new member coming over from another platform and one of our sister forums.
    Paul

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I normally average around 18 hours of use between charges, about 3 hours of screen on time, and about 40%-50% left in the tank when I plug to charge overnight in my home area.

NO complaints here about the Nexus 5 battery life.

...via Nexus 5 and the A/C App
    To each their own...as long as it Android.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post
    Question- isn't it bad for the battery to constantly be on the charger? I apologize for my ignorance on the subject but I love my nexus 5 and am interested in picking up a wireless charger. Do you use the Google one or something else?

The nexus wireless charger is awesome if you own a nexus 5 since it uses magnets to keep it in place or put it in place correctly to charge. Since I sold my nexus 5 for a note 3 with the wireless charging back I use the tylt wireless charger since it is a lot easier to use then the Google nexus wireless charger with the note 3

Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T

Global Posts
    725 Global Posts

With moderate life and Viber calling for let's say 1 hour or so I get 3.50h screen time and 17 hrs or so on time for the device. Not sure how I can post the screenshots from the app. Would love to contribute with screenshots.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crisdean View Post
    With moderate life and Viber calling for let's say 1 hour or so I get 3.50h screen time and 17 hrs or so on time for the device. Not sure how I can post the screenshots from the app. Would love to contribute with screenshots.
    Do you mean to take a screen shot? If so, hold the power button + volume down button. To upload, simply click the "upload image" button when you go to post.

Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post
    I use the Nokia DT-900 that AT&T had on sale for $5 a few weeks ago. Modern phones have circuitry built in that stop the battery from getting over charged. And batteries do not develop a "memory" anymore like the old NiCad batteries did. So, in short, no. It does no harm to the phone or battery to leave it on constantly.

I'm a light to moderate phone user, and I can usually get 2 days off a charge and be around 30% after the second day, sometimes more if I don't use the phone much.

ART, limiting data usage (not many auto-matic syncs), Wifi usage, Auto-brightness, and staying on 3G when I don't need 4G have all helped. That kind of usage doesn't work for everyone though.

The biggest drains will be regular data use, signal strength, and screen usage. If you're heavy in all 3 of those, the N5 battery may not last a day with you without a charge.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint
    Thanked by: