Can I delete a word from the built-in dictionary?

berklon

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Using the built-in Kitkat keyboard with the swype-like function - when I try and type "you" it very often comes up with "thou" instead.

Is there a way I can delete "thou" from my dictionary? I have no need for the word since I rarely quote Shakespeare or the Ten Commandments to anyone.
I swear "thou" comes up 7 out of every 10 times I try to type "you". It's driving me nuts and thou art pissing me off.

Anyone?

fnsb00

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Ok yeah this is getting ridiculous.

Forget 'thou', at least it's actually a word that exists in a real dictionary; however, Google continues to keep adding stupid annoying proper nouns that nobody uses, like 'Weymouth', 'Khmer', or 'Olin'. I mean WTF, if you can think of some random letters that might be a name of someone or something, chances are that it's already in the built-in dictionary waiting to falsely autocorrect a REAL word you were trying to type.

Get your heads out of your asses, Google .. if it's not allowed in Scrabble, then get it the hell out of our UN-EDITABLE dictionary. We can always add the proper nouns that apply to us individually to the personal dictionary.

I'm sure I'm far from alone in my sentiments,

-fnsb

Last edited:

LGmarly

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes.
System Settings---Language & Input---Google Keyboard (click the settings icon next to it)---Personal Dictionary---select language---choose "thou", then delete.

fnsb00

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
The word "thou" is not in the personal dictionary, it's in the built-in dictionary, which is still completely unalterable - hence our frustration and the title of this thread.

Everybody knows how to edit the personal dictionary; however this response continues to be popular (even from Google/Andriod representatives) when people gripe the built-in dictionary. I guess people just don't read the question or understand that there're two dictionaries in Android.

We're still waiting on the ability to edit the far-too-inclusive built-in dictionary, Google.
In the meantime, I've completely discontinued my use of swype - it's become far slower than just typing the old-fashioned way because each swype pattern now corresponds to 20 different words (18 of them being names or stupid words which are totally inappropriate in a dictionary).

-fnsb

Aaron Webster

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
If you are willing to change your keyboard to swype you can easily remove words from the auto-correct dictionary. with swype enabled
-select a text field to bring up the keyboard
-type the word that you want to remove
-the word should show up in the suggestions right above the keyboard
-hold your finger on the suggested word
-when the prompt appears select delete word from dictionary

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The word "thou" is not in the personal dictionary, it's in the built-in dictionary, which is still completely unalterable - hence our frustration and the title of this thread.

Everybody knows how to edit the personal dictionary; however this response continues to be popular (even from Google/Andriod representatives) when people gripe the built-in dictionary. I guess people just don't read the question or understand that there're two dictionaries in Android.

We're still waiting on the ability to edit the far-too-inclusive built-in dictionary, Google.
In the meantime, I've completely discontinued my use of swype - it's become far slower than just typing the old-fashioned way because each swype pattern now corresponds to 20 different words (18 of them being names or stupid words which are totally inappropriate in a dictionary).

-fnsb

"Our frustration"? Lol, thou art wrong, thy dictionary knows thee well! Hahahah! JK! :D

Nicolas Durand

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I fully agree. My first name is Nicolas and 79% of the time, Nicholas comes up. Drives me nuts.

Other word I'd like to remove: ate.

I can't be that hard. If anything, the personal dictionary could contain "negative" entries.

Benjamin Felker

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
That is one reason I prefer third party keyboards. I use SwiftKey, and even when I have three languages autocorrecting, it works quite well. I don't think it is possible to delete words from the built in dictionary on the Google keyboard, but on SwiftKey, you can have it never predict certain words, by long-pressing on the prediction.

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Franklin

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
I can't save any slang words that I use all the time. I went into language settings and I have no "personal" dictionary. Anyone know how I can fix that?

OpponentSlayer

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I went to my keyboard settings, turned off predictive text, rebooted the phone. I then wipe my caches using a free downloaded system cleaner. I turned on predictive text again all personalized words were erased.

Plogigator

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
If you are willing to change your keyboard to swype you can easily remove words from the auto-correct dictionary. with swype enabled
-select a text field to bring up the keyboard
-type the word that you want to remove
-the word should show up in the suggestions right above the keyboard
-hold your finger on the suggested word
-when the prompt appears select delete word from dictionary

It used to allow this, it doesn't anymore after a recent update. Everytime I go to Swype 'people' I get 'peyote'. I'll sit, holding the word, and it won't bring up any command anymore.

Alex Berkowicz

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I hear you. I removed SWYPE considering it had a lot of bugs in my S4. Then installed google keayboard which works more smoothly, except for the fact that the stupid built in dictionary is not editable. For those of you who keep insisting to delete words from the Personal Dictionary, you guys are not getting the point ... It is the frigging Google Keyboard bui;lt in dictionary which is using stupid unwanted words.
Hope someone gets a workaround.

Thanks !

Adam Curtis

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I finally found a way. Start typing the word that you want to get rid of, tap the small arrow on the top right of the keyboard to the right of predicted text. Long press on the word to be deleted and there is the option to remove from learned words. Finally, it's crazy how simple that was

TheNextUser

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Running Swype 1.8.7 keyboard under Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean), I just removed a word from the built-in dictionary by holding the word (as described above) and it worked perfectly.

I haven't had any trouble at all with Swype. And it's fast. Maybe you have phone problems?

blastthedull

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I used the swype keyboard in android and it allows you to remove it from the list if you need it. But lately I realize that my phone was having some lags. As soon as I turned off the swype keyboard, the lags have disappeared. Did you try tapping and holding to see what context menu you are being given with? It worked on HTC though.

realstreets

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Can someone point me to a keyboard app that let's me remove words. Half the time I swipe for "and" I get "ACS". WTF even is ACS? Google products can be so great then have this one flaw that drives you mad and makes you not want to use it.

Jeremy S1

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I finally found a way. Start typing the word that you want to get rid of, tap the small arrow on the top right of the keyboard to the right of predicted text. Long press on the word to be deleted and there is the option to remove from learned words. Finally, it's crazy how simple that was

Yesssssss thank you finally

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown