Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Please help before I smash this thing.

I have had considerable ongoing issues with my Nexus 5 since I bought it in December through Fido in Canada.

This is my first Android phone having come from a couple of iPhones. I love the interface and OS but the Nexus itself - at least the one I have - is a piece of garbage.

First and foremost it crashes. A lot. Or sometimes a little. It's completely random though since 4.4.3 it hasn't done it so I don't know if that solved it. It's not app specific and has even happened when on voice calls. Freezes solid for about five seconds then reboots itself. Sometimes it would do it twice in a row three times a day, sometimes I could go weeks without a crash.

The GPS tracking has always been very poor. I'd find that as I drive along and watch the screen to navigate it would show me as stationary about 500m back from my current position. It would then quickly zoom to my location and lag again. Makes it really fun trying to find your frigging turn.

Lastly and possibly some of the most maddening is my data is non-existent on voice calls. Not just slow but totally gone DESPITE the phone showing it's on HSPA. I know it won't do simultaneous voice and LTE but I can't use data AT ALL on a voice call. Worse yet once I hang up the POS is stuck in that mode, still showing a data connection, but if you try to browse, use maps, check email or anything that uses data, it will churn for a half minute then tell you you're not connected to the network. It will usually start working a few minutes after a voice call but that's totally unacceptable.

I've come pretty close to making this thing live up to the Kit Kat theme and snapping it in half. Please advise what I should do with it before it gets to that point. I can warranty it through Fido but that means I won't have it for at least 2 weeks and I'm running a business here. I can't be without the phone for even a day. Thanks all.

Default Re: Please help before I smash this thing.

The first thing I would recommend is to download and flash a 4.4.4 factory image. Start completely from scratch then give it a few days to see if your problems reappear.

Sounds like you got a lemon.

Global Posts
    24,622 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon762mm View Post
    I have had considerable ongoing issues with my Nexus 5 since I bought it in December through Fido in Canada.

This is my first Android phone having come from a couple of iPhones. I love the interface and OS but the Nexus itself - at least the one I have - is a piece of garbage.

First and foremost it crashes. A lot. Or sometimes a little. It's completely random though since 4.4.3 it hasn't done it so I don't know if that solved it. It's not app specific and has even happened when on voice calls. Freezes solid for about five seconds then reboots itself. Sometimes it would do it twice in a row three times a day, sometimes I could go weeks without a crash.

The GPS tracking has always been very poor. I'd find that as I drive along and watch the screen to navigate it would show me as stationary about 500m back from my current position. It would then quickly zoom to my location and lag again. Makes it really fun trying to find your frigging turn.

Lastly and possibly some of the most maddening is my data is non-existent on voice calls. Not just slow but totally gone DESPITE the phone showing it's on HSPA. I know it won't do simultaneous voice and LTE but I can't use data AT ALL on a voice call. Worse yet once I hang up the POS is stuck in that mode, still showing a data connection, but if you try to browse, use maps, check email or anything that uses data, it will churn for a half minute then tell you you're not connected to the network. It will usually start working a few minutes after a voice call but that's totally unacceptable.

I've come pretty close to making this thing live up to the Kit Kat theme and snapping it in half. Please advise what I should do with it before it gets to that point. I can warranty it through Fido but that means I won't have it for at least 2 weeks and I'm running a business here. I can't be without the phone for even a day. Thanks all.
    I would try clearing the cache in recovery. Here is how: [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    crxssi likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

If it is doing that stock, that is not normal. I would consider RMA-ing it. I've had 2 Nexus 5's and neither had that issue.

Again,
    mine is tracking in real time. The only time I see crappy GPS respknse is inside buildings. If you are in a car or outside, that should not be happening.

The issues you are having sound like bad hardware to me. I would call Google and RMA it.

https://support.google.com/googlepla.../2411741?hl=en

You will need to request a call (here - https://support.google.com/googlepla...?hl=en#contact )...there is not a number you can call yourself. Your request a callback from the website and google calls you.

I've been through this process and while it can seem tedious (they require you do a factory reset as part of the process for example) they are pretty accommodating. They will even send you the new unit immediately without you having to send yours back first.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

When I did it, a factory reset did solve my problem. So it is possible it really is an app that is causing the problems (it was in my case). But RMA is a good final solution. The stuff you are describing is not normal on the Nexi I have seen personally.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks fellas, I'll try getting a call from Google and see how they can help. I did phone their Play Store help line once and while the girl was empathetic and sincere, she said since I didn't buy it from the Play store I had to go through my provider. I'll see what the link above is like.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

Thanks fellas, I'll try getting a call from Google and see how they can help. I did phone their Play Store help line once and while the girl was empathetic and sincere, she said since I didn't buy it from the Play store I had to go through my provider. I'll see what the link above is like.
    She's right. It is only Google's problem if you bought it through Google. If you bought it through a vendor (like T-Mobile's store), you'd have to go through them.

If you bought it in January you can't RMA it. But you should still have a warranty on it. You'd have to contact LG on that, but google has the info here:
    https://support.google.com/googlepla...070585,3457226 - You vendor (like T-Mobile for example) might be able to facilitate the warranty return for you. But at the very least, LG themselves will provide service on it.

If you did a factory reset and it is still giving you problems, it sounds like something the warranty would cover.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,794 Global Posts

You are wasting your time if you have not tried a factory reset yet.

Step 1) Wipe the cache partition and try using it
    Step 2) Remove all added apps, slowly, in groups, and try using it to see if it is a bad app
    Step 3) Factory reset and try using it WITHOUT INSTALLING ANY OTHER APPS
    Step 4) Contact for warranty return
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G