Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG Warranty Scam

OK, my microphone decided to go toes up on my Nexus 5. Shipped this off to LG to be repaired, and got an email telling me that it's physically damaged and that it's going to cost $150 to do a "Full refurb."

I got the attached photo as "proof."

I don't even know what that's supposed to be, or why that would necessitate $150 to replace a $25 (Retail) daughterboard. I think I'm being scammed, especially since my phone was pristine when I shipped it to them. Any ideas?

LG Warranty Scam-1.jpg

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Default Re: LG Warranty Scam

I'm not defending them by any means, just explaining what their reasoning probably is. The warranty is basically void the second there's the slightest bit of damage. And if that crack was there, or even happened during shipping, it could've been from a drop, which could've in turn killed the mic. Definitely not fair, but not technically a scam. Had something similar happen to me, so now I always take pictures when I have to send a device in. Try looking around online to see if anyone else has a stress crack similar to that. I've seen that happen before just from the location where the button is being pressed repeatedly, and if it had happened to others, you can claim it's a manufacturer defect.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Turns out it's a crack in the volume key, and you're 100% right. As soon as I pony up the $150 to have the back panel fixed (Costs around $30 online) they'll replace the daughterboard.

Grrrrr.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts

I don't think that's the back panel, looks more like the mid frame to me. Sort of a big deal to swap the screen and glass off of that I think, $150 might not be unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by maxburn View Post
    I don't think that's the back panel, looks more like the mid frame to me. Sort of a big deal to swap the screen and glass off of that I think, $150 might not be unreasonable.
    Yup. That crack is in the frame. The display is glued to the frame, so to replace the frame they replace the display as well. That's is why it is $150.

Posted via Android Central App

I put my phone in a case from day one. I had some issues with it, so I decided to send it back to Google. When I took it out the case they where two cracks one by the Sim card and one by the power button. Google still replace the phone no charges

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Stock for now

Wow, never noticed them before this post but I've definitely got those stress "cracks" near the power button and sim card tray. Doesn't really take away from the phone and I'm not terribly disappointed (I think its par for the course for any plastic based phone). As noted previously, given the effort and what would be replaced $150 isn't a terrible price to pay since they'll have to replace a bunch of parts.

Jeff
    Nexus 5, Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Moto Q, Curve, PPC-6700, just to name a few
    I've been borderline addicting to getting new cell phones since 1998