Has anyone tried ART?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried ART? I just gave it a try and my N5 got stuck in the boot screen, I had to reinstall the factory image to recover. My N5 is rooted but it's using the factory image. I also have Nova Launcher on the system, don't know if either of those things are the problem or if ART doesn't work.

GoBucks811

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Been using ART since I got my N5 in early January. I am on the stock rom and rooted. Can't speak to Nova causing a problem since I am using the stock launcher. Haven't had any issues at all with ART. Some apps are not compatible I have read, but I have yet to run across any trouble. Don't really know if it gave any performance or battery gains since I only used Dalvik for a few days before switching to ART.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Moon + reader, Monument Valley and Chase credit card app have some pretty big issues under ART with unexpected behavior then crashing. I had to switch both my nexus 7 and 5 back to normal.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I received my new Nexus 5 at the beginning of June and the very first thing I did, before installing any apps at all, was switch from the Dalvik virtual machine to ART. So I am unable to comment on any performance improvement, although that has been well reported. What I can say is that nothing seems to be broken, compared with my previous phone which was a Galaxy S2 LTE running Ice Cream Sandwich. Hmmm... well, maybe my service provider's (Telstra) weather app is not so robust under ART. But maybe that's a 4.4.3 thing.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I did a fresh install of the 4.4.4 factory image and re-rooted. Now when I try to switch to ART nothing happens. To be exact, I select ART in the developer options and then let it reboot. When the phone comes back up it's still running DALVIK. Is there another step besides selecting ART under developer options or does it not work in 4.4.4?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like you're better off staying with dalvik. ART will be optimized for the next major release of android. I used art for a while, but had a couple issues and went back to dalvik. I can wait a few extra milliseconds for stuff to load if it means being stable.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I attempted to switch to ART earlier today on my m7 and now I'm stuck at the boot screen. Anyone know how I can switch back?? :'(

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
That's what happened to me on my N5. I've read that it has to recompile all of your apps and that it can take a long time. I only waited about 20 minutes before I gave up, you might want to wait an hour. I wasn't able to do a factory reset, that might be a time thing also, I waited 10 minutes for the reformat to complete and it didn't. I ended up flashing the 4.4.4 factory image with the install_all.sh script, that worked fine.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
That's what happened to me on my N5. I've read that it has to recompile all of your apps and that it can take a long time. I only waited about 20 minutes before I gave up, you might want to wait an hour. I wasn't able to do a factory reset, that might be a time thing also, I waited 10 minutes for the reformat to complete and it didn't. I ended up flashing the 4.4.4 factory image with the install_all.sh script, that worked fine.

It does take a while for all the apps to optimize after you switch to ART. It took about 45 minutes (or more) when I switched last winter. So if anyone wants to switch, you need to allow for that. The more apps you have, the longer it will take.

PPP mcleod2

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I moved to ART a couple days ago on both my N5 and N7. No issues on the N7 but today I tried running ESPN's WatchESPN at lunch today (to watch the world cup) and it would not run.

Reverted back to Dalvik and all was well.

Posted via Android Central App

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have been using ART on my Nexus 5 and 7. None of my devices are rooted. I don't see a difference maybe with the new software.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been on ART for about two weeks now on both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 and for about 2 months on my Nexus 4.

ART does not seem to make a day to day difference with regards to speed, but battery life is much improved.

Again none of this is scientific, but each morning I would be down to 88% after approx 2 hours and now I am down to about 97% after two hours, so if ART is improving my battery life, AWESOME!, if not, also AWESOME as my battery life is better.

Dan

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been using ART since I found out about it, maybe last November? Not rooted. No problems with my apps. When you enable it the system will compile every app into an executable then, instead of doing it at run time(when you select it from your screen) so yes, you have to wait a bit for this to happen. After that you are good. For me every app starts and runs faster. Some say they notice no difference, but I did. Even system response is snapper. It. can't be that bad because Google is moving to that in Android L.

Posted via Android Central App

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been using ART since I got my nexus in November! No problems whatsoever. Great standby battery time

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I switched to ART on day 2 of owning the phone. Been using it for months. Noticed a huge battery drain different almost immeidately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton