Has anyone tried ART?

dash_blaze

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I tried ART on moto E, the experience was buggy and a lot of force closes, not all apps are optimised to run on ART, not yet. I noticed some battery issues as well. And ART apps are definitely larger . I didn't notice any major performance improvements, I mean it prolly was a few milliseconds quicker when loading up an app. But this beta anyway. Can't wait to see Android L

rrollar

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Been using ART since I first turned on my N5. Can't say it's been anything bad. Would like to see what this new ART they are working on for the L release.

Posted via Android Central App

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I tried ART on moto E, the experience was buggy and a lot of force closes, not all apps are optimised to run on ART, not yet. I noticed some battery issues as well. And ART apps are definitely larger . I didn't notice any major performance improvements, I mean it prolly was a few milliseconds quicker when loading up an app. But this beta anyway. Can't wait to see Android L
By default ART makes apps larger. The theory is that ART has pre-compiled the app so it doesn't have to every time it start, while Dalvek saves space by compiling on the fly. ART in theory should run faster (no compile) and save battery (compiling takes CPU resources, which eat battery), and should be particularly good for background services. This is why many ART users find better battery life with extended idle time when only background services are using power.

In theory, if the app works properly, ART should be a battery saver. in practice, it's not always 100% the case, but that's likely some compatability issues. There's a good chance ART will eventually be the default for Android eventually though.

karimpas7

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I use ART for 2 months now, I haven't got any issues with any apk. Battery for me a tiny extra performance. From what I have read ART helps android at long idle time to reduce the lag of the device... Is that right or I misunderstand it...?

slab0meat

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I had been using ART for awhile, with no noticeable differences. However, MLB At Bat's live video isn't compatible, so I had to go back..

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I had been using ART for awhile, with no noticeable differences. However, MLB At Bat's live video isn't compatible, so I had to go back..
In my experience (switched to ART sometime in December) there were two apps that would not work which were used for locating campgrounds. I switched back to Dalvik for a vacation trip in February and didn't think much about it until this week when it was announced that Android "L" would use ART as a virtual machine. A couple of days later BOTH of the apps I had problems with updated (along with Google Maps which both apps used). Switching to ART revealed that they now both work perfectly. I think we will see other apps optimized for ART in the coming months.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I started using ART shortly before Android 5 came out. My Nexus 5 is stock, except for running ART before I got Android 5. I didn't see any change in anything and didn't have any problems. I think ART is part of the package with Android 5 and Android 6.

I'm responding only to Anders. I don't approve of zombie threads that are raised from the dead.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463