Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 3 Post By gidgiddonihah
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone feel like helping me flash Android L on my Nexus 5?

I have a Nexus 5, I have a windows computer, cable, and nexus 5, and I am looking to flash the recently released factory image. Any help would be great. Let me know if you want to do this via hangout or whatever. Thanks in advance

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone feel like helping me flash Android L on my Nexus 5?

Here is the link to the images,
    Setting Up the Preview SDK | Android Developers

If you have to ask how to install them then you probably shouldn't. These are early betas likely to have lots of problems. If you aren't comfortable with the process of rooting your phone and installing ROMs then this isn't the place to start. To get comfortable I'd start with the 4.4.4 factory images. Google for instructions about rooting your phone and installing ROMs. You will need to download the Android SDK as well as the image tarball.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre Amicone View Post
    I have a Nexus 5, I have a windows computer, cable, and nexus 5, and I am looking to flash the recently released factory image. Any help would be great. Let me know if you want to do this via hangout or whatever. Thanks in advance
    I agree with bjr. If you don't know how to, chances are you don't want to risk it. The only way to get the Preview on your phone is using the Flash-All script. Follow these instructions.

I think the point of the post was to learn how to do it. Where did you all gain the knowledge to flash? I also am interested in learning how.

Posted via Android Central App

(Moderator Note :edited out QUOTE)

Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post
    I think the point of the post was to learn how to do it. Where did you all gain the knowledge to flash? I also am interested in learning how.

Posted via Android Central App
    I gained knowledge through reading the XDA posts on rooting, flashing, etc. I also learned through trial, error, and failures. I have bricked one device: my first time trying this world out for a spin - a Samsung Galaxy S2. I was able to restore it so the device would boot but wouldn't output or input sound - I took it to the AT&T store acting ignorant and they exchanged it for me . I am a bad person haha - maybe the reason my avatar is Darth Vadar. The good news is that a Nexus device is virtually impossible (you would have to work really hard) to brick.

And as always, if you have a question, we try our best to help out!

There are may methods and advices on Internet,and you could just Geogle it.

Global Posts
    388 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    I agree with bjr. If you don't know how to, chances are you don't want to risk it. The only way to get the Preview on your phone is using the Flash-All script. Follow these instructions.
    Now just to clarify one thing I've read to things one is saying you data will be erased and I read somewhere else on how the data was saved. Which one is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jweimn View Post
    Now just to clarify one thing I've read to things one is saying you data will be erased and I read somewhere else on how the data was saved. Which one is correct?
    The Flash-All script will scrub your device clean of all system and user data. It actually formats each partition before writing to it. That means everything will be gone. My recommendation is to back everything up that is dear to you. Pictures, SMS, app data, etc.

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts

There is a way to modify the script to save the data by changing a switch but I wouldn't do that if I were installing the L preview, I'd let it initialize everything. You shouldn't have anything on your phone that you can't restore easily, The apps are restored automatically after a fresh install. The settings can be backed up with Helium to your Dropbox or Google Drive, if you haven't done that you should even if you aren't planning to do a factory reset. Your pictures should also be in Dropbox or Google Drive, you can set that to happen automatically. Another way to easily back things up is by using ES File Explorer to transfer files to your computer via WiFI. Do a SAMBA export of some directories on your computer (in Windows speak that's turning on Sharing). ES File Explorer can see your network so all you have to do is copy from the local storage to the shared directory. It can also see your cloud storage if you want to copy it there.

Global Posts
    388 Global Posts

The Flash-All script will scrub your device clean of all system and user data. It actually formats each partition before writing to it. That means everything will be gone. My recommendation is to back everything up that is dear to you. Pictures, SMS, app data, etc.
    Yea that's what I had figured. Thank you

You also need to be aware that every major OS update breaks or wounds hundreds or thousands of apps and it can take a long while for developers to recognize the issues, find the necessary fixes, test and implement.

The earlier in the cycle you install a new OS, the more grief you have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    You also need to be aware that every major OS update breaks or wounds hundreds or thousands of apps and it can take a long while for developers to recognize the issues, find the necessary fixes, test and implement.

The earlier in the cycle you install a new OS, the more grief you have to deal with.
    Actually, I haven't found an app yet that doesn't work at least almost perfectly. It was what Google was proud of at IO, that most developers would have to do very little or nothing to get their apps to run on 5.0.

Actually, I haven't found an app yet that doesn't work at least almost perfectly. It was what Google was proud of at IO, that most developers would have to do very little or nothing to get their apps to run on 5.0.
    Ummm...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...android-l.html

My opinion is wait till it is a full stable and released version that is rooted and made into a flashable zip file

Nexus 5 via Tapatalk