Official Nexus 5 Android L Thread

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I am considering moving back to 4.4.4 until the next release. I just looked and according to the battery stats I spent 7% of my day without signal. Granted I did play around with airplane mode for a few so a few percentage points goes to that, but I should be sitting at 0, or almost. MMS not working is also disappointing and Spotify seems to really hate Android L. For those curious, battery life is right around what I would have gotten stock 4.4.4. It doesn't come close to my tweaked out Franco build.

Samar Yajurvedi

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Official Nexus 5 Android L Thread?

hello,
i installed android L developers version yesterday. ITs all smooth with a few minor hitches. I cant seem to find the android L keyboard. The voice recognition for" ok Google" is far less sensitive. At times you have to say it right into the mic. lol...
The speed dial/ dialer screen pops up everytime I unlock my phone, despite closing it, it pops up everytime. Its a bug for sure.
Lastly, and more importantly , I cant receive calls!!! Ridiculous!!! The phone rings but I cant find the screen to accept calls, and yes if any app is running at the time of the phone ringing, that app hangs temporarily.

Thank you.
I hope someone can let me know if google will have OTA updates for developers for L, or like patches from the net for these bugs.

Samar Yajurvedi

bleached

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
If you swipe up it unlocks the phone normally. If you swipe to the left it opens the camera and if you swipe to the right it opens the phone. Are you always swiping to the right?

Posted via Android Central App

mjytub

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I am facing an issue with whatsapp on my N5 with 4.4.4. I installed it initially and was working fine. But, after few messages it stopped sending or receiving messages. It is showing message- /unble to connect to internet'. I changed from dalvik to ART but still the problem persisted. Now i am back on dalvik and still no whatsapp. I have uninstalled and installed a number of times but it was of no use. Please help me with this problem. I am having a working data connection. I even did a factory reset but of no use.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I am facing an issue with whatsapp on my N5 with 4.4.4. I installed it initially and was working fine. But, after few messages it stopped sending or receiving messages. It is showing message- /unble to connect to internet'. I changed from dalvik to ART but still the problem persisted. Now i am back on dalvik and still no whatsapp. I have uninstalled and installed a number of times but it was of no use. Please help me with this problem. I am having a working data connection. I even did a factory reset but of no use.
Just for future reference, please create your own thread or post on the Nexus 5 Problems and Issues. :) We love to help out, but don't want to derail the thread.

It sounds like an app issue that you most likely will have to contact the developer about. With the factory reset and reinstalls it eliminates pretty much every other issue. It could be another app that is interfering.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

hello,
i installed android L developers version yesterday. ITs all smooth with a few minor hitches. I cant seem to find the android L keyboard. The voice recognition for" ok Google" is far less sensitive. At times you have to say it right into the mic. lol...
The speed dial/ dialer screen pops up everytime I unlock my phone, despite closing it, it pops up everytime. Its a bug for sure.
Lastly, and more importantly , I cant receive calls!!! Ridiculous!!! The phone rings but I cant find the screen to accept calls, and yes if any app is running at the time of the phone ringing, that app hangs temporarily.

Thank you.
I hope someone can let me know if google will have OTA updates for developers for L, or like patches from the net for these bugs.

Samar Yajurvedi
Really you are complaining so much for a developer preview?
You are unlocking by swiping to the right that's why it opens the dialer, that's a new feature in L. Unlock by sliding up then it takes you to the home screen. Receiving call works just fine and there are many of them using just fine. And as far as ota for the developer preview it is possible that Google pushes incremental fixes over the air, but don't be surprised if they keep posting system images with fixes.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

I missed several calls from work (dropped signal due to the buggy radio) and have been forced to officially move back to 4.4.4. I just flashed the Flash-All script and I am setting 4.4.4 back up. I will still continue to support this thread and update with the issues and concerns people have.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Folks this is a developer preview it is not meant for general use and definitely not a complete distribution. It is designed to let developers try their applications with the latest libraries. Expect some apps to crash and for features not to work or not exist.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Folks this is a developer preview it is not meant for general use and definitely not a complete distribution. It is designed to let developers try their applications with the latest libraries.

I'm reposting this... At some point people are going to have it sink in that this isn't a full release.

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite pleased with it, and use it as my daily driver. There are a few security oriented apps I can no longer use because they have some kind of network connection error, but I have a backup nandroid that I can revert to if necessary. I also had problems playing podcasts with my favorite app, but I installed my second favorite player and everything is working. I regularly make and receive voice calls with good results so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

fredphoesh

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

hello,

Thank you.

Samar Yajurvedi

Did you wipe your phone?
OK google is perfect for me, and the phone is working normally...
So its either the installation or your phone... but not the L preview.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site

MMS isn't working on bell in canada either. Some T-Mobile people got it working by playing around with the APN settings in android and in hangouts. Me, not so lucky.

I had signal issues too. But I just flashed the 4.4.4 radio and it has improved.

virulentt

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site

My camera didn't work at all (Crashes after one picture, and apps says "Can't connect to camera". It needed a reboot.
Also Maps kept crashing on start.

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

So far it's just Netflix for me. i haven't tried any of the games i have installed, but i just assume most of them wouldn't work.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

I just installed L on my Nexus 5. I have no lock screen (power button turns phone on/off thats it), the pull down menu will only come down about half an icon, and my home button doesnt do anything. Anyone else have this issue?

*Edit: I did a factory reset from the settings menu and that fixed it. Well that was weird...

I have seen this (Optimus G). This is the behavior from the initial setup wizard. In order to turn it off you have to fire the activity that finishes setup. I think it is "am start -n com.google.android.setupwizard/com.google.android.setupwizard.SetupCompleteActivity" or maybe ...SetupExitActivity. You can do this from adb shell or terminal emulator, or use an app like QuickShortcutMaker.

Paletta2

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
MMS, problem on L preview, T-Mobile, I'm using Hello SMS and MMS works perfectly. Give it a go.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lcampbe

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I didn't see another thread so I thought I should throw one up there for Nexus 5 users. Feel free to share your thoughts, concerns, bugs, etc. I plan on organizing this into a list of bugs and requested features if there isn't already something like this here.

Verified means that I have two or more people that have reported the problem. Unverified means that I just have one person that has reported the problem.

Bugs
Verified
*MMS will not send on AT&T (APN changes do nothing - please let me know if other carriers have this issue)
*Somewhat laggy here and there

Unverified
*Buggy (Disappearing, etc) Drop Down Toggles
*Tweetcaster Pro Crashes Constantly
*HDR+ is slow. Almost twice as long as KitKat
*Tethering is buggy. Client will not connect and data connection becomes unusable until airplane mode is toggled (no access but icons are white)
*Cell Radio seems a bit buggy - time without signal is higher than it should be

**I can't get Bluetooth audio to work in my car or jambox. I have the Nexus 5.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Might be a dumb question (i googled a bit but found nothing):

Why "L" ? What does it mean? Is ist because it's 5.0 ... and the Latin letter for 50 is "L" ??

Just curious...